Senior club having a 5 club plus putter game. What would you play with? And why?

orchard53

Reaction score
3 wood as that gets me to iron distance on all the par 4s. Then it gets harder.
175 - 195 3 hybrid
140 - 165 5 iron
120 - 140 7 iron
100 and in gap wedge.

Though I'm thinking sand wedge (max 90), 9 iron, 6 iron, 4 iron, 3 wood. then try for up and down from 65 yards if I can't get to the green.

Notes playing from gold tees, but still can't get to any of the par 5s in 2.

I'd go 5W, 5H, 7i, AW and 58°. I don't carry a 3W and my 5W is long and reliable for me. 5H would cover shots out to around 180-190, 7i for the midrange shots. I'm comfortable with the AW anywhere from about 110 in and feel confident with flighting it down, and the 58° is one of my favorite clubs in the bag and would handle all the greenside work.

Driver - It goes the farthest and in a normal round gets used more than any other club not named putter.
2-hybrid - Versatlie club that goes far
5-iron - Nice gapping between the 2-hybrid and 8-iron.
8-iron - Would probably be my go to club for most approach shots.
52* wedge - Can be used for short approaches and has enough loft for 95% of greenside shots.

5w it is my most consistent fairway
5h would get me to a lot of greens
7 iron would get me to greens when not using 5h
PW for approach shots
58° wedge for around the green and bunkers.

Driver - It goes the farthest and in a normal round gets used more than any other club not named putter.
52* wedge - Can be used for short approaches and has enough loft for 95% of greenside shots.

Nice selection... I cannot find fault with these choices at all...
don’t have a 2 hybrid, or a 52* so I’d go with my 3h and the 54*

I'd consider driver but playing from the senior tees my 3 wood puts me in range - and I can OB the driver on a couple of holes. I'm thinking of playing a few rounds with just the 5 clubs and getting some results to see what will work the best.

5w - reliable 215 - 220 which should put me a decent distance down the fairway off the tee and is available off the deck as well.
5h - general purpose get out of jail free club
7i - covers anywhere from 130 to 165 depending on swing
PW - picks up the 130 and down distances
56 - around the greens and bunkers

That should see me right...

We used to play a four club, including putter competition. Winner usually played to handicap. I went with three wood, 6 iron and gap wedge. If I had an extra two clubs, would keep the three wood and six iron, add 4 iron, 8 iron and sand wedge.

Driver - tee shots. 230+
5W - 180 to 220 yds.
7i - 145 to 165 yards.
52* - 80 to 130 yards.
60* - Anything closer than 75 yards.

I know there are some decent gaps in there, but I think with a little course management, I should be okay. Those are clubs I'm comfortable with, and based on my ARCCOS stats seem to get the most use. Might have to give this a try during the year.

I proposed to @snafu we do a 3 club round.
But if I get to choose 5,

3w
5I
7i
GW
Putter

I don't know what I'd play. I only know my 7i goes 150 yards give or take right now. I need to figure out the rest... As you can see below, I can't hit it very far... but I'd probably go

3w - more trusted off the tee, goes maybe 180 yards, and can be used off the deck too
7i - 150 yard club
PW - 100 yard club
52* CBX2 - everything inside 100 club
58* RTX4 - for sand traps

Even with a full bag my GIR% falls off pretty steeply after 150 yards. So I'd personally focus most on covering everything inside 150 very well so as to make hay when those scoring ops present themselves. I have confidence in my 'scoring shot matrix' and would probably select my 8i, PW (43*), and SW (53*)from the matrix in your 5+P event. That gives me at least 1 reliable way (often 2 or 3 ways) to hit every 5 yard carry increment from 145 down to 35 yards.
Agree with your choice of 3W, especially if you're playing the course from a shorter than normal tee box. My 5th club is either my 4i or 5i, most likely the 5i. I can keep it under trees if needed and get decent full swing distance (170-180) from it on longer holes if the lie/shot eliminates 3W. I'm also pretty sure I could better 'guestimate' any shots between 145 and 170 with 5i vs 4i.
---3W, 5i, 8i, PW, SW, Putter---

Last edited:
Driver

gap 52* wedge around the greens and anything up to 100ish

8 iron 115-140 yards

6 iron 140-160 yards

4 hybrid 170ish and up

My only really bad yardages would be over 195, 165ish and 105-110. I could play around that

3w
4h
7i
PW

There are some gaps but I have played rounds with 7-9 clubs including putter. For five clubs, the five listed above would give the ability to hit most shots that I would encounter.

Based on my home course I would likely go with the following

1 - Driver - other than the par 3's I could hit this off most tees
2 - 4i - alternative tee club for holes where I can't hit driver and the longest par 3
3 - 7i - a club I can use for multiple distances including the other par 3's on my course (I practice hitting different distances a lot with my 7i)
4 - PW - another club that I can cover a fair range of distances with
5 - 58° wedge - we have some steep face bunkers so this would be useful and can be used around the green as well

Driver
6i- might go 5i if there's a strong wind from the south.
8i
pw
53*

Back