Shaft over Driver Mistake

bgammill

Reaction score
Handicap
I went to get fitted for a shaft in my driver today and they wanted me to buy a new R11 instead of reshafting
my R9 SuperTri. I tried explaining I likes the feel of my R9 better And went forward with reshafting. I got an Aldila RIP Alpha 70 X stiff for my R9 which is just like the shaft that comes in the R11 TP.

So do you think I made the right decision with reshafting instead of getting an R11. I'm not worried about distance, which was his selling point. I reshafted for $130 and a new club was over $400.

Thanks just want some idea I didn't make the biggest mistake in the years to come.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Did you hit the shaft that you were fit for in your R9 Supertri? The reason I ask is that the characteristics of the heads of the R9 Supertri vs. the R11 are fairly different, would hate for you to have liked the feel of the shaft when put in the R11 head, and then you have different results when pairing it with the R9 Supertri head. If you did hit that shaft in the R9 Supertri and you felt good with it and got good numbers with it, then I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Ummmm...you made a great choice. The ST is longer and more forgiving that the R11. That dude was just trying to up sell you...you won

**I workabilitied that post using Tapatalk**

I went to get fitted for a shaft in my driver today and they wanted me to buy a new R11 instead of reshafting
my R9 SuperTri. I tried explaining I likes the feel of my R9 better And went forward with reshafting. I got an Aldila RIP Alpha 70 X stiff for my R9 which is just like the shaft that comes in the R11 TP.

So do you think I made the right decision with reshafting instead of getting an R11. I'm not worried about distance, which was his selling point. I reshafted for $130 and a new club was over $400.

Thanks just want some idea I didn't make the biggest mistake in the years to come.

One of the reasons I like my fittings at a custom shop. Never any pressure to buy anything. If you got fit for the shaft and it fits, then I would say you did the right thing. New does not always make better. Accuracy trumps length everytime.

Did you hit the shaft that you were fit for in your R9 Supertri? The reason I ask is that the characteristics of the heads of the R9 Supertri vs. the R11 are fairly different, would hate for you to have liked the feel of the shaft when put in the R11 head, and then you have different results when pairing it with the R9 Supertri head. If you did hit that shaft in the R9 Supertri and you felt good with it and got good numbers with it, then I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I did hit both with the shaft and lost a little distance with the R9 but it was 10 yards and averages 280 on the monitor.

I agree with Ary's assessment. Since you hit it in the SuperTri, I'd say you should stay with whatever you like best. The SuperTri is a great head and one I would like to pick up as a back-up sometime soon. The SuperTri is a higher spin head compared to the R11, so that was the basis of the concern.

the RIP is a upcharge in the R11, the Blur 65 is the stock TP shaft in the R11, anyhow i love the RIP Alpha, thats what i played in my Supertri last year, play it in my Rescue11 hybrid, in my 910F and in my 910D2, im a bit of a RIP fan if you cant tell lol, i think you made a great choice in reshafting rather than going with a new driver.

I think you made the right decision. If you like the feel of the R9 better and just wanted the shaft fitting that's all he should have done. I'm not a fan of these guys that immediately try to upsell products and if they try it with me I usually just walk away or ask for someone else to help me.

IMO the shaft makes a bigger difference than the head. So being fit for the shaft is more important than being fit for a head because someone can be fit for many heads, but only a few shafts will give them the best results.

I'd say it depends on which is more important to you: the $270+ you saved by keeping the r9 or the 10 yards you lost by not going with the r11.

The supertri is much longer than the R11, I bet 95% of the people that hit'em.
I'd say it depends on which is more important to you: the $270+ you saved by keeping the r9 or the 10 yards you lost by not going with the r11.

Ive played two rounds so far with my the new shaft in the driver and I have to say I'm loving it. Today I used 'mark the spot' on my GPS to see exactly how far I was hitting. My long was 315 and short was 279. Not only am I hitting a little better I'm hitting fairways. Hit 10/14 fairways today! Too bad I made so many mistakes with other clubs today or it could have been a great round. Thanks for all the feed back.

How do you feel the Rip Alpha compares to the NV 65? I've heard that they are stiffer and lower spinning?

How do you feel the Rip Alpha compares to the NV 65? I've heard that they are stiffer and lower spinning?

For me it gives me a lot less spin. It's much stiffer than my old shaft and the thing I noticed most was the weight. It's a lot heavier to me and that's something mentally I had to get through and the feel. I'm hitting hit actually the same distance but much more accurate. My misses are 5-10 yard right or left not 30-50

Back