Shaft Tech – What is a Flag and How Does it Impact Performance?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
More knowledge gained! Who knew previously that there were flags in play during a round besides the ones sticking in the holes?

• Admin
Glad you guys are enjoying them. So much information and as requested by THPers, by the time this is over you will understand so much more about how a shaft is made and why it works the way it does.

Very interesting. Tphde sighting!

I like the progression if these videos and am looking forward to the next video and learn about how the flags are applied and what affect they have.

This is a cool series. I feel like I almost will know a thing or two come August. The new lead in and wrap u are pretty sweet to JB

• Admin
This is a cool series. I feel like I almost will know a thing or two come August. The new lead in and wrap u are pretty sweet to JB

Thanks buddy. The good news too is that they will be archived in the THP Classroom section of the home page for future viewing to answer questions.

Big fan of this video series. Interesting that they use more flags for a tour player vs an amateur.

So tour shafts have more flags then the general public? Does this mean the 'made for' shafts have less flags then the aftermarket shafts?

Shaft Tech – What is a Flag and How Does it Impact Performance?

So tour shafts have more flags then the general public? Does this mean the 'made for' shafts have less flags then the aftermarket shafts?

Something custom for a player can have more flags on tour. I should add that more flags does not mean better. Aftermarket vs standard it would be product specific.

Something custom for a player can have more flags on tour. I should add that more flags does not mean better. Aftermarket vs standard it would be product specific.

More flags would just be the need of that player, correct?

More flags would just be the need of that player, correct?

Correct. It really comes down to the properties of the shaft and the flags create those properties.

Correct. It really comes down to the properties of the shaft and the flags create those properties.

Is it safe to assume that stock shafts are all created the same or pretty darn close? I know it's hard to get an exact match but the number of flags in stiff shaft 'A' will be the same if they create 100 of these stock shafts.

Is it safe to assume that stock shafts are all created the same or pretty darn close? I know it's hard to get an exact match but the number of flags in stiff shaft 'A' will be the same if they create 100 of these stock shafts.

Inside a certain model, yes. If a company is going with lets say an ABC shaft for their standard, all of those will be created the same way with in a certain flex and weight.

These keep getting more an more interesting. I wonder if more flags means better or just different?

These keep getting more an more interesting. I wonder if more flags means better or just different?

More flags does not necessarily mean better at all.

How does flag orientation modify the flex point? And does the application of more flags help to pinpoint the exact flex points?

How does flag orientation modify the flex point? And does the application of more flags help to pinpoint the exact flex points?

It can change all of that. It's crucial to the design and properties of a shaft.

This series is great. Ive learnt more about shafts in these few videos so far than i knew.

He says the flags are different lengths and stuff but are they all the same thickness or different to change the characteristics of the shaft as well?

Thickness as a piece of prepreg they are the same.

Thanks JB.

Do all the shaft companies make their shafts this same way? With the prepreg and flags and stuff?

Yes. They do. Generally speaking.

I feel so much smarter after watching these!

Just caught up on this entire series and it has been very informative so far. Being a chemist, some of the terminology was familiar but it is so cool to see all these different facets and what goes into making the final product.

Back