Scoring -- What is your comfort level?

I can see some categories here. I see myself as a senior golfer who has many years under his belt and may have peaked. I also see younger golfers who have been playing only a few years who have room to grow their game and hopefully one day, can settle into their preferred skill level. I see skilled golfers who shoot consistently around par but who also realize that is going to be it (their zone) and are happy with it.

If by comfort level you mean level of satisfaction with scores then I am usually satisfied with breaking 80 which is pretty much my average year round give or take a shot.

Another meaning of comfort level could be when playing and scoring well enough to be ok but not good enough to cause stress. For me if I am close to par with only three or four holes to play I start getting a little anxious because of one long time goal to break 70. So at that point, I am out of my comfort zone.

Being out of my comfort zone is probably why I do better in tournaments if not leading after the first day, I am more comfortable coming from the pack the second day than being in the lead. On the other hand, if it is a one on one type of setting, play off or similar, I am very comfortable and play tough.

For me, anything around 40 per side is good. Mid to high eighties, and anything around ninety is no good. Can't be happy with that.

I have gone from shooting mid to high 90's to low to mid 80's in the last 9 months, and I've done most of it with my short game from 50 yards and in. I hit hundreds a pitch and chips in my back yard each week.

My comfort zone now would be high 70's to mid 80's and my goal is to get to a single digit handicap.

if i could get back to my consistent high 70's and on the great days mid 70's i would be super happy, this year hasnt been a very good one for scoring low for me, have been in the low to mid 80's most of the year as last year i was in the 70's mentioned above. I had more time last year to practice as well so that might have something to do with it, im playing 18 tomorrow morning so we shall see how it goes, i think i figured out what ive been doing wrong the last 2 rounds so it should be a interesting round

This is a tough one to answer. Right now, anything under 78 I am happy with right now.

However, I am always trying to improve and I put the time into it and starting to see results. I believe everyone is capable with the right tools to be a great golfer. I am also the type of person that is never satisfied (afterwords), with how I played. There are always mistakes that I want to fix and know I can fix.

So to answer your question I would say my uncomfort level will be the day when I settle on just playing the same.

My comfort level is mid to upper 70s right now with the limited time i'm able to put into the game.

This is a tough one to answer. Right now, anything under 78 I am happy with right now.

However, I am always trying to improve and I put the time into it and starting to see results. I believe everyone is capable with the right tools to be a great golfer. I am also the type of person that is never satisfied (afterwords), with how I played. There are always mistakes that I want to fix and know I can fix.

So to answer your question I would say my uncomfort level will be the day when I settle on just playing the same.

Unless the same is a 65 every round huh ?

Unless the same is a 65 every round huh ?

Tiger woods won a us open and right after completely revamped his swing to improve. Not even pros are satisfied with complacency.

I really don't have a comfort level. I'm usually pretty unsatisfied with whatever I shot, because I know I left shots out there! LOL> But Right now I'm really happy with anything that is around 80 or just below it.

I hate anything over 80, even though as a 7 index shooting over 80 is a given. Had my old high school coach tell me 80 is like kissing your sister. Since we don't do that in Cheeseland, 75 to 78 is where I want to be, a peak at par now and then would be great. What bugs me is when I do shoot 75 or 76, it doesn't seem that hard. Keep it in play, hit a fair amount of greens, get up and down 70-80% on those you don't, don't make a double bogey, and 78 shouldn't be that hard. Hit two short irons close and make a couple birdies and you have 76. That's what I want. If I don't make a double bogey I almost always break 80.

But I'm 50 and my time to go really low has probably passed. I went too long being a once a week player to ever be really good, though for a few years I played to a 2 oh so very long ago.

Kevin

Of course everyone wants to shoot better golf and that is the intention every time we tee it up. Shoot for the stars and if you land on your front porch consistently you either learn to play comfortable there, improve via lessons etc. or pout. One of the reasons I started this thread is to show folks how many of us have a pattern and plateau, and we should always strive to do better, but if that's not happening, you need to find your comfort zone. I am not saying that zone can not be improved and by all means the younger players on here should work like heck to reach their peak. Once you climb to the top of your mountain, you need to be comfortable with it or this game will whup your booty.

If I could consistently shoot in the 80's I'd be very happy but for each round I shoot in the 80's I'm shooting 4 in the low 90's. I haven't played good, consistent golf for a year now and I'm hoping that now I'm on a path that will take my game into the 80's to stay

Of course everyone wants to shoot better golf and that is the intention every time we tee it up. Shoot for the stars and if you land on your front porch consistently you either learn to play comfortable there, improve via lessons etc. or pout. One of the reasons I started this thread is to show folks how many of us have a pattern and plateau, and we should always strive to do better, but if that's not happening, you need to find your comfort zone. I am not saying that zone can not be improved and by all means the younger players on here should work like heck to reach their peak. Once you climb to the top of your mountain, you need to be comfortable with it or this game will whup your booty.

I gotcha. One step at a time. Have a goal and hit it consistently then find another goal. You're always wanting to get better at this game but sometimes you have to accept reality.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

I'm pretty happy with my consistent low 80's right now with a couple high 70's tossed in, but it's really not that great of score when you figure how easy some of those courses are. If I go to Florida or even the truely tough courses here I'll likely be back to the high scores. I'd be happy if I could shoot mid 80's on the tough courses consistantly.

I think it is all related to the current state of your game and realizing the better you get, the better you want to be. When I was a 90s player, I thought I would be happy shooting in the 80s; until I got there. Once I was consistently shooting in the 80s, I thought I would be happy if I could just shoot in the 70s. Now that I am in the 70s, I want to break 70 (figure always in the 60s is not obtainable). I am content scoring in the upper 70s, but I really want to be lower 70s. I guess the reason I am not content is that I know I can play better; just need to eliminate the couple of bad holes a round.

+1 I agree.

I think that comfort zones can be somewhat debilitating in that if I get the feeling that "I'm there", then what's my motivation to get better?

Don't get me wrong and don't think that I'm sounding pompous or arrogant and I certainly wouldn't be unhappy with steadily shooting rounds in the 70's. But deep down inside I know I can do better and I always use "par or better" as my goal whenever I tee it up. I may or may not ever shoot in the 60's but I've shot enough sub-par nines to know that I can and so I always keep trying to get there and if I ever get to the point where I'm happy with any single score, then I think I'd quit playing because for me there would be little point in continuing if I'm not going to try to do better.

I would be comfortable if I shot high 70's consistantly. Right now I'm low 80's consistantly, and for the life of me can't seem to break that 80 mark. I don't need to be a scratch golfer (I want to be and thats what I"m shooting for) but for now I would be very happy to shoot in the high 70's most rounds.

The state of my game is in flux right now and my comfort zone would be in the low 90's even at a course I haven't played before or in a while. I'd like to get to consistently be in the 80's by the start of next season and we'll go from there.

I would be comfortable if I shot high 70's consistantly. Right now I'm low 80's consistantly, and for the life of me can't seem to break that 80 mark. I don't need to be a scratch golfer (I want to be and thats what I"m shooting for) but for now I would be very happy to shoot in the high 70's most rounds.

This is the answer I was looking for and agree with +100000

I am comfortable shooting in the low 80's or high 70's, right now with the back acting up I am happy in the mid 80's. But really I am happy with just about any score if I finish strong over the last 3 or 4 holes and don't mess up the round, or either save the round from going bad.

I guess it depends where I start doing some consistent shooting.....I have been shooting in the low 80's for the past couple of months and am pretty comfortable....
Problem is....I am starting to reach for lower scores.......so..I would feel comfortable from the upper 70's to low 80's on an average basis....

Would like to break 80, although it seems I have a journey ahead of me. Although the day I actually break 80 I´ll probably find another target.

I have a little different approach. I don't start a round with a particular score in mind. Instead, I focus on the things I need to do in order to be successful such as concentrate and commit to each shot, not over swinging, taking time on putts, etc. If i can do these things, then the scores take care of themselves. The problem with focusing too much on scores sometimes, is that once you start going over your "target" I can be a little discouraging to finish the round. Or you end up putting too much pressure on yourself to try and make up some shots.

Back