Shaft flex, your ego and you...

It doesn't matter to me. I'm always right on the border between R and S anyway, so my bag is a mix of the two. If somebody put me into an A or X flex, that would be pretty shocking though.

Absolutely would play anything that helped get flight, spin, dispersion in the zone I like. Doesn't matter what the label says.

If I remember correctly Patrick Cantley plays stiff flex iron shafts. Find what works and go for it..

A few years back I was fit in to a regular flex shaft that they also tipped on the original Epic driver and at the time I was pretty bummed. My ego was pretty disappointed.

These days though I'll play whatever is the best fit. This last fitting was the opposite and I was put in to a 70g stiff shaft and was bordering on X Stiff. Now my ego is wondering did I bite off more than I can chew? :ROFLMAO:

As a R flex shaft player in my driver I have no problem playing it. During my shaft testing with the fitter he tried a S but the profile was just not handling my violent transition, said we could try something else in S if I wanted but said I probably would not see much benefit over the R flex in that shaft profile.

I can move up and down flex easily. My swing speed is that is makes it very easy to play either depending on the profile. For me it is really about feel.
I have found that to be true with me as well. One flex either way makes little difference. I've been told when I asked the question, if you are talking the same shaft and just going up or down in flex about the only difference will be that the softer flex gets the ball up quicker while the stiffest will launch lower. I questioned this when I got fit for the "senior" flex at ECPC in my woods while the clubs were built with "regular" flex.

Would not bother me at all to be fit into regular flex shafts instead of stiff. If it shows that it helps me, I'm all in.

I have no issue with moving down a tee box or if my shaft flex changes. I want to have fun out there and get my scoring down. If these changes help me do that then so be it. i would think as I would get more confident at shorter distance and felt i could move to further back tee box I would do that.

Absolutely not. I play an R-flex shaft in everything because I've yet to be fitted, it's about the middle of the spectrum, and it feels comfortable. If I get fitted and they say I need an adult/senior flex shaft then that's what I'll swing.

I tried an S-flex shaft on a driver. Felt like hitting a brick with a piece of rebar
lol.gif

I don't really care what flex it is as long as it's not wiggly by the head. I like some flex up high.

If I am fit into something I will trust it. If it is close for flex, I would rather error on the stiffer side.

I was fit and went to regular from stiff when I found out a club fitter was double soft stepping a stiff. I said, "Just put me in regular."

He said, "Some guys can't handle it."

I said, "I'm not some guy. Give me a senior if that works - they're fun to hit occasionally."

Sometimes, I am a regular +, at other times a regular. Whatever works best.

Yeah, I would be fine if I had to go down a flex. But I don't, so it's a moot point.

No problem at all. If the professional can show me that I’ll play better I’m all for it.

If I am fit into something I will trust it. If it is close for flex, I would rather error on the stiffer side.
See I'm the opposite, I personally would err on the side of a softer flex for when my swing goes sideways. Also I have to deal with the curse of the seasons and can't play a round for about 5 months every winter and suffer loss of swing. 😥

I got fitted and went from stiff graphite to regular steel and never blinked

If it helps my game I'll play whatever flex works best. The only difference, from a visual perspective is a little R or S. Not everyone notices that, but they will notice when you are playing better golf!

I've tried moving down to R Flex because of my age. Found out that R Flex for the Driver, FWs, or Hybrids that I have to use a S flex shaft works better. Irons and wedges are the only clubs in the R flex that will work for me in the bag. When I golf, I leave my ego at home, otherwise it gets me in trouble. :laughing:

I have played senoir flex and regular flex. While I can handle either, I play regular flex in my Mizuno 919 HM's. I've been "fit" 4 times. 1st 2 at a PGASS and they at least got the necessary lie for my swing right. 3rd time was at Club Champion and that [insert some politically-correct term to keep me from cussing on this here public forum] tried to convince me I needed 40 gram ladies flex shafts. 4th time was a Mizuno rep that told me I'm borderline between senior and regular flex, but he recommended regular. In my 919 HM's, I play Recoil 95's in F3, and I'm playing better than I ever have in my life.

So, my direct answer is that I'll play what the fitter recommends, but only if I trust him.

Whatever combination produces the best ball flight, numbers and comfort is step one. Step two is actually looking at the club to see what it is. So no, I have no pride in the letter on the shaft.

It seems like Autoflex could be a gateway drug for guys to more carefully considering what flex they play....

Last edited:
No, I moved to R shafts a few years ago, may look at senior flex in the next 5 years . Really, whatever the fitter tells me I will try.

In the end, there are few who will put their ego ahead of lower scores.

I mistrust the fitting process enough that there's always going to be a doubt. When the switch last year to graphite seemed successful - after being told by different fitters it wasn't the right shaft - it just brought a little more doubt into the equation. So it was kind of the opposite for me.

If it helps my game I'll play whatever flex works best. The only difference, from a visual perspective is a little R or S. Not everyone notices that, but they will notice when you are playing better golf!

True, the flex is just a letter on the shaft as far as a I am concerned. I have zero ego when it comes to golf so it’s not an issue for me.

I find this similar to the move up a tee box discussion but it got me thinking, would it bother you/hurt your ego to play a lower shaft flex than you're used to? Say you typically gravitate towards a stiff shaft but you go get fit and regular works. Can you trust that and be ok with it or will it hurt your ego?
Hell no! I would play pink, Hello Kitty shafts if that is what gave me the best performance, lol.

I was talking to a fitter a couple of years ago, and he was fitting this guy for a driver. They tried a bunch of different head/shaft combos and none of them performed any better than his current driver. The fitter tried one more thing and the guy was gaining a legit 20 yards. He finally looked at the shaft and there was an "L" on it. He told the fitter he only plays stiff shafts and wouldn't be caught dead playing a ladies flex. So because of his fragile ego, he left 20 yards on the table.

Back