Scratch golfer in the fairway, 150 yards from the pin

Which of the following is an average shot?

• On green, 20ft from hole

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • On green, 30ft from hole

Votes: 38 42.2%
  • On green, 40ft from hole

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • On green, 50ft from hole

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • In the fairway, 50ft from hole

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters

greenOak

Reaction score
Handicap
A scratch golfer is in the fairway with 150 yards to the pin. Which of the following choices do you think represents an average shot for said golfer?

Assume the approach into the green is of average difficulty.

Scratch? Id say 20'-30'. Gotta birdie or worst case 2 putt

Some variables left out, but assuming calm winds, and pin in a favorable location he/she will be inside of 30 feet high % of time.

Kinda depends on the person's skill and if they have a good number they like or not. Anything between 30-40ft would be my guess if the average tour pro is 20-30ft.

Per the PGA Tour 20th ranked from 125-150 is 19' and from 150-175 is 23'

Last place on Tour from 125-150 is 37' and last place from 150-175 is 36'.

I would say on average around 40' based on Tour data.

PGA Proximity 150-175

PGA Proximity from 125-150

I think 30-40 ft sounds reasonable.

Considering the average pro from 150 is probably around 30 feet, I voted 50 feet. I think it’s probably closer to about 45 but it would be interesting to see.

My guess it's further than most think. First thought was 10 yards, so I went little further out and picked 40 feet.

I guess it depends on your putting ability. If you putt like Morikawa, probably inside 20'. Wouldn't be scratch if you didn't excel in other facets. Otherwise, I'd say 40-50 is reasonable.

I initially voted 30 feet, but after thinking about it, changed it to 40 feet.

I voted 40 feet although on a good day that would be a miss from 150 yards. Not all days are good ball striking days, lol.

Scratch golfer on an average difficulty hole, my guess is 20’. They’ve got to be making a lot of pars with maybe a 3 putt or two, then cancels out with a couple of 10’ or less birdies. I’d say 20’.

I guess if your 30-50’ how many of those do you actually 2 putt par? I’m thinking a lot of 5’ers are left and making tap in bogey.

From that distance it's not a good shot unless it's within 20' with normal difficulty.

From that distance it's not a good shot unless it's within 20' with normal difficulty.

Scratch golfer on an average difficulty hole, my guess is 20’. They’ve got to be making a lot of pars with maybe a 3 putt or two, then cancels out with a couple of 10’ or less birdies. I’d say 20’.

Appreciate the replies, but I can't see how the average shot could possibly be 20' considering the PGA tour averages worse from this distance.

Also, I reckon its not uncommon for scratch players to take 4 strokes to hole out from 150 yards in the fairway. Here's a stat I saw recently:

Appreciate the replies, but I can't see how the average shot could possibly be 20' considering the PGA tour averages worse from this distance.

Also, I reckon its not uncommon for scratch players to take 4 strokes to hole out from 150 yards in the fairway. Here's a stat I saw recently:

The professional pin locations, green speeds, and green difficulty, is far greater than your average muni or decent club.

The professional pin locations, green speeds, and green difficulty, is far greater than your average muni or decent club.
All the tour comparisons are incredibly flawed.

I think 20 is pretty tight from 150 for any golfer.

Per the PGA Tour 20th ranked from 125-150 is 19' and from 150-175 is 23'

Last place on Tour from 125-150 is 37' and last place from 150-175 is 36'.

I would say on average around 40' based on Tour data.

PGA Proximity 150-175

PGA Proximity from 125-150

You and I are either smart. Or we’re not, lol.

I went with being an average iron player when I was scratch and I probably averaged 40ft from there. 80% were probably within 25ft but throw in an odd mishit? Number jumps severely.

Facts

There’s a big difference between the dog track in my back yard compared to Augusta. So which one are we talking about?

“For us amateurs, 90 yards and holing out in 3 is solid.” If I’m 90 out and I’m not making a par and getting down in 3, rahmbo is coming out of me, Sergios bunker blow up may be seen, a club may get tossed. Not really on the 3 stated but I’m highly anticipating making a par. I’m looking at wanting a birdie at that point. Of course this is on the dog track out back but..

“For us amateurs, 90 yards and holing out in 3 is solid.” If I’m 90 out and I’m not making a par and getting down in 3, rahmbo is coming out of me, Sergios bunker blow up may be seen, a club may get tossed. Not really on the 3 stated but I’m highly anticipating making a par. I’m looking at wanting a birdie at that point. Of course this is on the dog track out back but..

Not sure what your handicap is but unless you have a better than scratch wedge game prepare to being tossing a lot of clubs this year.

Last edited:
Back