Scotty Cameron - Old vs New

I think the allure of Scottys is more synonymous with the “older” putter models vs the new. The new is merely a byproduct of its old success.

Nonetheless, they still make good putters but I’d prefer old vs new

Old school fan myself, even though I game a 2014 Newport...

from a personal perspective, I think the Studio Design milling, and the Studio Select milling were they best they created.

I love line variables and a less manufactured profile, where there is some variance and uniqueness to the look. Studio Design absolutely nailed that.

I prefer the older models. Everytime I see an old scotty I think it looks great. Something about the new ones makes me put them right back down. Feels almost commercialized now for the OTR versions.

I was never a Scotty fan until I owned one but I like the older models that seem to have a little bit something extra to them compared to the never models that look like they roll off an assembly line.

I don't really have a preference to be honest. I think both are and look great.

I prefer the newer models. Sure, the older models hold the nostalgia, but I honestly think that the newer models refine and improve upon those original designs with each iteration.

Love my 2019 Fastback!

They both look good... I like the flame coloring on the old one... and the metal insert on the new one. I think it would look totally awesome if the metal insert was on a base of springs and looked steampunkish.

Ooh! An idea for a putter. I'll start a company! All I need is a milling machine. Some bar stock. Some skills.... nevermind.

Tough call. I have never rolled either but just off looks the older model is just classic, with that being said the new kind has that wow factor to it. So I would have to say new, although I sure wouldn't turn down an old one.

This years release is good. The last with the insert was so bad. I still love the looks of a Circa 62 #3 and all of those were good. Although by todays standards pretty light.

Tough to beat pro platinum's though.

I love them all. My Flowback 5.5 is a great design for me and the craftsmanship is just flawless.

I've ran through these 5 scotty's -
2000 pro platinum coronado mid slant - putter head was to thin looking but gamed a long time
2003 futura - different, fun and made a lot of putts with it
2010 california hollywood - probably the best looking scotty ive owned
2014 golo s5 - center shafted and deep milled, i like the idea of the center shaft but it kind of through off my sight over the ball
current gamer 2015 select squareback - deep milled, feels the best, crisscross sight helps with alignment, love this putter

im going with the newish style due to the deep milled faces, phantoms and concepts can have wild look but..

This is one I’ve always wanted to try.

870EBAE1-9ED1-47E3-823C-AFB8FEE40F8B.png

I'd have to go new school since I'm a fan of mallets.

I'm a way bigger fan of the older models vs. the new. To me the older models seem like they have more craftsmanship to them and feel more "special" I guess. The new ones just seem like the same thing done over and over and more of a mass produced product without character.

As far as favorite model, I had a Studio Select Laguna that I wish I never got rid of. It seemed like I made everything with that thing and I stupidly sold it to try a Bettinardi. That's a redo I wish I could have. My other favorite is one a Pro was using at a Dakota Tours event. It was a one of a kind Studio Select, weld neck, center shaft Squareback that was a think of beauty.

This is one I’ve always wanted to try.

View attachment 8934845

A guy I played Sim League with had one like that and I thought it was such a cool looking putter. I never had the courage to ask if I could roll it and wish I would have.

Much prefer some of the older models. Even the font used for the Scotty Cameron text looks cooler in the older stuff.

I gotta go with the now.

The three red dots are just too pretty to pass up :love:

Although,I do love the rainbow color finish on the old one.

I am a big fan of the newer style Scotty Cameron Newport 3 style putter. I had one of these styles and like changing my weights to custom pictures. I had those superman picture weights on mine.

@KEV
the dakota tour event putter you seen probably came out of his gallery shop creations by your description, or not made for the public and made for pros unless you got 2-5K, I've seen some over 10K. Those I believe are "craftsmanship and special".

I gotta go with the now.

The three red dots are just too pretty to pass up :love:

Although,I do love the rainbow color finish on the old one.
This was pretty much my exact though too.

Can you like both? I have the new studio select Del Mar and really like the look and feel of it.

Back