Shaft Extractor - Opinions Requested!

DNice26

Happy to be here...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey Gents,

May I have your opinion on the two below options? This will be my first such purchase......just curious if the Mitchell is worth the added costs?

Thoughts? Thank you!!!!!

I have had both and the bottom one is better and its not close.

Thank you JB! Ok.....sounds like its worth the extra few bucks then. Will go that route.

Thank you JB! Ok.....sounds like its worth the extra few bucks then. Will go that route.

Its not the one I use now, partly because I gave the Mitchell to a friend, but its rock solid and more sturdy than the other.
Currently using the Golf Mechanix Reverse Thrust and might be picking up the commercial version of that Mitchell soon.

I think the cheaper ones work fine for if you are doing a club here or there.

If you are going to do volume, I would definitely suggest one of the larger extractors.

You only need a puller for graphite shafts. Steel just heat and twist.
I have the cheap Golf work puller that clamps in a vise. If you're not going to be a bunch of shaft changes then better to save money and go economical IMO.
Get a hosel cleaning brush for the drill. They are the same size so don't let them fool you on size.
Heat gun you can get cheaper at Harbor Freight or HD or Lowes

You only need a puller for graphite shafts. Steel just heat and twist.
I have the cheap Golf work puller that clamps in a vise. If you're not going to be a bunch of shaft changes then better to save money and go economical IMO.
Get a hosel cleaning brush for the drill. They are the same size so don't let them fool you on size.
Heat gun you can get cheaper at Harbor Freight or HD or Lowes
That looks interesting. Yeah, this is all for personal use.

This. I have the top one, and it’s ok, better than the bottle Jack ones out there on eBay, but I used the bottom one at THP HQ and it is amazing.

I got one of the cheap bottle jack ones and works great for the once in a while extraction. If I were doing this a lot, I would get a higher end extractor for more repetitive use. It would not even be hard to fabricate a nice unit if you have access to the right tools and are into building that sort of thing.

My only advice. If you’re going to do graphite, do not skip on the puller. It’s not worth endangering a shaft that costs way more than the puller.

This. I have the top one, and it’s ok, better than the bottle Jack ones out there on eBay, but I used the bottom one at THP HQ and it is amazing.

That's good to know. I haven't had one in several years, but I have had a couple of the bottle jack types in the past. Only one worked really well, but the guy doesn't make them anymore. The green ones - if you remember those had a really great clamp system. The other ones kinda stink.

Was thinking about getting another bottle jack type but don't think I will cause it sounds like they still aren't any good.

Any experience with the golfworks model that sits in a vise?

Edit : this one. Not the value

That's good to know. I haven't had one in several years, but I have had a couple of the bottle jack types in the past. Only one worked really well, but the guy doesn't make them anymore. The green ones - if you remember those had a really great clamp system. The other ones kinda stink.

Was thinking about getting another bottle jack type but don't think I will cause it sounds like they still aren't any good.

I'm no expert but that golfworks one that sits in a vise would scare me

Edit : this one. Not the value

Spend the extra and get the “enhanced” one if you’re going to stay golfworks

For those looking, shaft extractors and swingweight scales have been backordered off and on throughout this whole COVID disaster.

The Golf Works Enhanced shaft extractor was actually In Stock (for real) as of this morning. Ready..... go.

The Golf Works Enhanced shaft extractor was actually In Stock (for real) as of this morning. Ready..... go.

I waited about 2.5 months for mine after I ordered it. now trying to figure out how to mount it before i put it to use.

I have the Golfworks extractor. I'm sure the Mitchell is nicer, but for the volume of graphite pulls I do, it's plenty adequate. I have the one that clamps into your bench vise. If I was doing more volume I'd definitely go with something a little nicer.

I have used the cheap Golfworks one. Works fine as long as you get the shaft in the vice correctly.

Back