Senior Golfer? Senior Clubs?

J-Pin

Senior Hacker in Paradise
Reaction score
Hi,

What do you consider a senior golfer?

If you are a senior golfer, what irons and shafts do you play?

Thanks!

Senior golf is probably 65+. Age doesn't define clubs one should play. I know some seniors who can still play stiff flex shafts as well as something that is in the players iron category. While I know others that have dropped to reg flex and GI and other who are a little younger in that 62-65 range who need senior flex shafts. It depends on the persons physical fitness IMO.

Ow I see. I am interested reading about this subject : graphite vs steel shaft at senior age. I will be very delightfull and thankfull if I can still play golf at 65 years old and up.

I am 63 and still playing golf. In fact, I am getting fit for irons this Friday. Don't know what brand but I need some help with loft.

I am 63 and still playing golf. In fact, I am getting fit for irons this Friday. Don't know what brand but I need some help with loft.

Some sort of GI or sgi sounds like the direction you want to head. Some good,options from Wilson, Ping, Callaway, Cobra, Cleveland. A lightweight shaft probably a graphite option.

I changed out shafts to graphite a couple of years ago. The lighter weight helps a little but distance loss is killing my game. I moved up a set of tees and it helps my attitude if not my score.

One of my regular playing partners is 73 years old and still has game for days. He's about a 9 handicap and doesn't hit the ball very far anymore but still plays really good golf. He has made some changes in his irons to get a little extra height in his shots over the past few years and his bag has changed a bit because of it. He switched to graphite shafts in his irons and plays hybrids down to his 7 iron now. That extra height has really helped him out, he doesn't have to rely on rolling the ball up close anymore and can actually aim at the green with confidence now.

I'm 63, a couple of years ago I tried graphite shafts in my irons just because of my age. Bad idea, didn't work for me. I got fitted recently for a driver and was put into an "R" flex shaft. All that is to say, it is not so much your age but a combination of your fitness, flexibility, swing etc. Age is just a number.

Closer to 66 than 65 now. Graphite shafts. Recently got a set of Big Bertha irons. 3-7 hybrids and 8-sw irons. Really like them, but the best setup won't overcome a bad swing.

Some sort of GI or sgi sounds like the direction you want to head. Some good,options from Wilson, Ping, Callaway, Cobra, Cleveland. A lightweight shaft probably a graphite option.

I agree. At 54, I'm still playing stiff iron shafts, but regular in all graphite shafted longer clubs. I have no plans of moving to senior shafts until I'm in my 60's. Although, a good number of PGA Teaching Pro's will tell you to play the softest shafts you can control.

I agree. At 54, I'm still playing stiff iron shafts, but regular in all graphite shafted longer clubs. I have no plans of moving to senior shafts until I'm in my 60's. Although, a good number of PGA Teaching Pro's will tell you to play the softest shafts you can control.

A guy I know is going on 66 but is in better shape than a lot of people a lot younger than him including me. He was talking to ha instructor about dropping to reg flex in driver and irons. Instructor told him he was crazy because he was still generating the SS to game his stiff flex and wasn't at a point that he needs to consider dropping down.

Senior golf is probably 65+. Age doesn't define clubs one should play. I know some seniors who can still play stiff flex shafts as well as something that is in the players iron category. While I know others that have dropped to reg flex and GI and other who are a little younger in that 62-65 range who need senior flex shafts. It depends on the persons physical fitness IMO.

Being in this age group I would agree totally with Emart.

I am 68 and I recently went to graphite shafted irons in regular flex, this past year I have gone to senior flex in my FW and Hybrids and that seems to help. I am not sure that I would have gone to the graphite in irons or senior flex in the Hybrids and FW had it not been for back problems.

I'm 56 and have graphite in everything except wedges/putter. No reason other than the feel.

Back