Shaft flex, your ego and you...

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I find this similar to the move up a tee box discussion but it got me thinking, would it bother you/hurt your ego to play a lower shaft flex than you're used to? Say you typically gravitate towards a stiff shaft but you go get fit and regular works. Can you trust that and be ok with it or will it hurt your ego?

Nope, not if I’m fit to it. I’ve got total faith in places like Club Champion in that regard. Plus, I test enough gear with R or S in them that I know playability is totally there, despite what the internet says given my SS :ROFLMAO:

• Admin
Nope, not if I’m fit to it. I’ve got total faith in places like Club Champion in that regard. Plus, I test enough gear with R or S in them that I know playability is totally there, despite what the internet says given my SS :ROFLMAO:
Well its the internet golfer in us right? I guess the same could be said for the opposite. At HQ I was swinging that TX shaft and I was scared but it actually wasn't bad at all haha

I have been fit across a range of specs across different fitters in different sessions - from R to X. I question it when it’s not S. Not offended, but it just gives me some pause.

I can move up and down flex easily. My swing speed is that is makes it very easy to play either depending on the profile. For me it is really about feel.

Not at all. Golf, injuries and surgeries have beat down most all of my ego when it comes to things like that.

I think it comes down to your belief in getting fit. (There's been some interesting discussion these last few weeks about it! :ROFLMAO: )

If I'm fit to a certain shaft then that's what I'll play. I wonder if peeps have the same issue moving from steel to graphite?

I’d like to say if I’d played well and gave me the trajectory I want I would be good with it.

Until it actually happens I will never know for sure.

I turned 65 and the last few years I have been borderline stiff to regular. Made the switch to all regular this year. Clubs feel great with great numbers and ball flight...
Doesn’t bother me at all!

No ego. R-flex has been in play in my steel shafted irons. It actually was a good thing for me as I created enough lag to combat my adding of loft. Less bendy, more height. I need less.

Driver-I’m in the process of taking out my 76g 6.5 HZRDUS of my driver and installing a GD Tour AD DI 5s (at I think 57 grams). Post accident and illness I’m playing at 105 CHS with driver and it’s just too much. I think if I want a little more the GD shaft can handle it.

I’m leaving the rediculous shaft in my 12* 3w+ though. It’s something stupid like a 130g Tour X flex. If I attack with violence that’s my club for it. I can’t do anything other than to hit low (for me) darts with it no matter how hard I try.

Flex doesn’t matter to me so whatever works for me will be what I use. I will gladly push my ego aside if the numbers prove it beneficial.

If I’m hitting on a launch monitor and the results are there I trust it.

At 55, I have no problem changing from stiff shafts to whatever I'm fit into

I also was very ego driven until I’ve almost croaked a couple times. I played heavy TX in everything. Other than my steel shafted irons in R-flex. I hit them lower and better?

Not so much on golf but prior to illness and accident you weren’t outdriving me. If I was playing with someone that might, I’d slap the Black 7.0 in my M1 430 and that would be that. Sure you might get me a hole or two, but oh no, I’d crank up into full LD guy mode.

So yeah I get it. I’d rather hit it 270 straight now than 370 and into the woods.

So I’m stuffing the ego and trying to play smart and also play equipment that is more suited to me now. Not where I was 4 years ago, swinging 130+ and hulk smashing every tee shot.

Nope, I won't be proud with shaft flex.

As long as the club head on the end isn't horrendously ugly, I'm good with whatever... but I realized I am vain when it comes to what I consider ugly club heads... I thought I could play them; Nope. I can't. Well, not can't. Won't.

I can trust the fitting as to what works best for my game. I think a larger problem relating to this is the difference in company “a’s” stiff vs. company “b’s” stiff might vary quite a bit. Even within a singular company the flex of a 120g R might play stiffer than a 90g S so it all becomes a bit confusing to golfers.

I am kind of on the edge of regular vs stiff. In my fitting last year we went lighter but still stiff vs a heavier regular flex. I also tend to prefer accuracy over distance which for me made a difference.

All that said if I got fit into a regular flex and it performed the way I wanted I wouldn’t care.

I can trust the fitting as to what works best for my game. I think a larger problem relating to this is the difference in company “a’s” stiff vs. company “b’s” stiff might vary quite a bit. Even within a singular company the flex of a 120g R might play stiffer than a 90g S so it all becomes a bit confusing to golfers.
Absolutely. Sadly there is no standard in the industry that I am aware of when it comes to stiffness.

I would be happy with whatever the fitter said is best.

Absolutely. Sadly there is no standard in the industry that I am aware of when it comes to stiffness.
Me neither, with multiple ways to test “stiffness” and each with multiple variances of how to do them. Deflection Board (4lb,7lb) CPM (205g,454g) and EI curve (machine and pressure applied). Just the same with every other aspect of golf.

No ego, I'd play whatever was the best fit/worked best for me. Hitting solid, consistent drives would make me feel a lot better than playing a S or XS shaft that I had no business swinging.

I’ll play whatever the fitter recommends

Back