jpbova

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a problem. Ever since I was young, I have always ripped at the ball as hard as I could. It is actually hard for me to swing at 90%. My problem is when I swing that hard, more so with my irons, my swing gets out of sequence, and I block slice the ball. What can I do to get back into sequence or sequence correctly?

It’s hard to say definitively without video of your swing. But, a block comes from the face pointing that direction and path being too far to the right. A slice comes from a face that is open to the club path.

With that in mind, you could try moving the ball forward to get your path more neutral and try strengthening your grip to get the face closed sooner. Moving the ball forward can also help with the face to path relationship because it has more time to close prior to impact.

If you are already playing the ball forward it could be that your equipment isn’t fit properly. To heavy of a shaft can cause it to hang back behind you. Too big of a grip could cause the face to stay open too long, but in others it could help the face close is they have a death grip with smaller diameter grips.

If you swing hard and still play consistently, you can always experiment with choking down on irons to vary distance and trajectory. Still swing hard with the same tempo and see how varying your grip can affect your shots.

I don't play consistent though. I either have it or don't and as I get older, I don't have it as often.

I got on a trackman today. I was purposely trying to swing as hard as I could which is what I find I do on the course. Then I tried to dial it back to 90% and swing smooth. My fast swings were <110MPH and the dispersion was erratic, and the smooth swings were >115MPH with the dispersion much tighter. Obviously what I am doing is firing my shoulders too quickly thinking I am swinging fast, but its throwing me out of sequence and slowing down my swing.

Thank god for technology.

You ever tried an orange whip or a weighted swing trainer? Even though you mAy not play much, you can swing that in your garage or yard everyday. It’s made a huge difference in my tempo.

You ever tried an orange whip or a weighted swing trainer? Even though you mAy not play much, you can swing that in your garage or yard everyday. It’s made a huge difference in my tempo.
What length orange whip do you have? I looked it up last night. Looks interesting

What length orange whip do you have? I looked it up last night. Looks interesting
I have the original/standard length one. Truthfully, you could use any of them. They all serve the same purpose with one being the length of a driver and the mid-size the length of a 7-iron and compact is like a lob wedge.

Orange whip is definitely a great idea. Also, it's not about swinging hard, it's about swinging fast. This summer my new instructor and I really worked on the hips and my turn. My backswing always looked good but I have a tendency to steroid jerk it with my arms. I've been able to get away with it because I of my natural athletic abilities and recover by getting flippy. I still got great distance but man my miss would be all over the place.

So now, my arms are basically following my hip turn. I start down with the hips and it all syncs up. It took me a good month of constant drills to get rid of the flip, clearing the hands and finishing balanced but man it feels so natural now. Furthermore, when ball flight goes all wonky, I know exactly why. Also, I can now slow down and speed up my turn to control distance instead of just getting lazy to hit it less further.

So with that being said:
  • Orange whip is a great training aid not only to help the swing but also get loose.
  • Swing fast, not hard.
  • A video of your swing would help out so we know exactly what we are looking at.
  • Outside of the orange whip, spend a little money on lessons. Heck $400 on lessons will go a lot farther than $400 in new, shiny clubs. Also, don't get into the training aide vortex. There is so much out there claiming to cure whatever. But, while your ball flight might be what that training aide cures, you may not have the symptom that causes that particular ball flight.

I have a problem. Ever since I was young, I have always ripped at the ball as hard as I could. It is actually hard for me to swing at 90%. My problem is when I swing that hard, more so with my irons, my swing gets out of sequence, and I block slice the ball. What can I do to get back into sequence or sequence correctly?

Next time you want to play a shot with a 9-iron,play a 7-iron. Rather than swing a wedge from 140 yards, swing an 8-iron. If you start clubbing up one or two clubs this will will soon rid you of the "hit it hard" mind set and your swing rhythm (sequence) will improve.

The only other piece of advice I have is that I had an instructor tell me to swing like I'm trying to hit a bunker shot - nice and easy and let the club do the work. That really helped me with the steroid jerk.

I picked up the cheaper version of the Orange Whip, the 40" SKLZ version. $109 for a flexy shaft and a weighted ball on the end seemed ridiculous. Hopefully this helps sync up my swing

I picked up the cheaper version of the Orange Whip, the 40" SKLZ version. $109 for a flexy shaft and a weighted ball on the end seemed ridiculous. Hopefully this helps sync up my swing
The SKLZ is stiffer and feels heavier. From personal experience it does more for strength than the feeling the orange whip provides.

amazon order canceled. I will get a orange whip from dicks tomorrow
Smart move. It’s not that the Skilz is bad. I just don’t think you will get the results you desire with it. I found it very stiff and heavy feeling.

I'm actually glad I cancelled the order the for the 40" SKLZ. I swung the mid-size Orange Whip at dicks, and it was too easy for me. The longer one is perfect. I already like it. Not only will it help with tempo and sequence but it will help with release too

I don't quite understand why anyone would swing as hard they can considering the loft of the selection of clubs equate to distance.

There is not much information in your post to get a handle on your problem. The most common faults of what you describe is losing control of the club during the takeaway and or the body racing away from the arms during the downswing.
The cure for both is keeping the club in front of the body during both sides of the swing. The feeling during the backswing is that the right hand away from the right hip (forward) as the body and hips turn. The first parts to move in transition is the left hip rotating back behind and right elbow returning to in front of the right hip. The right hip is braced.

It is a common fault with tour pros and one that plagued Tiger during his early professional career. Tiger wrote about it in his book How I play Golf.

There is not much information in your post to get a handle on your problem. The most common faults of what you describe is losing control of the club during the takeaway and or the body racing away from the arms during the downswing.
The cure for both is keeping the club in front of the body during both sides of the swing. The feeling during the backswing is that the right hand away from the right hip (forward) as the body and hips turn. The first parts to move in transition is the left hip rotating back behind and right elbow returning to in front of the right hip. The right hip is braced.

It is a common fault with tour pros and one that plagued Tiger during his early professional career. Tiger wrote about it in his book How I play Golf.
I would suggest that the back swing has nearly zero to do with impact because so many tour pros have all kinds of odd back swings, but they all find a way to sequence and reach similar impact positions. Just my 2 cents.

@jpbova, take a look at the Whippy Tempomaster, too. This had helped me alot with my tempo and timing.

Back