Snickerdog

Team THP 2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Discussing this with @2BFAST the other day and he sent me a link to watch.
It was an interesting video and their reasoning behind replacing was pretty sound.
My last set of irons (765's) I had replaced the set AW with a SM7, but had not done the set PW.
Just considering only ordering 5-9 irons and replacing the set PW with another Vokey to match my other wedges.

Has anyone replaced their set PW with a specialty wedge? ie: Vokey, MD's, Clevelands
If you have do you see any advantage? Has it helped your short game at all?

It was an interesting video and their reasoning behind replacing was pretty sound.
My last set of irons (765's) I had replaced the set AW with a SM7, but had not done the set PW.
Just considering only ordering 5-9 irons and replacing the set PW with another Vokey to match my other wedges.

Has anyone replaced their set PW with a specialty wedge? ie: Vokey, MD's, Clevelands

For me, i believe it's based on your expectations with that specific club. I look for control over distance as well as spin vs roll out. My MD3 spins more as compared to my rogue pro PW.

I very rarely use PW for anything but full swings so never even considered using anything other than set PW.

For me, i believe it's based on your expectations with that specific club. I look for control over distance as well as spin vs roll out. My MD3 spins more as compared to my rogue pro PW.

I think that is an important point about the spin vs any roll out.

When I custom ordered my Taylormade P770's I went just with a 4 - 9 iron... With the specialty wedges I think they're an upgrade over stock PW's. Obviously the most important thing is to know the 9i loft so you can pick the correct wedge loft. I went with 45* Fourteen RM-22 wedge and a 50* as well.... vokey's, MD's, ping stealth or forged are worth the investment for quality and consistency over stock PW in my opinion.

I very rarely use PW for anything but full swings so never even considered using anything other than set PW.

Same thing here.

I play my 46° pitching wedge for a lot of different shots beside full so I prefer having a wedge with the bounce that works for my area and game. For most full shot players the set PW and GW should work well. I only play a 46/51/56 in wedges so I'm using all three for more than just full shots.

Its a good convo I think, but numbers would help back it up.

I think it depends on how you use your PW. If it's mostly/only full swing shots and you don't chip and pitch with it then you should have your set wedge. If it is mostly pitches and chips and you don't use it for full swings much, then you should get a specialty wedge. If you do both you may want to look at going with some individual irons in a players blade or cavity back set. They kind of are the best of both worlds and with a short iron in hand you don't need all the forgiveness most iron sets offer these days.

Same here. I'll use it around the greens occasionally but it's pretty easy to adjust to.

Same here. I'll use it around the greens occasionally but it's pretty easy to adjust to.
Yeah, I may use it once every 10 or so rounds for a chip and run shot right off the green if the roll out distance called for fits the PW loft. Use 50, 54 and 58 for almost all pitch and chip shots.

I'm carrying 5-GW of the same set and only a 54 & 60 in my specialty wedges. I use the GW once in a while for a bump and run around the green, but the 54 and 60 get the call most of the time inside 30ish yards.

The PW is a full swing club for me in most situations so I have never thought about it. I'm actually experimenting with going in the other direction. I just bought my first AW (GW) this month to play around with more forgiveness on full and 3/4 swings - a solid experiment but I'll likely end up with a normal wedge if my track record holds.

I'm carrying 5-GW of the same set and only a 54 & 60 in my specialty wedges. I use the GW once in a while for a bump and run around the green, but the 54 and 60 get the call most of the time inside 30ish yards.

this is how I am set up as well.

I have thought about it a bunch. Just because I hit a 46* blade wedge better than my set wedge.

I carry 4 wedges, 2 of them set. I've always been a fan of set wedges. I just like the way the set flows and it gives me confidence.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Loved the i20 gap wedge but have had better, more versatile play with the SM7. Have thought about replacing the pw too but haven’t pulled the trigger yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have played the set pitching wedge being my highest lofted club and I have carried 4 specialty wedges.

It really depends on what you want. I think set wedges visually lend themselves to full swings. But depending on sole can be very playable.

One thing I think people dont consider is that a specialty wedge might be cheaper than the set wedge.

Yeah, this is me. I’m definitely not a good enough ball striker to go this route, and PW is a full shot club for me.

I have thought about it a bunch. Just because I hit a 46* blade wedge better than my set wedge.

Do you think there is a significant feel difference between the two? I noticed when I took out the set AW (the 765 AW is probably the best looking set AW there is out there) that I had better success at going for pins also the spin was better on the SM7 compared to the AW

Set clubs through AW. Having better results with this setup than the alternative. The set AWs have been very effectiive for me. Set SW, not so much.

I maybe in the minority but I really love my 545 pw and have the matching aw. I have been letting a CBX 50* battle the aw. On partial shots the CBX has a bit more grab but on full shots (which is what I tend to use the aw for almost exclusively on the course) I am much more accurate. I have yet figure out why, but I am not messing with sucess.

I could go either way on a gap wedge, but not PW. Always a full swing club, and I love my set PW.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Lots of good stuff and reasoning for the set PW's.

Do you think there is a significant feel difference between the two? I noticed when I took out the set AW (the 765 AW is probably the best looking set AW there is out there) that I had better success at going for pins also the spin was better on the SM7 compared to the AW

I think that has to do with mind set. My wedges are my scoring clubs and as such Everytime I pull one, I’m thinking about score and how this shot can help increase my chances of getting a better score.

A lot of people are saying they use set wedges and see them as an extension of their irons which, for me, have a different approach to scoring.

Back