Shaft recommendations for Ping G for better feel

gawoo1012

Reaction score
Handicap
Howdy folks,

I game the Ping G driver. Love the feel when struck well but the Ping Tour 65s shaft I have just doesn't give me the feel of the clubhead that I want. I get good flight & dispersion but I just find it a bit wooden

Last shaft I used that I remember most fondly was the Aldila NV Prototype 60s which I had in the Cobra AMP...had that club on a string

I have a swing speed in low 90s with driver. Generally hit it pretty straight but not the longest. I do have a pretty quick tempo

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Howdy folks,

I game the Ping G driver. Love the feel when struck well but the Ping Tour 65s shaft I have just doesn't give me the feel of the clubhead that I want. I get good flight & dispersion but I just find it a bit wooden

Last shaft I used that I remember most fondly was the Aldila NV Prototype 60s which I had in the Cobra AMP...had that club on a string

I have a swing speed in low 90s with driver. Generally hit it pretty straight but not the longest. I do have a pretty quick tempo

Any advice is greatly appreciated

First.....WELCOME TO THP!!! I'm fairly new myself. This is a great forum.

So many great shaft options out there. I've tried the Ping tour and agree it can be pretty stout and kinda life less. Picking a shaft for someone without more info is rough. You may get better suggestions with a bit more info:
What loft is your driver?
What flex is the tour shaft?
What is your current ball flight?
What is your desired flight (draw, fade, high, mid, low....guessing low, as I see you are in Ireland)?
Driver goal: accuracy, distance or balanced?
SS = 90s
Transition = quick
Current spin range?
Current launch angle?
Angle of attack?
Budget?

General quick comment: NV is from Aldila. So staying in that family, have you tried the Rogues? I have a Black 95 7X that I like quite a bit. Check out the Rogue black...nicely balanced shaft and not too costly. Can likely get one pretty cheap.

Just some thoughts.....I figure this info might help others help you....

Welcome to THP.

If you can find a Ping fitting cart, they should have the new "stock" shafts for the G400. The shafts for the G400 are compatible with the G, and, would allow you to test them with your G driver. It is better to get a recommendation from some one, that can see your golf swing vs. taking recommendations through the internet.

Thanks for the welcome & the response. The shaft I have is the Tour 65 in stiff. My spin range when I was fitted was about 2400. Loft is 10deg. My current ball flight is mid to high & pretty straight...budget...I'm looking to keep it within reason otherwise probably makes more sense to upgrade the driver

I would look into the Fujikura Atmos Blue seems like it would be a very good fir for you. Also check out the Accra FX2.0 260 another very good shaft.

Thanks for the welcome & the response. The shaft I have is the Tour 65 in stiff. My spin range when I was fitted was about 2400. Loft is 10deg. My current ball flight is mid to high & pretty straight...budget...I'm looking to keep it within reason otherwise probably makes more sense to upgrade the driver

The Tour 65 has a profile built off off the UST Elements Chrome. So if you don't like the feel of that shaft you may want to go towards an EI profile that is a bit different. I find "feel" from one person to another comes from how you load the shaft, and load comes a lot from the shaft profile.

Myself, I love the Tour 65x, I love the UST Elements line, and I love the Mitsubishi white/red/blue board line (to include TENSEI). They all have a similar bend profile so to me, they all feel good.

Best I could recommend is trying out some different shafts and see how they load for you and then select flex to get spin numbers/dispersion you want.

Back