Shaft Swap / Club Building Question

AHA

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN: 5.9
I'm considering switching the shafts I have in one set of irons with the shafts I have in another set of irons. It's basically an equal swap of different shafts (S300 and KBS Tour). Both sets are in good shape, have grips already installed that I want to save and have the same standard specs.

For those who build clubs regularly, I'm curious what steps I need to take to switch the shafts successfully. Is it as simple as heating and removing the shafts from each set, cleaning them up and epoxying them into the other clubs heads? Do I need to replace the ferrules? Any other secrets or tips? Thanks!!

Its not a hard process. I use a shaft puller, but with steel irons, many dont need or want to use one.

If all things are equal, heat hosel and once the epoxy heats up, "pull".

I do recommend using new ferrules. I know some keep them in tact (not always easy), but I usually heat and cut for time saving to me.

Thanks JB! How are the new ferrules installed? I'm guessing it's a simple as sliding them on the shaft before installing the club head and then putting them in place. Does the epoxy hold them in place?

Thanks JB! How are the new ferrules installed? I'm guessing it's a simple as sliding them on the shaft before installing the club head and then putting them in place. Does the epoxy hold them in place?

Its a very easy process. Line up and slide on.

Sounds easy enough. I'm thinking about switching the KBS Tours that I currently have in my R9 TPs into my MP 62s.

I'm revising this thread because I have another question for all you club building experts. I have KBS Tour shafts in my R9 TPs that I'm thinking about removing and installing in my MP-62s that currently have TT DG S300s in them. Will they fit (tip size, etc.)? Anything else I should consider?

AHA Make sure you clean inside each club head very well, any remaining epoxy can lead to failure with the next round of epoxy and cause a head to come loose. Also clean and prep each shaft tip. A light sanding is also recommended for the length of shaft that will be coated with epoxy and inserted into the new club head. I agree with JB that ferrules are easier just cut off and start with new! Golfworks website has a lot of good info on it also.

Thanks Johnboy! I've been searching around but I can't find information regarding tip size for both sets of shafts and for the MP-62s. I just want to make sure the tip size for each set is the same and that they'll fit without shimming, etc.

They both could be .370", but you can check by using a dial caliper just above the ferrule and see if the numbers are the same......

The spec sheet from the TaylorMade website says the KBS Tours in the R9 TP are 0.355". I don't see it specified exactly n the Mizuno website what the shaft diameter of the MP-62s is, but all the custom steel offerings there are also 0.355"

R9 TP Spec Sheet

This pdf does show that the Mizuno MP-62s are also 0.355"...so I think you should be fine

MP-62 Shafts

SWEET...thanks knight and ad...I really appreciate the help!

I just removed the KBS Tours from the R9 TPs...they are in fact .355". Now I'm just waiting for my new ferrules to arrive from Golfworks before removing the TT DG S300s and reinstalling the KBS Tours in my MP-62s. So far, so good.

Just a heads up, if you run into trouble (as I did on my first shaft change) with getting the ferrule in place, drill a hole in a 2x4 that will allow the shaft to pass through, but not the ferrule, and use that to push it into place. It would have saved me alot of headache if I would have had that ready before I started.

Thanks longpar...I'll keep that in mind. I'm expecting the ferrules to arrive today or tomorrow. I took the MP 62s apart yesterday and they were SO much harder to get apart than the R9s. The R9s have a smooth bore hosel, whereas the inside of the hosel of the MP 62s is abrated, almost looks like it has small thread lines. I'm sure that makes for a much more solid epoxy bond. Can't wait to get these back together!

UPS tracking information from Golfworks indicates that my goodies should arrive today. In addition to the ferrules and shafting beads that I need for my assembly, I also ordered a few things to add to my growing club building/repair work space. I ordered a swing weight scale and a bench top 48" metal ruler. Can't wait to get my clubs put back together and test them out. I'm exciting to get the KBS tour shafts back in action.

Ferrules can be shaped if they are not a tight fit by light sanding with 800/1000 grip paper and acetone. In some cases just acetone and a light rub will do the trick.

So my order just arrived, MINUS the ferrules that I desperately need! I just called Golfworks and they are overnighting them so I get them tomorrow. Another day of waiting...AHHH!

Back