Shaft help, opinions needed.

Danilo

Master Blaster!!
Reaction score
Handicap
17.xx
I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to shafts, so I need to ask for help...

My current driver (Bstone 445 9.5*) has the PX5.0 shaft in it, I find it to have a slightly too high launch, and be a bit soft...
I have used the same driver with a 5.5, and found that to be better in terms of the stiffness, but still with high launch.

What are some shafts that have a similar flex to the px 5.5, but a lower launch (a stiffer tip I think?)
I do love the stock Miyazaki in my Black 3w (R flex), but have never had a Miyazaki shaft in my driver, and after all the great things I read, I kind of want to try it. (would love a B.Asha, except for the price tag)

Thanks for any help.
-Danilo

How much are you looking to spend, Danilo?

How much are you looking to spend, Danilo?

I know there are some older model drivers that sell very cheap on used racks and online and offer some nice shafts, I would like to see if there is something like that, that maybe works for me, but I would like to limit it at about $80-100 bux.

I have a hard time understanding "flex code" the 4 digit number, to me it's just 4 numbers... Is there a list I have not fount that explains what they mean?

Typically, if the last two numbers are lower than the first two, the shaft will launch higher. The four numbers indicate stiffness (on a 1-9 scale for each section of the shaft, starting at the butt end and working towards the tip.

A stiffer tip section will generally launch and spin less. Stiffer tip section may alter feel or the way the shaft behaves for you in general.

You could always get a Pro Launch Red for 50-60$.

UST ProForce V2 and Miyazaki Kusala Black are a couple others, though can't comment on price.

Thanks guys,

I'm guessing what I need is a regular flex shaft with a firmer tip section to keep the ball down.

It doesn't get a whole lot lower than a PX. Lower your loft maybe?

It doesn't get a whole lot lower than a PX. Lower your loft maybe?

It's a 9.5 head... With my Nike same loft I had a much lower launch, a got a lot of roll out.

It's a 9.5 head... With my Nike same loft I had a much lower launch, a got a lot of roll out.

good lower launching budget shaft would be the Pro-launch Red

good lower launching budget shaft would be the Pro-launch Red

I don't know that that would launch lower than a PX though.

What's your swing speed? Sure you can't jump to a stiff 6.0?

THPing on Tapatalk

I think it would be. Higher kick point and stiffer tip section on the red.

UST VTS maybe

I think it would be. Higher kick point and stiffer tip section on the red.

I've never hit the Red so I guess I don't know for sure. In my experience though, not much is lower than PX.

THPing on Tapatalk

What's your swing speed? Sure you can't jump to a stiff 6.0?

THPing on Tapatalk

I'm right around 100 on swing speed, 99-102 from last time on monitor. The 6.0 is too stiff, the 5.5 is ok, but I would think it would also be pretty high launching, that's why I want to get away from px.

AXE man I'm telling you

I'm right around 100 on swing speed, 99-102 from last time on monitor. The 6.0 is too stiff, the 5.5 is ok, but I would think it would also be pretty high launching, that's why I want to get away from px.

Well, the PX is pretty darn low so keeping under $100 you don't have too many options for lower. ProForce V2 96 gram (very heavy) or RIP Alpha is all that comes to mind.

Loft is always an option too. Go down to 8.5

THPing on Tapatalk

Well, the PX is pretty darn low so keeping under $100 you don't have too many options for lower. ProForce V2 96 gram (very heavy) or RIP Alpha is all that comes to mind.

Loft is always an option too. Go down to 8.5

THPing on Tapatalk

That would be more expensive than the shaft...

I think I will start with a PX 5.5 since everyone says they are low launching, and I may just be a bit past the 5.0... and I also have my eye on a Miyazaki with a 3566 & 2455 code, so just to see how it goes. Gonna hit a few shops in the area and take a peak at the used racks as well.

That would be more expensive than the shaft...

I think I will start with a PX 5.5 since everyone says they are low launching, and I may just be a bit past the 5.0... and I also have my eye on a Miyazaki with a 3566 & 2455 code, so just to see how it goes. Gonna hit a few shops in the area and take a peak at the used racks as well.

If you're at 100 I'd say you're well beyond a 5.0. You could try Tim trimming your 5.5 to play a little stiffer. Then add an inch in the butt of the shaft to get the length back.

Miyazaki will be expensive.

THPing on Tapatalk

If you're at 100 I'd say you're well beyond a 5.0. You could try Tim trimming your 5.5 to play a little stiffer. Then add an inch in the butt of the shaft to get the length back.

Miyazaki will be expensive.

THPing on Tapatalk

On ebay all day for well under 100... There are a lot of deals out there.

Last night I did read something, I believe on the miyazaki site about tip trimming that will add stiffness to the shaft, and am giving this some real consideration.

Played this morning and on the way back stopped by to have the shaft cut an inch from the tip, and add an inch on the butt end. Will try it again tomorrow morning for my round.

Back