Searching for the right ball - how much is enough?

MagicSpell

Team Hackers in 2022 Morgan Cup
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
18 ish
I recently took an inventory of my "golf closet" which is where I keep my equipment. I was a bit astonished (and maybe slightly embarrassed) to determine that I have well over 500 never used golf balls on the shelf. Much of that is due to wanting to try different balls with different characteristics and then when finding one I like not wanting to run out of them, lol. Unfortunately, now the difficulty will be that I'll likely never use many of these balls since they are several years old and I've moved on to different "gamers". While some of this inventory is older 2-piece and 3-piece cheaper balls there is still some significant investment involved. Also, while I'm now more conscious of what I have and will make every attempt to use up some of the quality balls on the shelf I sometimes can't stop thinking if there's a "better" ball to suit my game.

Am I alone in this search for golf ball nirvana? Should I be happy to just play off my inventory for the next several years regardless of new golf ball advances coming? I think I might really have a problem here.

I recently took an inventory of my "golf closet" which is where I keep my equipment. I was a bit astonished (and maybe slightly embarrassed) to determine that I have well over 500 never used golf balls on the shelf. Much of that is due to wanting to try different balls with different characteristics and then when finding one I like not wanting to run out of them, lol. Unfortunately, now the difficulty will be that I'll likely never use many of these balls since they are several years old and I've moved on to different "gamers". While some of this inventory is older 2-piece and 3-piece cheaper balls there is still some significant investment involved. Also, while I'm now more conscious of what I have and will make every attempt to use up some of the quality balls on the shelf I sometimes can't stop thinking if there's a "better" ball to suit my game.

Am I alone in this search for golf ball nirvana? Should I be happy to just play off my inventory for the next several years regardless of new golf ball advances coming? I think I might really have a problem here.

I think most all the balls produced and sold today are fine quality and offer great performance. For scoring, I don't believe playing one ball versus another would make a difference of even one shot per 18 holes.

I've been trending in the same direction lately, although not to that extreme. I have probably 8-10 dozen balls on my shelf right now, no more than 2 doz. of any one type. There are too many quality balls out there these days, and I want to try them all.

I think most all the balls produced and sold today are fine quality and offer great performance. For scoring, I don't believe playing one ball versus another would make a difference of even one shot per 18 holes.

+1
c.png

Personally, I don't think my skill level warrants spending a great deal of time on vetting golf ball options. I do think for more skilled golfers there is some merit to finding the "right" ball.

I've been trending in the same direction lately, although not to that extreme. I have probably 8-10 dozen balls on my shelf right now, no more than 2 doz. of any one type. There are too many quality balls out there these days, and I want to try them all.

I'm just the opposite. I want to find something that works and stick with it. I like my TP5, but I played a sleeve of the CSx logo balls that I brought home from the THP Championship and I would love to get some CSx Truvis balls. Not sure I'll switch for good, but I might. After talking to lostgolfballs.com, it seems they don't sort 2017/2018 balls or CS/CSx so if I order the Truvis from them, I'm gonna get 4 different types of balls. I could use the 2017 CSx during the fall/winter/early spring and save the 2018's for summer conditions, but not sure what I'd do with the CS balls as they spin way too much for me.

I'm just the opposite. I want to find something that works and stick with it.
I think to some degree that is what I had hoped for but too often I found that even the same ball would be slightly different from year to year. I have Chrome Soft balls from 2016 that I love (but can't really get anymore other than used) and Chrome Soft balls from 2017. I don't have the 2018 version because I'm not comfortable paying $4 a ball to play them. Knowing that I'll likely run out of certain balls is what tends to push me to look for other alternatives to see how they compare to what I like.

I'm just the opposite. I've only played the TP5x and the Snell MTB in the last couple years. There is very little chance I buy anything else anytime soon.

I was the same tried them all and ended up giving away a lot of balls in the process. I made the decision to stick with Snell MTB and haven't looked back for the last two years. Now I have 8 dozen Snell MTB Blacks on the shelf!!

This has been my first year back to the game in a long while and all the equipment has changed since I last played regularly. So I devoted this year to trying out a variety of different balls. I have a large enough stockpile to last me through next year as well. So by the time I start running low I will hopefully have narrowed my go-to ball choice to one or two and stick with that choice going forward.

I think to some degree that is what I had hoped for but too often I found that even the same ball would be slightly different from year to year. I have Chrome Soft balls from 2016 that I love (but can't really get anymore other than used) and Chrome Soft balls from 2017. I don't have the 2018 version because I'm not comfortable paying $4 a ball to play them. Knowing that I'll likely run out of certain balls is what tends to push me to look for other alternatives to see how they compare to what I like.

You'd be a good candidate for lostgolfballs.com.

On that note, would you be interested in splitting some CS Truvis balls from them? I could order and sort, then sell you the CS balls (I only want the CSx). Could be any year release from what they've told me. Might end up with some 2018's, too.

You'd be a good candidate for lostgolfballs.com.

On that note, would you be interested in splitting some CS Truvis balls from them? I could order and sort, then sell you the CS balls (I only want the CSx). Could be any year release from what they've told me. Might end up with some 2018's, too.
Now that's worth considering. I too noticed that they didn't sort the Chrome Soft options and didn't want to order based on not wanting the CSx variety. Though I haven't played the CSx I'm afraid it would be more dispersion off the driver for my game. I am quite happy with the CS (and wouldn't mind sampling the 2018 version at a reasonable price).

Here is my checklist
1. Does it feel soft
2. Does it spin like I need it to.

Thats it. I played the Vice Pro Soft last weekend and loved it. Do I have preferences? Sure. But I legit could play a Q-Star Tour and a ProV1x and be fine with it.

Now that's worth considering. I too noticed that they didn't sort the Chrome Soft options and didn't want to order based on not wanting the CSx variety. Though I haven't played the CSx I'm afraid it would be more dispersion off the driver for my game. I am quite happy with the CS (and wouldn't mind sampling the 2018 version at a reasonable price).

I got about 4 X's in each dozen when I ordered a few months ago.

I too have a bit of inventory in balls that i have tried during testing. Not quite to the tune of 500 though. That's crazy. I usually give some away or re gift them. Been thinking about putting some on ebay though and getting some money out of them.

I have golf partner whose son works at a golf course on grounds keeping, and every week he gives me about a doz or so balls that he finds while doing grounds keeping. I get to play all sorts of balls. The ones that work for me go into empty egg cartons, and the ones that I don't like the feel of off my club face get thrown into a box that I won't use during a round of golf.

I'll shoot you a PM. Let me check some prices.

I have a 22 handicap and figure my biggest issue is chipping, not the ball I'm using. I play balls that I find on the course, but I'm only loosing a ball per round or so these days so I'm finding far more in the bushes or ruff (while looking for mine) than I loose. Now I get to be a little picky! I've been sticking to the softer balls because I like the feel better. I often donate the rock hard ones to the driving range, I figure they will be at home there.

Whiskey

Guilty. Although many of mine were bought used, I have way too many. Same reason too, curiosity and then stocking up on what I like only to have interest piqued by another once again.

I just gave away 6 dozen and I still hafta have like 300 balls.

I used to lose A LOT of balls and not just relative to handicap. Even as a single for a long spell, I was all or nothing. Now I don't lose many at all, maybe a ball every round or four.

So I'm good for a few lifetimes.

I know that I like to use the same make and model of ball during a round as I feel i am more consistant with my putting so that naturally leads me to having preferred balls. Over the years i have tried lots of balls but never bought them in large quantities but have found balls that i prefer like the srixon Z star and the AD333. I am however waiting on a delivery of Vice balls to see how I get on.

I also only buy secondhand balls. Couple of years ago I bought 200 balls via auction. All AAA grade quality. Mainly softballs. 50-60 of them was Pro V1 or Pro V1x.

Funny thing was that I won bids on 2 auctions of 100 each. Thought I would win only one of the. No need to buy as I still have about 40 left after many years. Then again, I swap out the Pro Vs with my brother-in-law as he only plays with them. He plays quite a bit of golf days where they get a sleeve or 2 of balls. Normally they get either Noodle Long & Soft or Srixon Soft Feel.

Back