Seeking recs for Milwaukee area courses

AUWU11

Reaction score
Handicap
7.2 GHIN
We’re going to Milwaukee mid-May to play Erin Hills and the Irish Course at Whistling Straits. The group is discussing the idea of a “tune up” round our first day when we all arrive. Anyone have any good recommendations for the Milwaukee area? We’d like to have this first round be a little more affordable since we’re spending more at the other two courses. Maybe the $50-100 range, and 30 minutes or less from the city (we’re staying in an air bnb loft downtown). Thanks!

A little further at about an hour, I enjoyed my time at Geneva National. 3 courses, Palmer, Player, Trevino. 85 bucks during the week includes cart and range.

Brown Deer, Fire Ridge, and The Bog are all within 30 minutes. I really like Morning Star in Waukesha too.

Btw, Brown Deer is the only County course worth playing. Site of Tiger’s first pro tourney, where he also had a hole in one.

We’re going to Milwaukee mid-May to play Erin Hills and the Irish Course at Whistling Straits. The group is discussing the idea of a “tune up” round our first day when we all arrive. Anyone have any good recommendations for the Milwaukee area? We’d like to have this first round be a little more affordable since we’re spending more at the other two courses. Maybe the $50-100 range, and 30 minutes or less from the city (we’re staying in an air bnb loft downtown). Thanks!

A true "tune up" for Erin Hills is Washington County. It was a "farm links" course before farm links was cool. Public course, a great track, and reasonably priced. If you want to stay closer, then Brown Deer is really your only other option.

A true "tune up" for Erin Hills is Washington County. It was a "farm links" course before farm links was cool. Public course, a great track, and reasonably priced. If you want to stay closer, then Brown Deer is really your only other option.

Yes, Washington County is a gem! Bit of a haul from downtown but a phenomenal course.

I live on the wrong side of the state, but Brown Deer has been on my list for quite some time. Washington County sounds really nice though...I really need to make it over there this year.

For anyone that’d know, which of these three courses is the best, and why?

Dretzka Park
Oakwood Park
Whitnall Park

Also, is Warnimont worth playing? Looking to kill some time on Day 1 and saw this Par 3 online. Right on Lake Michigan, didn’t know if it was worth it.

Can't miss with the bull great course close to kohler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Washington county,and The Bull.

Warnimont is beat up county course. Fun drinking and not keeping score.

As far as the 3 county courses for condition 1 Oakwood, 2 Whitnall, 3 Dretzka For layout 1. Whitnall, 2 Oakwood, 3 Dretzka

For anyone that’d know, which of these three courses is the best, and why?

Dretzka Park
Oakwood Park
Whitnall Park

Also, is Warnimont worth playing? Looking to kill some time on Day 1 and saw this Par 3 online. Right on Lake Michigan, didn’t know if it was worth it.

None of the MKE County courses outside of Brown Deer are worth your time. A really good public course 35 minutes west of downtown is Nagawaukee, which is almost the same level as Washington County.

I just remembered a course you should try to play: The Club at Lac La Belle. It's just been renovated, and by all accounts it is STELLAR.
Link:
https://clubatlaclabelle.com/

Washington county,and The Bull.

Warnimont is beat up county course. Fun drinking and not keeping score.

As far as the 3 county courses for condition 1 Oakwood, 2 Whitnall, 3 Dretzka For layout 1. Whitnall, 2 Oakwood, 3 Dretzka

The group wants to play Warnimont our first day just as a warm up for the days ahead. We’re all arriving at different times from different parts of the country, so it’s kind of a “drink and catch up” kind of thing while getting to warm up a bit after traveling. Figured it’s a more fun option than just going to a range or something. And I’ve read that there are nice views of Lake Michigan, so an added bonus for out-of-towners.

The group wants to play Warnimont our first day just as a warm up for the days ahead. We’re all arriving at different times from different parts of the country, so it’s kind of a “drink and catch up” kind of thing while getting to warm up a bit after traveling. Figured it’s a more fun option than just going to a range or something. And I’ve read that there are nice views of Lake Michigan, so an added bonus for out-of-towners.

Your other option on the lake is Lake Park GC. It's just a pitch and putt., but... let's just say that if the weather's nice, given the proximity to Bradford Beach, the views of Lake Michigan won't be the only scenery you'll find...

We’ve changed our minds and are going to play either Fire Ridge or Brown Deer Park. For anyone that has played both, which one would you recommend and why? Thanks!

We’ve changed our minds and are going to play either Fire Ridge or Brown Deer Park. For anyone that has played both, which one would you recommend and why? Thanks!
Definitely Brown Deer. Hosted a PGA Tour Stop. Classic parkland course. Much closer to your downtown base.

Just booked our tee time for Brown Deer Park for 5/13! Thank you everyone for the recs!

The lineup:
Day 1 - Brown Deer Park
Day 2 - Irish Course at Whistling Straits
Day 3 - Erin Hills

Back