Mardin

Reaction score
I'm interested in cutting down my 3W and driver shaft. What type of tool should I use to do this properly. What affect will this have on my clubs swing weight?

I'm interested in cutting down my 3W and driver shaft. What type of tool should I use to do this properly. What affect will this have on my clubs swing weight?

A simple dremel tool with a cutoff wheel will suffice for either steel or graphite shafts. I've tried plumbers tubing cutters, and even a hack saw, but a dremel worked best for me on the cheap. As to what it will do to the swing weight? It will certainly change some. How much depends on how much of the shaft is removed. There are definitely others here that can offer a more qualified answer than I can.

I cut mine down about an inch and a half with a hacksaw be careful if you go this route because the shaft can splinter. I noticed a big difference in swing weight I think it's 6 points for every inch cut but dont quote me on that. A light weight grip will fix that.

Don't use a hacksaw on graphite!!! It's not worth the risk on the graphite IMHO.

I use a simple dremel with a cutoff wheel as mentioned above.

If you sdon't have a dremmel tool, take it to GS or GG and have them cut for you. THe cost of dremmel is the same as having someone else cut it for you

Don't use a hacksaw on graphite!!! It's not worth the risk on the graphite IMHO.

I use a simple dremel with a cutoff wheel as mentioned above.

So true! I also wrap masking tape around the shaft before trimming on graphite. This helps to keep from having any split fibers. Just cut right thru the tape.

So true! I also wrap masking tape around the shaft before trimming on graphite. This helps to keep from having any split fibers. Just cut right thru the tape.

This. And the Dremel. You'll be money!

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

I recently cut down the shaft on my Superfast 2.0 and used a hacksaw for the job - absolutly no problems what so ever. You just need to be careful when your cutting the shaft - don't saw all the way through, make your first score and cut two or three times then turn the club. Takes a little bit longer to do, but you won't damage the club in the process.

All you need to do then is re-grip the club and your done. Simples :)

Thanks for the advice everyone. Sounds like the Dremmel is probably the way to go.

Like others have said, a dremel or a hacksaw has worked for me. Make sure you tape where you are cutting with masking tape.

Like others have said, a dremel or a hacksaw has worked for me. Make sure you tape where you are cutting with masking tape.

+1 on the use of masking tape to reduce the likelihood of splintering.

+1 on the dremel

if anyone has an air compressor, you can get a very cheap cutoff tool for it (I got one for $8 and 6 cutoff abrasive wheels for $6) at Harbor Freight yesterday. Works much faster and better than my cordless dremel.

if anyone has an air compressor, you can get a very cheap cutoff tool for it (I got one for $8 and 6 cutoff abrasive wheels for $6) at Harbor Freight yesterday. Works much faster and better than my cordless dremel.

Interested in this. By chance you have a better description of this tool? Tx!

Tx a bunch!

Back