SGI irons for a 9.9 Handicap

Shane_Jones87

Reaction score
Handicap
I play Tour Edge Exotics CU irons, and I love them don't get me wrong... I just don't like the loss of distance on mis-hits.

I've looked into picking up a set of Tour Edge Exotics XCG5 or XCG6 irons (4-PW) or (4-PW, AW)... Which are stupid easy to hit. Almost cheating...

Should I pick up a set of either of those or would I be cheating too much.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

I play Tour Edge Exotics CU irons, and I love them don't get me wrong... I just don't like the loss of distance on mis-hits.

I've looked into picking up a set of Tour Edge Exotics XCG5 or XCG6 irons (4-PW) or (4-PW, AW)... Which are stupid easy to hit. Almost cheating...

Nothing cheating about playing a club to help your game. It's not like it's an illegal club. Play the most forgiving club you enjoy looking at.

They conform to USGA standards and are legal for play, right?

How is that cheating?

Nothing cheating about playing a club to help your game. It's not like it's an illegal club. Play the most forgiving club you enjoy looking at.
Yeah my CU's are forgiving on direction... But distance forget it... I demoed both a while back, I was a club longer with XCG5 and XCG6 than the CU's...

Thinking it's time to stop kidding myself and get something more forgiving.

Not sure what you think playing a certain type of iron would be considered cheating, but play whatever makes you play your best. Never seen a club hit a ball by itself and I've been playing 40+ years.........

Not sure what you think playing a certain type of iron would be considered cheating, but play whatever makes you play your best. Never seen a club hit a ball by itself and I've been playing 40+ years.........
I've been playing almost 20... (Tiger got me hooked)... I've played these Exotics CU irons all year. And I've noticed they are shorter than I would expect...

I carry my driver 260, I carry my 7-iron 155-160 if I'm lucky with a good strike...

The SGI irons I've tried I'm about 1 club longer... So 8-iron would go the above distance...

The number stamped on the club means nothing. All that matters is that you know how far you hit each club. If you can hit one OEM's 8 iron and far as another's 7 iron, that is OK, but it is not the end all. I can hit my 7 iron a certain distance and hit it 10 yards farther simply by either setting up with my hands in front of the ball (de-loft's club=max distance) or behind the ball (adding loft).

Is there anything I'm going to have to prepare for, when I make the switch? Any big surprises, it's been a while since I've played an SGI iron.

Dude it's not cheating. Play what you like and what lets you score the best.

I switched from Game Improvement irons to Cleveland Altitudes (Super Game Improvement) this year and been loving them ever since. Average score went from an 89.1 to 84.5. With my old irons my miss (pull) would turn into a pull hook. With the Altitudes the pull stays straight and sometimes still even hits the green. If not its just off. I say go for it.

Back