SENIOR /SLOW SWING -BEST #3 Fw wood/hybrid for maximum distance

Kulwant

Reaction score
Hi,
I am 74 & my swing speed is around 80.I have been using #3 Ping 425 FW wood since last 2 years but now find the club not connecting well in wet season/ dry FW .I am looking for #3 FW wood which can give me maximum distance & connect easily.i have M2 ladies 3&5 woods 45 gm shaft which connect very well but #3 doesn't give good distance. Ping G425 #3 R has been giving me more than 20 yds with accuracy than M2 Ladies.I have all 3 clubs .Please advise which club should I buy to achieve my distance & forgiveness. The choice could be between Hybrid & FW wood. Note - sponsors please excuse

I would say go somewhere and check out the Tour Edge options. They are packed with tons of tech.

Hi,
I am 74 & my swing speed is around 80.I have been using #3 Ping 425 FW wood since last 2 years but now find the club not connecting well in wet season/ dry FW .I am looking for #3 FW wood which can give me maximum distance & connect easily.i have M2 ladies 3&5 woods 45 gm shaft which connect very well but #3 doesn't give good distance. Ping G425 #3 R has been giving me more than 20 yds with accuracy than M2 Ladies.I have all 3 clubs .Please advise which club should I buy to achieve my distance & forgiveness. The choice could be between Hybrid & FW wood. Note - sponsors please excuse
I found a long time ago the best 3wd for me was a 4wd.

This thread may be of interest to you,

Hi,
I honestly believe that your best “3” wood would be a fairway wood with about 17 degrees of loft. That will give you the launch you need to maximize your carry and total distance.

When I’m looking for max carry with a 3 wood I use my Cobra F9 5 wood head on the -1 setting on a 3 wood shaft. Turns it into a rocket launcher.

Hi,
BTW, welcome to the forum.

Welcome to THP.

I'd say you're looking good with the G425's. Consider looking at the new G430's. And consider a different shaft. There's nothing wrong with the 45g one you mentioned. Consider looking at a Project X Cypher. Or better yet their new Denali Blue. I've got a Cypher in my driver and it gave me an extra 7 yards from the stock evenflow that came with my Mavrik. Granted my slice took those 7 yards and an additional 15 or 20 :ROFLMAO:

My swing speed is right around yours. Maybe a different shaft will help a little bit.

My Dad is 71 has lost some speed. He just went through a fitting and came away with the G30 giving him the best, most consistent number, speed, and carry. He also picked up a G30 9w and hits that really well.

I am 72 years of age, my swing speed is only a few miles faster than yours, and I have gone through this same search.
First, regarding the hybrids... (3-hybrids mentioned are all 18-degree loft): The one that works best for me is the Cleveland Halo Launcher XL 3+ Hy-Wood. I also have tried the Ping G430 and I recently purchased and am trying the Callaway Paradym X. So far, the Cleveland is the clear-cut winner for me. It does have a slightly bigger head, so perhaps that is a contributing factor.
Regarding the 3-wood... (3-woods mentioned are all 15-degree loft): I had a Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220, a nice club, but I had a lack of consistency with it. Then I played a Srixon ZX, which was a better performer in both distance and dispersion. However, I couldn't consistently elevate it to gain the additional distance a 3-wood should deliver. I decided instead to use my 5-wood, which provided sufficient height and usually similar or better distance compared to my results with a 3-wood.
I then decided to try the XXIO Prime 12 3-wood. It is an ultra-lightweight design (head, shaft, and grip). I was surprised how significantly better I hit it and how well it performs. I am able to elevate the shots more consistently, my distance has noticeably increased, and the dispersion is a bit tighter. It is in my bag.
This is my "real world" feedback from play on the golf courses. These comments are observational and not based on launch monitor data.
This was my search's experience. Your mileage may vary.

Welcome to THP. As a fellow slow swinger (age 67, swing speed about 78) I feel your pain. My longest FW is a Cally Rogue ST Max 3HL (16.5*) which I had shortened to 42.5" (std is 43.25") so it is basically a 4-wood. This club works great for me off the tee and fairway. You may want to consider a Ping G430 5-wood which is 17.5* loft and can be adjusted +/- 1.5*.

Back