Seeking Some Electrical Advice

fairwaynut

Bettinardi Aficionado
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
SingleMalt
Since the wife and I have made the move to a condo I've noticed that when I put a plug in an electrical outlet I'm getting a spark. Is this an indication that maybe the electrical outlets in my home are not grounded? Or is this nothing to worry about. I'm not an electrician so I have no knowledge of these things. Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the humidity is low and what you're seeing is static discharge.

It's also possible to get mild sparking when you plug something in that's turned on, due to inadvertent make/break/make as you do so.

That being said: I always recommend new homeowners acquire a circuit tester such as this: GFCI Receptacle Tester by Klein Tools and test all the outlets. You never know what a previous homeowner may have done ;) Even if it's new construction: Electricians are only human. They make mistakes, too.

It's also possible to get mild sparking when you plug something in that's turned on, due to inadvertent make/break/make as you do so.

Most likely this. Even 120 volt household voltage is enough to create a small arc. Except for very low current loads that are not equipped with a switch, turn off devices before plugging or unplugging.

Most likely this. Even 120 volt household voltage is enough to create a small arc. Except for very low current loads that are not equipped with a switch, turn off devices before plugging or unplugging.
That is exactly what I do, shot off the devices before unplugging and plugging back in. Still worried about the sparking though.

If your home is newer, there should be multiple GFCI's through your home that will trip one of those receptacles. If it's older, you're at the mercy of the previous owner and if they installed them. The random sparking could possibly be nothing, I know I've seen my laptop cable do that sometimes on a couple outlets when I plug it in too slowly. I guess it kinda depends on how bad it's sparking too. Are we talking massive arcing? Or something like a static discharge?

Does it happen every time you use the outlet?

If there is any load you could see a spark. If in a living quarters on newer builds the code is arc fault breakers (panel will have breakers with test buttons) those are pretty touchy if there was an issue it would trip. Should be ground fault breakers (or devices, also breaker with test button) in the kitchen, restrooms, unfinished basements, garages, exterior and within 6 ft of waters closest edge if those are your issue. Issue would have tripped any if severe enough. Current is looking for the easiest path to ground so as long as your neutrals and grounds are done proper shouldn’t be an issue. Tester listed above would troubleshoot any wiring defect.

If your home is newer, there should be multiple GFCI's through your home that will trip one of those receptacles. If it's older, you're at the mercy of the previous owner and if they installed them. The random sparking could possibly be nothing, I know I've seen my laptop cable do that sometimes on a couple outlets when I plug it in too slowly. I guess it kinda depends on how bad it's sparking too. Are we talking massive arcing? Or something like a static discharge?
We had GFCI's retrofitted into our house a few years ago, along with GFCI circuit breakers at the panel and a whole house surge suppressor after a loose main coming into the house caused an electrical fire. Definitely worth it.

Like you said, the random sparking could be nothing, or as others mentioned just because of humidity or a "make/break/make" situation described by @Duffer Seamus.

@fairwaynut, definitely invest in the GFCI receptacle tester. Easy to use and gives you an immediate reading.

More like a static charge, still worries me some.

I would just replace the outlet.
Could be static, maybe a wire loose, maybe outlet is old, most newer homes have gfi.
@OldandStiff - i think is a home builder

More like a static charge, still worries me some.

I don’t blame you in the concern. Since you said you recently purchased it, did your home inspector write up anything with regards to the electrical?

Is the spark from one of the blades the or from the ground connector? Spark on the ground connector could indicate charge built up on case of device or any part of the device connected to ground connector is discharging to outlet ground.

Back