Lots of great questions so far in this thread. I'll piggy back mine onto this one as it relates to CPM.

I was fit into a set of graphite shafts where the "flex" was prescribed for each iron in the set in terms of CPM. The particular shaft had an 8 inch parallel tip section that allowed for the fine tuning of flex. How should CPM progress through an iron set? Is there a simple way for a consumer to know what each OEMs definition of R, S, X in CPM? Ideally, EI profiles should be offered by each manufacturer.
Here’s a general rule of thumb that is done via length of clubs and CPM’s. The shaded is how far overlaps are in the industry on average.

So what specifically is your question?

Recoil vs Recoil Dart. There’s a weight difference but which are suited to which kind of golf swing?

If you had someone available to you that could answer anything you wanted answered about golf shafts, what would your question(s) be?

Tech? Style? Cosmetics? Full lineup debates? Torque?
OMG... I want to know all about them.

What type of swing profile fits what kind of shaft...(I get swing speed - but thinking transitions, attack angle, etc...) What's currently the best material to make a shaft out of? Do I want torque or not want torque?

I'd love to know what the margins are on some of these shafts. I mean charging $350 for a shaft?? How much can it really cost

I'd love to know what the margins are on some of these shafts. I mean charging $350 for a shaft?? How much can it really cost
I always assumed it was like a pharmaceutical model - the fist shaft costs millions and the rest cost 5 bucks but they price it to recoup the investment and the profit required

AI?

To piggyback on at least a few previously asked, hi end shafts, think velocore, AD (whatever there are a few), Padderson (apologies if spelled wrong) among them. So to be clear, I am not singling these out - but many come in a variety of flexes, so presumably they are made for various swing speeds. What do the offer for the price? If a person hit a good drive say 230 with a stock R shaft, and it's in play - maybe first cut, but not wild, what might they expect if they were to demo/test/get fit for the what I'll call exotics? Would it all be better dispersion or would they unlock a distance gain that was significant?

In my very limited experience with fittings the fitters gravitated to heads and stock shafts or lower cost semi-exotics. As if e price point was the issue?

Sorry if that became sort of really confusing.

So what specifically is your question?
Seriously it would be nice to have an accessible database of wood, iron, wedge, putter shafts to answer the basic - characteristics, type of swing and recommended swing speed to the exotic, torque, bend ratio, kick point for folks.

I’ve not yet found that anywhere

Have you tried anything different with shape? meaning, oval, square, octagonal? Is that even possible.

What is something that no one gets right about shafts?

High launch, low spin.. Is that really even possible?

I want to learn more about graphite shafts for irons. Why are they better than steel shafts performance wise?
LOVE this question.

Pretty much a series on debunking the myths of the graphite iron shafts. I've been to a fitting where I really wanted to try an graphite iron shaft and the fitter said no way, I'm not old enough for those, I swing the club to fast and transition to hard. I need heavy steel, etc. I went and tested some on my own and was VERY surprised at the results. I am way more intrigued by graphite iron shafts now and really want to understand more.

Pretty much a series on debunking the myths of the graphite iron shafts. I've been to a fitting where I really wanted to try an graphite iron shaft and the fitter said no way, I'm not old enough for those, I swing the club to fast and transition to hard. I need heavy steel, etc. I went and tested some on my own and was VERY surprised at the results. I am way more intrigued by graphite iron shafts now and really want to understand more.
I have heard that they are able to be more stable than steel with less weight due to material make up. I don' t know a lot but ready to learn.

I have heard that they are able to be more stable than steel with less weight due to material make up. I don' t know a lot but ready to learn.

The answer to this is, yes they can be! I am ready to learn more too!

Why would I want to play a graphite shaft in my irons? Also what might be the direction I'd go in graphite if I swing 130 XStiff steel for my irons?

How sensitive is the head + shaft combo typically? I.e. would in general a shaft that works well in a specific head also work well in another. If not what would be the main reason, weight of the head?

How sensitive is the head + shaft combo typically? I.e. would in general a shaft that works well in a specific head also work well in another. If not what would be the main reason, weight of the head?
I like this one.

I'm also curious to get into the nuance of why different bend profiles for different swings.

I've been to a fitting where I really wanted to try an graphite iron shaft and the fitter said no way, I'm not old enough for those, I swing the club to fast and transition to hard.
Nick Faldo did your fitting? Kidding. Sort of.

That fitter is poorly informed.

Nick Faldo did your fitting? Kidding. Sort of.

That fitter is poorly informed.

I was soo disappointed @Parrot. Glad, I've been able to learn a lot and THP has REALLY helped. Unfortunately, I still had to pay my fitting fee even though I didn't buy anything. I left the fitting feeling deflated and not happy with my options. He basically told me that my swing sucked and that the Project X 6.5 was going to give me the best dispersion out of all the irons they had. Since, the flight pattern was more of a strong draw now, I could start my flight line a little more right and get it to come back to center. Also, he indicated that I was going to have great distance as well (numbers indicated that). What he didn't help me with was being able to stop the ball on the green. All, my spin numbers were really low and my ball flight was more piercing (so lots of roll). I was very specific that I wanted something with tighter dispersion, I was NOT on a witch hunt for distance and I wanted to have decent descent angles and spin to help me hold the green on my mid/short irons.

Is cost a limiting factor for performance and/or the technology that's implemented? Just curious if they had an unlimited budget could they make a shaft that would perform significantly better than what's currently available, even if the cost was outlandish. (Think Titleist CNCPT)

I know these are probably very basic questions but I'm just trying to learn more about my own equipment. So, don't heckle me too much. Hahahha
Talk to me about ladies shafts. Are Senior and ladies flex basically the same? What about regular vs ladies? What's different? And should I ever move to a different shaft? Does it depend on what driver head I'm using too?

I feel like i know nothing and want to know all i can about shafts, so its hard for me to put together questions.
Is there a baseline design shafts are started from and adjist from there or is it ground up design with each new shaft?

One question i always have shaft related, and i know it might be stupid, but what *should* i feel in a shaft that works well for me? I know what i like to feel, but always wondered about that.

From a shaft perspective, has there been any research done on how that effects performance in One Length clubs? Does one material handle OL better than another? Or does this not effect such a change from the norm?

Composite putter shafts. Tell me the truth?

I know these are probably very basic questions but I'm just trying to learn more about my own equipment. So, don't heckle me too much. Hahahha
Talk to me about ladies shafts. Are Senior and ladies flex basically the same? What about regular vs ladies? What's different? And should I ever move to a different shaft? Does it depend on what driver head I'm using too?
Well - what I know is that my wife was fitted into a senior flex based on her swing speed and what she needed off the tee with the driver. Mainly about swing speed and that senior flex is a bit stiffer than ladies flex. So all depends on your swing speed.

I was soo disappointed @Parrot. Glad, I've been able to learn a lot and THP has REALLY helped. Unfortunately, I still had to pay my fitting fee even though I didn't buy anything. I left the fitting feeling deflated and not happy with my options. He basically told me that my swing sucked and that the Project X 6.5 was going to give me the best dispersion out of all the irons they had. Since, the flight pattern was more of a strong draw now, I could start my flight line a little more right and get it to come back to center. Also, he indicated that I was going to have great distance as well (numbers indicated that). What he didn't help me with was being able to stop the ball on the green. All, my spin numbers were really low and my ball flight was more piercing (so lots of roll). I was very specific that I wanted something with tighter dispersion, I was NOT on a witch hunt for distance and I wanted to have decent descent angles and spin to help me hold the green on my mid/short irons.
I've been fortunate to have an excellent fitter. My first time to be fit (fitted?) by him, I hit my gamers to get a baseline and he went to work. When he had it dialed in, he asked if there was a head and/or shaft I wanted to try. I named a few, some of which we had tried and put back. After seeing less performance, he explained why that was not a good fit for me. He has never told me no when I want to try something. He has never said flat out that won't work for you because of this or that (and certainly not age). He may thinnk that but he lets me try whatever it is. Sorry you had a bad experience.

Back