SeeMore Mallet Putter contest, fitting, review

Were you ever fitted for a putter(s)?

• Total voters

Cruskater

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
USGA Sucks
Hey everyone! I was the lucky and blessed recipient of the SeeMore HT Mallet contest on the THP Instagram page last week. After submitting a few pictures of my rather unorthodox putting stance to the knowledgeable and affable John at SeeMore, I have a virtual fitting this afternoon on Zoom with the SeeMore folks. Looking forward to detailing the experience here, what specs I am fitted to, and then reviewing the putter and its application to my game. I thought I would create a dedicated thread for it. Thanks! Got me thinking, how many of you were fitted to your putter(s)?

I have been fit for my putter! And it is a SeeMore!

I was not fitted for my putter, but I am very curious to hear how your virtual fitting goes. The putter that I use preaches the importance of fitting and even have online fitting tips, but I am always a little skeptical of virtual fittings so I hope you can shine some good light on them!

I was not fit for my putter. And it showed the last time I played. I could not putt to save my game. At. All.:(

Congrats on the win! Never been fitted but do love Seemores!

I did a Club Champion putter fitting earlier this year. I brought 3 putters including a SeeMore and had them all adjusted. Of course since then I have gone back to using a long putter which has never been fitted.

First, a huge thank you to @JB from THP and John Higgins from @seemoreputters. Almost immediately after being announced as the winner, John reached out via Instagram then email and got the process started. We scheduled a virtual fitting this afternoon and I sent 3 pictures of my unorthodox putting setup along to the SeeMore team. I am hesitant to post said pictures here so as to not crack anyone's screen or scar you for life...but I decided to anyway :) We exchanged some information over email such as my current putter model and length. He let me know they would work to fit me into the proper putter, rather than just give me the HT Mallet listed in the contest. Some companies would be happy for the publicity of a one-off contest, throw a standard club in a box and ship it out. SeeMore took the time to know my game and custom fit me.

The virtual fitting went really well and lasted almost 90 minutes! It was broken into a couple of segments: 1. My putter/stroke history 2. SeeMore History 3. Putter Offerings 4. The Build.

I can't thank John enough for his time. I felt like I was a tour pro getting introduced to the SeeMore product for the first time by an old friend. He first asked about my putter and putting stance/stroke history. I walked him through my first lightweight mallet from a box set, my Heavy Putter which enjoyed a long run, but was ultimately a bit too heavy (I struggled with distance control), and my current Odyssey O-Works #7. I described my putting stroke evolution as the Heavy Putter helped me really develop a straight back and through putting stroke with no wrist movement and my arms swinging like a pendulum. After reading Jack Nicklaus's Putting My Way 5 or 6 years ago, I began putting my head directly over the ball in my stance and experienced more consistency and control. When I went to a 35" counterweighted putter, I began gripping down on the shaft using a two fingered (or two thumb) grip for consistency of stroke. I always had my head over the ball, but I found that if I bent over even more and allowed my arms to swing straight down (and holding the club a tad more upright), I would very rarely deviate from my intended path.

We then broke out the ruler and tape measure to take my measurements and putter measurements. We measured the grip, how far down I grip on both long and short putts, and how far my hands are from the ends of the shaft on both long and short putts. I used a ruler, with the putter flat on my kitchen table to see just how many mm the heel lifted when in my normal putting stance to determine the lie of the new putter. I did a "live" demonstration on Zoom of my putting stroke.

John then described the SeeMore history, detailing the growth of the company and the acquisition by Odyssey's Jim Grundberg and Jason Pouliot who grew Odyssey into a 40% market share at the time they were bought out by Callaway. John also offered some comments about the development of the "rifle scope" alignment aid and how it is utilized. We then went over the various putter offerings, and the development of the different putters over time. Another innovation mentioned was the addition of hosel weight inserts which fit into the hosel and shaft.

After deliberating over a few mallet options, I ultimately decided on the HT Mallet with center shaft. Based upon my bent over putting stance and our calculations, I was fitted into a 29.75" at 71* and a 60g grip. We added head weight, which when coupled with the weight of the shaft and grip, would best replicate the swing weight and feel of where I held the O-Works #7. At the end I got a tour of the facility and had the chance to meet owner Jim Grundberg. I learned of their build process and shipping logistics from Franklin, TN.

Very grateful for the opportunity to win the putter and for all of the time and effort John put into the fitting. Looking forward to trying out the putter first hand and offering my thoughts and review. Below are the pics of my current setup with the O-Works for your viewing pleasure.
20210425_200617.jpg20210425_201018.jpg20210425_200414.jpg

John Higgins is a cool guy, very helpful, and got me setting up correctly using the claw grip I still putt with today. I was using a M3B for a long time.

Thanks for taking the time to zoom with John. You now have a putting coach for Life!! John is awesome and welcome to Team SeeMore. Thanks for keeping us posted on the process and progress.

Congrats on the win! I did start feeling back pain after looking at the pictures of your putting stance. Haha. I have been a long time SeeMore fan. Was fit by Club Champion into a face balanced blade. His first recommendation was a SeeMore ONE which fortunately I already had in my arsenal.

Congrats on the win! I did start feeling back pain after looking at the pictures of your putting stance. Haha. I have been a long time SeeMore fan. Was fit by Club Champion into a face balanced blade. His first recommendation was a SeeMore ONE which fortunately I already had in my arsenal.

Sox Fan - that is a great gamer! Hope you are doing well. Cruskater don't be afraid to ask questions. Looking forward to what you learn.

Custom putter shipping from SeeMore. Might get it over the weekend or Monday. Will have more info and some pics for y'all!

Nice review @Cruskater! Congrats on the new putter it will be cool to see the results when you get it.

20210511_163155.jpg20210511_163207.jpg20210511_163227.jpg20210511_163352.jpg
Yesterday was a bit of a Christmas morning for me. My Apex Pro's came in AND my new SeeMore putter. The good folks from TN also sent along a really nice magnetic headcover, hat, and triangular alignment aid.

I will get out on the practice green later this week and hopefully the course as well. So far I have putted on the carpet and my Varispeed putting mat. The sleek mid-mallet is very appealing to my eye and the black powder coating looks like it will not lead to any glare. I chose to stick with the one line as it matches the line on my O-Works #7. The cast stainless steel face is also on the sleek side and the silver color does not clash with the black powder coating (I liked some of the black inserts and was wondering how the silver stainless steel would look but I think the feel will be right).

On to the performance! The shaft is 29.5" which is the shortest putter I have ever tried. It almost looks like a kids club, but boy did John @seemoreputters really nail the fitting. It fit perfectly with my bent over stance. I am gripping the putter at about the same place I gripped my O-Works with the Superslim grip. The grip is a nice black and grey premium feeling grip that is neither too soft or too firm. It has a slight tack to it (pictures to follow later). It is thinner than I am used to with my thumbs on the front of the grip, but I want to get some rounds in with this grip and see how I do. The lie has been adjusted upright for my bent-over stance.

Despite the shorter length, the additional weight in the hosel really helps with the overall swing weight. Based on where I gripped the O-Works, I'd say the feel is as close to the same as possible. Once again, the fitting was spot on. The weight on the toe and heel really fits my straight back and through putting stroke. It feels like the face always once to stay centered and straight. Coming from a microhinge insert and not particularly fond of firm putter faces with my firm compression golf balls (except when I play a Chrome soft in the colder temps), I was skeptical of the face milling. It is a nice medium depth milling (to my eye) and offers a nice medium feel. Little firmer than the microhinge, but not much firmer! It has a nice pleasant sound off the face that is like a deep click. I putted with my Vice Pro Plus, Chrome Soft, and Pro V1. It responded well to all 3. I had to increase my swing a bit on the Chrome soft, but did not have to worry about the ball rocketing off the face with either the Pro Plus or the Pro V1.

The roll is so pure off the face. On the carpet, I managed to keep 8/8 6' putts with my Vice balls rolling along the lines of the carpet. On the varispeed, I holed 10/10 Vice from 6', 9/10 Pro V's, and 8/10 Chrome's (adjusting for the softer ball). Similar results from 8'. I have to imagine the Rifle Scope Tech (RST) which even works with my head directly over the ball in my stance helps keep me aligned. This combination coupled with the weighting and milling pattern seems to offer some super straight putts to where you are aligned. We will see how I do on an actual green.

There are a lot of smaller putter companies out there, some completely forged by hand, others offering some sort of new tech. Have to say that SeeMore still offers a great product and even better customer service. Definitely consider buying from an American company. Going to post some more after I putt on actual greens this week. Thanks again to the team at SeeMore and @JB for offering the giveaway!

Putter looks great. Hope you enjoy it

Great stuff, thanks for sharing! New putter looks great. Cant wait to see how it rolls for you!

Got out this weekend. Once again, I was floored by the face. It honestly looks on the firm side and not too forgiving on off-center hits. It actually produces a nice medium, medium soft impact and from the SeeMore rifle score alignment aid, I wasn't experiencing too many off-center hits anyway. It got the ball rolling consistently. Without a launch monitor (hello Bryson on the putting green) or a slow-mo camera, it is hard to tell, but I believe the ball is coming off with little variation of skid and bounce. Seems similar to my Odyssey, perhaps not as true as the microhinge but pretty darn close. The weight of the putter head produces a swing weight nearly identical to my old 35" putter. Had no issues with distance control after the first few strokes. Probably due to the similar swing weight.

Looks great! Give John a call or email and he will be happy to assist. You have a "putting coach" for life!

Played really well in a scramble last week with the putter on some pretty slow, bumpy greens at the local muni, Ponkapoag #1 in Canton, Mass. It was a good test with the slow greens and short length of the putter. I was able to just adjust my setup a bit with my grip and it went well. I wasn't great off the tee, but my putting was a big reason we finished 2nd overall. The roll is very, very pure off the face.

Played really well in a scramble last week with the putter on some pretty slow, bumpy greens at the local muni, Ponkapoag #1 in Canton, Mass. It was a good test with the slow greens and short length of the putter. I was able to just adjust my setup a bit with my grip and it went well. I wasn't great off the tee, but my putting was a big reason we finished 2nd overall. The roll is very, very pure off the face.

Nice work! It will become more familiar for you. Just like your morning routine, your putting routine will be engrained in you. Have fun!

Back