Senior choice? Ping G425, Cobra Radspeed, PXG 0211 irons

jjfcpa

Reaction score
Handicap
Asking for a friend who doesn't do online forums.

He's in his early 70's and looking for some new irons. Slow swing speed but good contact player. I told him he should go with the newest and they will last him for 10 years.

Needs forgiveness and distance.

Mizuno Hot Metals, Wilson D7... so many options. Needs to get fit for his swing and for weight purposes.

Ping G710 and graphite shafts suitable for his swing.

It would be hard not to include at least looking at the Callaway Apex DCBs that were just previewed today.

Titleist T400's or Bridgestone Tour B HF1's

So many good options for your friend. Has he looked into a possible fitting?

Callaway Apex DCBs sound like a good option as well! Preview article and thread up on them with tons of good information!

Probably depends on the head shape and size your buddy is comfortable looking down at.
The G425 Ping says is slightly smaller than their older G Series irons.
The RAD is probably about the same size as the G425.

The 0211 (gen 1) is definitely smaller than both of these. Blade length wise about the same but the sole and topline is much thinner, more like Ping i210 size there.
So the G425 and RAD will look a bit more friendly down by the ball

I haven't seen the new 0211 iron in person yet but from videos I have seen they claim PXG has made it slightly smaller than the old 0211s.

Some other good options are the PXG 0311 Gen2 XF and SGI's. Both are Forged and currently priced at $125/ea. These originally sold for $400/ea.
I grouped up with a senior golfer yesterday. He had the XF's with KBS 70 graphite shafts. He let me hit it once and it felt really good. easy swinging and launched nice.

Tour Edge C521 is nice value options. Comes with a KBS 80 steel shaft or Aldila Rogue graphite.

Also if you don't mind a more hybrid looking iron, you can't go wrong with the Cobra T-Rail, Cleveland HB Turbo or the Tour Edge e521 iron woods.

Given his age and his slower swing speed, I would recommend at least looking at a set of hybrid irons. I played the Cobra T-Rails last season. I will tell you that they are very easy to launch and very forgiving. They want to hit every shot high and straight.

D7 with graphite is a great option. Try the hybrid options of Cobra/Cleveland...One of those 3 should fit.

Forgiveness and distance a plenty sounds like Ping G710. If he wants to save a few Bucks get the G700’s. Longest irons I have ever hit and pretty much want to fly high and straight. Sound and feel can be an issue though and are not for everyone.

Back