Shaft flex, your ego and you...

I play to what I’ve been fit into. Had played regular shaft but the fitter moved me into stiff for my Apex’s but it hasn’t added anything extra to my anatomy 🤣

I play to what I’ve been fit into. Had played regular shaft but the fitter moved me into stiff for my Apex’s but it hasn’t added anything extra to my anatomy 🤣
I have had a number of people tell me due to my swing speed I need stiffer heavier shafts for my irons, but the crazy thing is I simply do not hit the stiffer shafts good at all. I think it is the feel the stiffer shafts produce that I don't like. I use a KBS 50G regular flex shaft in my irons that I was fit into and for some reason it just works for me. Crazy how golf is different for different types of swings and feels.

I think the weight is a factor as well. I was fit into a regular shaft in my hybrids about 2 years ago and I hit them very well. When the guys at Adilla recommened I drop to the regular in the new Rogue driver shaft, I just went with it. Saturday my motion was very good and I was likely reaching into mid to upper 90's with my speed but that shaft was more stable then any shaft I've hit before. Says regular on it but not whimpy. I'd say simply no if someone handed me the stiff version of that shaft

I was fit into R in one set, and play S in another. I was fit into S for driver/woods, and R for Hybrids.

I don't care what "flex" the tag reads. If it works, it works.

It's all about that profile.

If my shaft isn't rebar, it's not stiff enough.

Just kidding, I'll swing whatever helps me hit it better.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Stiffness is just one aspect of a club fitting. If that changes due to age, swing speed or just switching shaft brand, so be it. I would have no issue switching from S to R. It will happen at some point, I am sure.

I'd go with the fitting. All stiff shafts are not created equal!

I am headed from regular to a flex here on my next set. I am actually gaining yards because the f2 recoil just fits me better than my steel fiber i80.

I’ve never been fitted. But no. While I lean towards Stiff+ or X-stiff (whatever that means), it really depends on the shaft and the profile. I’m open to all as long as I can control it and it fits the shot I need.
eating my own words a little bit here, but flexing down to stiff shafts. I’m loading it better and actually controlling it better.

It a strange trend, as I do more and more fits and try out more and more profiles, I am trending towards stiffer clubs. My brain says "you can't possibly be able to swing XStiff shafts, stick to the stiff shafts" but the results say otherwise. Go with specific shaft profiles that flex in the right spot and go up in stiffness to control the head seems to be my magic combo.

I will play whatever I'm fit to period. I have no allegiance to a flex and realize as I'm getting older my swing speed will eventually decrease. Golf is hard enough when playing with the equipment that best fits my swing, why make it harder

Well no two shafts are the same. Some X's play soft for my swing and some S's play stout and vice versa. Depends on the shaft and if I'm fit into it and it works I'll damn sure use it.

It a strange trend, as I do more and more fits and try out more and more profiles, I am trending towards stiffer clubs. My brain says "you can't possibly be able to swing XStiff shafts, stick to the stiff shafts" but the results say otherwise. Go with specific shaft profiles that flex in the right spot and go up in stiffness to control the head seems to be my magic combo.
This ^ has been my journey too.

I’m 66 years old. Back when I was 18, I got a set of clubs with stiff shafts that I used for many years until I stopped playing. When I started up again last summer, my swing speed had dropped a lot. I was told at a big box golf shop that I should now be using senior flex. I had no problem with that and bought a used set of clubs with senior flex shafts. I did get a professional fitting later and now use regular shafts but my fairway woods are still A flex. My ego doesn’t rule me. I’d use ladies clubs if it helped my game.

I fit myself into “regular” when I took up the game with more regularity 20 odd years ago and despite getting older, I am finding that I am getting fit into stiff in some profiles. So I play various shaft stiffness in my clubs, whatever works comfortably with your natural swing. I just don’t like having to modify my swing to match the shaft, it should be the other way around.

I find this similar to the move up a tee box discussion but it got me thinking, would it bother you/hurt your ego to play a lower shaft flex than you're used to? Say you typically gravitate towards a stiff shaft but you go get fit and regular works. Can you trust that and be ok with it or will it hurt your ego?
I'm the opposite. I've been told by an instructor and a pretty decent stick that I play with pretty regularly that I should go get fit because I'd probably be better off in a stiff flex. I'm doing a shaft fitting later this spring when the game is out of the winter sh!t show mode.

I've, for whatever reason, associated a stiff flex shaft with a better player (which I am not). 🤷‍♂️

Funny how this thread hits me right now haha

I wouldn't overthink it. Just because there is 1 club where a specific setup works with a different flex than normal doesn't mean its the rule.

N
I find this similar to the move up a tee box discussion but it got me thinking, would it bother you/hurt your ego to play a lower shaft flex than you're used to? Say you typically gravitate towards a stiff shaft but you go get fit and regular works. Can you trust that and be ok with it or will it hurt your ego?
Nope, don’t care. I recently moved from x to s and it works better for me 😊.

I wouldn't overthink it. Just because there is 1 club where a specific setup works with a different flex than normal doesn't mean its the rule.
Haha I’m not just thought it was funny

Right? The only time it ever really bothers me is if the weight is way off. Like a 43 gram reg flex. Or something crazy soft like from XXIO. But for most OEMs drop in flex doesn't bother me. Hell my fws are a softer flex.

Back