Sergio Garcia Signs with Callaway

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the signing moves the needle more globally (mainly Europe) and domestically. Curious to see how his bag rounds out, especially that toe hang mallet...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Glad the long rumored about signing is finally official. I can see Sergio being successful in 2018 with dialed in equipment and a presumably happy personal life.

Hmmm he gets that first major victory, then switches companies the next year. Seems like an odd move to me

Love it. Good sign.

Saw the video this morning. Was kinda weird seeing a Callaway Logo on an Adidas hat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wonder what the reason was that Sergio did not remain with TM? Was it that TM couldn't afford him going forward now that he had the allure of being a Masters Champion or did Callaway throw some pretty big bucks his way to help grow the brand outside North America? Anyone got any insight?

I wonder what the reason was that Sergio did not remain with TM? Was it that TM couldn't afford him going forward now that he had the allure of being a Masters Champion or did Callaway throw some pretty big bucks his way to help grow the brand outside North America? Anyone got any insight?

Didn't TM state they were making some cuts on their tour staff? I thought I remembered reading that they were doing away with certain deals and cutting costs where they were able.

Taylormade being owned by KPS Capital means they could "afford" Garcia if they wanted to since they are a $5B to $6B company on their own. Might just be a case of them not caring for his asking price, or looking to save funds to possibly allocate elsewhere.

My personal feelings and anyone can feel free to disagree, TM didn't want him anymore. He (Sergio) played it off as if it was his decision to leave and go to something better. I am not a Sergio fan by any means but I could see this helping the Callaway Euro market. Obviously they know what they are getting into and hard to argue with the success they have had for the past 2-3 years as the #1 OEM.

Hmmm he gets that first major victory, then switches companies the next year. Seems like an odd move to me

First major victory = higher asking price. This is their career, money matters. Most, though not all, abandon 'the clubs that work for them' for more money. Some don't, but most do, and most do just fine with the new clubs.

I associate Sergio with adidas. I see or hear Sergio, that's the first thing that pops into my head. I personally think it will be difficult to associate Callaway to him, purely from a branding standpoint.

~Rock

First major victory = higher asking price. This is their career, money matters. Most, though not all, abandon 'the clubs that work for them' for more money. Some don't, but most do, and most do just fine with the new clubs.

I associate Sergio with adidas. I see or hear Sergio, that's the first thing that pops into my head. I personally think it will be difficult to associate Callaway to him, purely from a branding standpoint.

~Rock

Makes sense and I totally get the money side of things. They have to make all the money they can while playing. I have no doubt that he will still be able to compete with a new company.

It will be different to not see him in Adidas gear.

Great signing by Callaway. Euro needle mover

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

Always liked Sergio -and I quite like this signing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to seeing Sergio put his Cally gear in play.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Should be an interesting bag setup.

I used to hate Sergio but he has grown in my in the recent years. Exciting for Callaway! Looking forward to seeing this year unfold and any other changes that occur for 2018.

I like Sergio but I think this signing is pretty Euro dependent. I just don't see him having a large effect on moving equipment in North America.

I can't wait to see what Callaway does in the lead up to and during the Masters this year. Having the current champ under your brand definitely gains more exposure

Apex MBs. Those are going to be super shiny. Great to hear of this partnership.

I can't wait to see what Callaway does in the lead up to and during the Masters this year. Having the current champ under your brand definitely gains more exposure

They had that in 2017 with Danny Willett. I can't remember one thing that they did pre-Masters with him.

This was the worst-kept secret in golf. Good for Sergio to strike while the iron is hot. I hope he continues to play well.

I think the signing moves the needle more globally (mainly Europe) and domestically. Curious to see how his bag rounds out, especially that toe hang mallet...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

it's a slant neck atlanta, isn't it? *drool*

Taylormade being owned by KPS Capital means they could "afford" Garcia if they wanted to since they are a $5B to $6B company on their own. Might just be a case of them not caring for his asking price, or looking to save funds to possibly allocate elsewhere.

maybe it does, but i'm not sure it works like this. i don't think these vc companies shift assets away from over-performers to under-performers. i think they carve out $x of capital, and have a dollar and time limit in which the asset is no longer viable. i very much agree that this is a re-balancing of the contract portfolio.

Could be he was ready to leave getting lost in the DJ / Day / Rahm mix

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

Back