Seminole Legacy Golf Club in Tallahassee, FL

Greg Kulbick

I don't golf good
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Today I was able to play my old course that has since gone private after a complete redesign by Nicklaus/ Nicklaus, Jr. 18 is the only hole that uses the original routing, but now plays as a long par 4 instead of a par 5. A few of the other holes kind of follow the same chutes, but are wholly different. It's a Nicklaus course: sand, new water added and set up for a high fade.

It is very nice. The greens are understandably very firm. The undulations are apparent and some are substantial.

Scorecard
20200417_132716.jpg

The range, which were mats before, is now grass, with several flags to hit to. The practice green was huge before, but it's now about half the size as the path to the first tee cuts through what was the middle of the old one and the 18th green was extended further back.
20200417_124527.jpg

This is the first tee, is a par 4 that follows the old tenth hole(@MWard is used to this being the old first hole), but considerably shorter.
20200417_130203.jpg

The 8th is a drivable par 4 with water all the way on the left and a couple bail out/lay up spots on the right side.
20200417_142220.jpg

14 is a long but fairly straight par 5, but those left bunkers down by the green are about 95 yards out from the green and a terrible place to end up.
20200417_154113.jpg

I'm seriously thinking about finding a way to join.

You should, I need a reason to come play this.

What is a high fade? Isn't that a haircut style?

Looks great and hope to get a chance to play it some day. I had better bring plenty of balls if it is set up for a left to right ball flight.

What is a high fade? Isn't that a haircut style?

Looks great and hope to get a chance to play it some day. I had better bring plenty of balls if it is set up for a left to right ball flight.
The course has always been pretty wide open, you've got to be way offline to lose a ball. Unless you're on the edges of the property, you need to hit a real bad shot for a ball to get away from you.

Looks very nice.

The course has always been pretty wide open, you've got to be way offline to lose a ball. Unless you're on the edges of the property, you need to hit a real bad shot for a ball to get away from you.

Old layout, the only ways to lose a ball really were hitting it in the water, a pull hook off the tee (hole 3 and 4?) or if the rough got really long sometimes and you just couldn't find it. Other than that, the course really was pretty right in front of you all things considered.

Old layout, the only ways to lose a ball really were hitting it in the water, a pull hook off the tee (hole 3 and 4?) or if the rough got really long sometimes and you just couldn't find it. Other than that, the course really was pretty right in front of you all things considered.
Exactly. What was left on the long par 5 and then the par 4 with the pond along the back is now the right side of 14. The fence to the left of the uphill par 3 which is now the first part of a par 5. Orange Ave is way out of play as the end of the old second hole and entire third hole weren't used.

I've been doing math in my head since yesterday to figure out if it's worth it. I can theoretically afford it, but it's way more than I'm paying now, which is a tough pill to swallow.

The area of the uphill par 3 tee box was leveled out and now looks like this:
20200417_135715.jpg

The picture really doesn't show the elevation, but when this was a par 3 you couldn't really see the green.

The area of the uphill par 3 tee box was leveled out and now looks like this:
View attachment 8937980

The picture really doesn't show the elevation, but when this was a par 3 you couldn't really see the green.

That par 3 was such a pain in the butt. Props to whoever spray painted at some point things like 170 180 190 on the ground, cause it always seemed to play pretty true to that number depending on the tees you played.

Would they charge you to walk it? Might find a way to keep your costs down a bit

That par 3 was such a pain in the butt. Props to whoever spray painted at some point things like 170 180 190 on the ground, cause it always seemed to play pretty true to that number depending on the tees you played.

Would they charge you to walk it? Might find a way to keep your costs down a bit
As far as I know, no walking privileges, save for the golf team. However, I know a guy that works at the mag lab and he was told he'd be able to walk after work. So, we'll see. Probably going to call the pro there this week about lessons and ask some membership questions, too.

As far as I know, no walking privileges, save for the golf team. However, I know a guy that works at the mag lab and he was told he'd be able to walk after work. So, we'll see. Probably going to call the pro there this week about lessons and ask some membership questions, too.

If they said walking okay after 4, big difference. Being told though you can't walk.... :rolleyes:

If they said walking okay after 4, big difference. Being told though you can't walk.... :rolleyes:
My thoughts as well. Its only a small detour on the way home, so I could go after work. I could also use the range after work, as I'm a sucker for pounding golf balls trying to figure things out.

My thoughts as well. Its only a small detour on the way home, so I could go after work. I could also use the range after work, as I'm a sucker for pounding golf balls trying to figure things out.

I wish more courses just had range memberships. Sadly, they do not

This course is doing member for a day for $55 during July. I imagine partly to try to entice members from another local course that is closing down for major renovations. Going to try to get out there Saturday.

@MWard Let me know when you're coming up for a practice round.

Playing this Saturday at 10:30. Be a good practice round before the FSGA one day tournament next month.

Seminole? Nahhh but have fun :D

It's a Miami hurricanes joke if someone didn't get it. The course is nice

Back