Shaft matching through the wedges

kiwichris

Team Smoked Charcuterie
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
What do folks around here like to do once they have settled on the shaft for their irons?

Do you carry that through the wedges with the same specs for the same 'feel' through the bag?

Do you go a flex lighter as TT recommends when they are working to build "wedge flex' shafts?

Do you go completely off the reservation and choose something completely different?

I'm planning on re-shafting my Hogan Equalizers to the same shaft/flex as my irons, I do like to hit a full shot with my 61 deg at times and am thinking if they match the rest feel and performance should match.

I used to go the same thoughout. Currently, I have stiff in the wedges and X in the irons. I probably should have stiff in the irons, but not sure I'd really wanna go softer than stiff in the wedges.

I just changed over a couple weeks ago. Used to have Nippon Modus Tour 120X in all my irons and wedges. But I felt like they were too stiff in my sand and lob wedges when hitting partial shots so I swapped them over to some DG S shafts. I feel like the softer flex works better for the partial shots that I mostly use those clubs for.

I go heavier in the wedges. My irons are about 100g while all of my wedges are 120g :eek: Don't ask me why, it just feels better in the wedges

I just changed over a couple weeks ago. Used to have Nippon Modus Tour 120X in all my irons and wedges. But I felt like they were too stiff in my sand and lob wedges when hitting partial shots so I swapped them over to some DG S shafts. I feel like the softer flex works better for the partial shots that I mostly use those clubs for.
I like your thinking, I'm always trying to get a full shot in (I have been working on my feel shots on the course as that plan doesn't always work) so I can see why a slightly softer wedge would help there.

I have the same shaft in my 50 degree (which is a set wedge) as the rest of my irons. I don’t like it. I’ve kept a steel shaft in my 56 after switching to graphite in the rest of the set, and it works well for me.

I go heavier in the wedges. My irons are about 100g while all of my wedges are 120g :eek: Don't ask me why, it just feels better in the wedges
Makes sense to me. Same flex?

I have stock Nippon 1030H Stiff shafts in my irons and the stock S200 in my SM7's. With the new SM8's I will stick with those in the 54 and 58 but will get the S400 in the 49 as that will be mostly full shots.

I have tried all different ways but generally like the same shaft for all, right now have them heavier by quite a bit and like the feel. But I never intended to go so low with the iron weights, it just sort of happened with what I could find to try. If i ever find a set of Paderson 110 iron shafts to try that would narrow the gap in weight a bit.

Whether laziness or what, I have Recoil graphite shafts in my irons and DG S400 Tour issue steel in my wedges.

Mine don't typically match exactly. I have a lot of iron sets and a lot of wedge sets, so they just generally get a little heavier and a softer profile, not necessarily labeled flex. Like there's a thread where a guy was asking about c-tapers in his wedges. I play C-tapers, and then switch to KBS Tour or DG in the wedges. I'd rather play a 'stiffer' and heavier shaft in a softer or more mid profile, than the same c-taper or other stiff iron profile that's even heavier and stiffer. The weight and smoother profile in them matters more to me than a specific flex, because I play shaft profiles that are pretty stout for my swing speed in my irons.

I am interested to try out the new Cleveland RTX Zipcore with the spinner shafts to see the difference between them and the S400 in my RTX4.

My last 3 iron and wedge sets have had the same shaft throughout.

I am interested to try out the new Cleveland RTX Zipcore with the spinner shafts to see the difference between them and the S400 in my RTX4.
Totally agree, I also have an older Xcaliber RT 85 & 100 Spinner wedge shafts that need to find a home for testing.

When I did my fitting at ECPC they kept the shafts the same thru the wedges, but upped the swing weight by 1 point. Had good success with them, but recently have been testing the same wedges in steel, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Only wedge I'd go all in on the same shafts as my irons would be a PW or AW replacement. For my SW&LW, which I usually only swing up to 3/4 I go a little heavier than my irons shafts, and with a wedge flex. Currently going from Modus 120 iron shafts to KBS Tour-V 125 wedge shafts, based on my fitting at ECPC.

I ordered my iron set and wedges all with the same shaft as recommended by the fitter. Previously played stock shaft in both my fitted iron set and stock wedges.

Mine may not match, but I'll usually go with a stiff flex, non-wedge-specific shaft. Currently I have DG Tour Issue S300s in my gap and sand wedges. I use my wedges for full swings, also.

When I did my fitting at ECPC they kept the shafts the same thru the wedges, but upped the swing weight by 1 point. Had good success with them, but recently have been testing the same wedges in steel, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
I put a couple Hi-rev 125s together last weekend to go with my apex set and I seriously dug them on one range session and one outing.

I use wedge specific shafts in my 51*, 55*, and 59*, Shimada Tour Wedge Black (121 grams).

Same shafts throughout. But I also use all my wedges, including my 60 degree, on full swings. And the shafts are constant weight shafts.

Last edited:
The same? Are you joking? No, no, no. (lol)

I use graphite in irons but in my Gap-Lob wedges, I prefer Nippon Pro Modus 3 Wedge 115 (122g) Shafts.

I believe traditional iron shafts get liighter as they get shorter unless you have constant weight shafts - I prefer some heft in wedges.

Back