Scotty Cameron - Old vs New

I like the look of the new ones better. Didn't have much of an urge to try the old ones, but I do now because of the look.

Much prefer today's versions.... cleaner, feels more solid to me; just a better design imo

So glad you posted this @Canadan . As such, I'll be throwing this in the bag this weekend.

SC Cavity.jpgSC Face.jpgSC Sole.jpgScotty Logo.jpg

In case it's not obvious, I'll go with the Old-School. Though, my Studio Style is only 15 years old.

Have been keeping my eye out for a good price on a used scotty. Do these tend to perform well after years of use? It seems like they hold their value better than any other club.

I know Tiger has played his forever...

@KEV
the dakota tour event putter you seen probably came out of his gallery shop creations by your description, or not made for the public and made for pros unless you got 2-5K, I've seen some over 10K. Those I believe are "craftsmanship and special".
Yep, you're correct. The player was telling me about his trips there and how he's tried a couple different putters but always goes back to it. I don't blame him one but.

It is hard to decide which one. The older I think have more appeal.

Based on looks alone i prefer the new ones. Buddy of mine who I plsy b.v eith regularly has a new one, and it looks really sharp.

i must not have the same nostalgia about them as i like the new ones better.

I gotta go with the now.

The three red dots are just too pretty to pass up :love:

Although,I do love the rainbow color finish on the old one.
I think he calls the new ones lifesavers hahaha

I like the big fat cherry bombs, personally.

I think he calls the new ones lifesavers hahaha

I like the big fat cherry bombs, personally.

Lifesavers :ROFLMAO:

Cherry Bombs is definitely solid as well.

Red Rubys??

I love my 2016 NP2. I'd love to grab an older one at some point...

Fine. This is for you, too @Canadan

I'm just going to say the truth: Inserts are for pansies. I don't care if they're new or old. They don't belong on a putter. Do I care that Tiger used one for a brief period in 1997 when he won the Masters? NO! The wise man wised up and got himself a big old hunk of solid steel.

The G in GSS stands for "God-Damned-Overpriced" No person in the world can tell the difference in "feel" or "sound" in a spontaneous blind test vs American 303. The only reason it's more expensive is because Scotty thought people would buy the hype he created around it with Tiger and Norman, and Mark O'Meara. And boy did they eat it up.

This brings me to the Super Rat (Sorry Eddy, I'm going down this path: ) WTF is the point of a stainless head with a stainless insert WITHOUT something soft behind the face to enhance the sense of feel? OOOOH you put some caulk in the face. Hooray!
The SR is a beautiful putter, with the original being the better of the two, but it's utterly pointless. I think it serves the same purpose as a hole cut in the sole "beached putter:" It makes it sound a little different.

Deep milling is hot garbage. More pointless changes. Scotty said it made the putter "feel" softer. oooooooookkkk. It's still a hunk of metal.

We all know where I stand on mallets, so Scotty should probably just stop making those altogether.

Remember the Napa? Now THAT is a putter. Right @AnthonyC ?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Let's dive into the only Scotty Cameron putters you should really ever own*

Pre Titleist

Classic 1
Classic 1 AOP (I know this is plated, but holy moly she's pretty)

Titleist era

Classic Newport/Newport2
AOP Newport/Newport2
Napa
Early holiday specials

Skip over the pro platinum garbage because plating sucks. And if you ever buy a mid slant, we can't be friends.

Studio Stainless models are cool
Studio Select models are cool if you, for some reason, need a heavy head. But be prepared to spend more $ on weights. (what's wrong with lead tape? Geez!)

End of list

*This list is OTR stuff - there are A LOT of hand crafted tour sticks you should own, but we'll decide whether or not you should move forward on a case by case basis.

There, I've grazed the iceberg of how I really feel.

Last edited:
Well now that we got that out of the way... lol
Yeah I mean I’d love to own something other than an OTR, if I had the cash I sure would and I’d game it. Not everyone is in the same position as you in a lot of ways most of all financially to even consider a tour stick. So most of all, people do what they can and are happy with OTR trash just like I am. I get it, I understand some of your points. And I’ll apologize now, I owned a pro platinum Coronado mid slant, I guess we can’t be friends. I was like 20 and it was my first Cameron... 🤷‍♂️

Love the simpler looks of the older ones. Also no inserts. Have an old beat up Laguna that I really like

Well now that we got that out of the way... lol
Yeah I mean I’d love to own something other than an OTR, if I had the cash I sure would and I’d game it. Not everyone is in the same position as you in a lot of ways most of all financially to even consider a tour stick. So most of all, people do what they can and are happy with OTR trash just like I am. I get it, I understand some of your points. And I’ll apologize now, I owned a pro platinum Coronado mid slant, I guess we can’t be friends. I was like 20 and it was my first Cameron... 🤷‍♂️
What's in the past is in the past. We're good!

1585796705570.jpeg
Gun Blue Santa Fe for the win! I have one that I customized with my name on the bumpers that I would love to get refinished.

Back