Senior golfers rejoice - Ping G430 HL

jjfcpa

Reaction score
Handicap
Looking for some new irons to put in the bag this year and I've come down to the Srixon Mark II ZX4's vs the Ping G430 HL.

I've been comparing the 7i's for some time now and I'm having a hard time deciding between these two. The G430's are just so easy to control due to the lighter weight. Swing speed is higher, but the ZX4's seem to have a hotter face. Swing speed is lower, but distance is about the same.

My gamers are T300's currently, and these are still right up there with the best for seniors, especially with the Tensei senior shafts. Just when I thought they would be in the bag for another year, I think both the ZX4's and G430 offer some advantages in performance.

Might have to get these 7i's out on the course before deciding but right now, I'd give the edge to G430, much to my surprise. I've tried Ping in the past and been disappointed with the performance, but the HL's are a great option for the senior golfer. Just effortless to swing.

I haven't tried the Alta Quick shaft in the irons yet but did in the driver and it surprised me.
I wish that Ping would do some sort of a hybrid style iron but I guess they feel the G7xx covers them from an SGI standpoint.
So for now the G430 HL setup seems to fill that void for those who need it.

I've been comparing the 7i's for some time now and I'm having a hard time deciding between these two. The G430's are just so easy to control due to the lighter weight. Swing speed is higher, but the ZX4's seem to have a hotter face. Swing speed is lower, but distance is about the same.

I have wanted to love the Srixons and Mizuno offerings but in the 6i and 7i their swing weights seem to get me.
I like that Ping does progressive swing weights (lower in the long irons, higher in the short irons and wedges). Seems to fit me really well.

Good luck in your testing and keep us posted on what you decide.

Another indoor session with 7i's in the T300, ZX4, and G430 HL and right off the bat from a cold start, the T300 and G430 were so easy to hit. Their swing weight seem very similar. A little more swing speed with the G430. ZX4 for some reason takes a few swings to find the sweet spot. I don't think it's me.

Another positive session for the G430.

I should have added. I prefer a softer ball so I've been doing most of my indoor sessions with the Chrome Soft and Maxfli Tour S. However, I switched to the Maxfli Tour which is about 10 points higher compression than the Tour S and found that it did not feel any firmer than the Tour S when hit with the G430; however, I could definitely feel the compression difference with the ZX4. Not sure why that is, but it may mean that I could play a slightly firmer ball and perhaps get some added distance without any adverse "feel" affects.

The G430 HL are definitely on my short list for irons this year. Wish the new T300’s were available before fall as I’ll likely replace my G15s long before Aug/Sep.

I have had the Ping G430 HL irons for 2 weeks (5 rounds) with the Alta Quik 45 shafts. I am 74 years old with a driver swing speed in the high 70s. These are replacing Callaway Rogue Max ST OS irons bought last year. So far these Ping irons have been solid for me. Lofts are strong (but the same as the Max OS). Distance is 1/2 to a full club longer. Trajectory is much higher - something I really appreciate. A bonus is I am chipping much better with the G430s. It may be because the top line is thinner. The feel and sound is solid at impact.I also bought the G430 SFT HL 3 wood. I am struggling on getting the higher trajectory I like, but distance is good.

My gamers are T300's currently, and these are still right up there with the best for seniors, especially with the Tensei senior shafts. Just when I thought they would be in the bag for another year, I think both the ZX4's and G430 offer some advantages in performance.

My T300's just got put on the shelf as well. Not because they did anything wrong, but I needed to go to a graphite shaft for my bad wrist pain.

Back