LIVE UPDATE THREAD Shaft Up #2 Contest and Live Update Thread

I may need to scroll back through here a few times to look at the photos. Course looked great and the company didn’t look half bad either 😬

I may need to scroll back through here a few times to look at the photos. Course looked great and the company didn’t look half bad either 😬

The course was an experience, that is for sure.

Everything was awesome. Had so much fun!. @DannyLe and myself had a couple of drinks prior to departing St. Louis as we were both delayed. Then in DC had a few more as place was delayed until 1:20am. Got home last night at a bit after 3am. Hit the hay with sweet dreams of Bellerive!

I love how Fuffle is a word that works as a noun, adjective, adverb, and a verb. So many uses for a Fuffle 😉
It was hilarious when Sean Toulon pronounced the "ffl" of your old handle - "fflmaster" - and asked "what the hell is a fuffle master?" It stuck that night.

It was hilarious when Sean Toulon pronounced the "ffl" of your old handle - "fflmaster" - and asked "what the hell is a fuffle master?" It stuck that night.
I almost added to my handle because of my philly way of the English language. Think Peanuts and say it from Philly. :ROFLMAO: The guys kept doing a double take.

fuffle peanut (y)

Recap for the day:

First, I couldn’t ask for a nicer person to experience this with. @rlefig aka “the fig” has been a great teammate and person to have a great time with. I would invite him over and golf anytime ever with him.

Fitting:

I was first up and while I am never going to be mistaken for a Pro player 😉, my swing was consistent at the range with my normal swing. With that @DannyLe was able to try a few combinations to help get my launch angle and spin down. I normally hit in the 18-21° launch and over spin in the 3000+ range.

We tried the ST-X first with a few lighter shafts, and gradually moved up in weight. Next, I hit the ST-Z, but the numbers were not that great. It looked like the Helium shaft was going to be the winner, but after a few swings with the LinQ Blue, I was set. Getting my launch and spin down and increasing the carry was all you needed to see.

My carry increased from 215 to 222 and with the lower launch and spin the roll out is going to go even further.

Taking the driver out to the course was a bit different. Had some really nice drives and a few that I was trying to make sure I was in the fairway a bit more which lost distance. That was a bit in my head as I drove first and wanted to get my partner a decent chance to really go for it. Not surprisingly my 18th Tee drive probably was one of my best. Just gripping and ripping.

Tomorrow, it’s going to be just let it fly.

Anyone that doesn’t sign up the Shaft Up 3 is just missing out.
Thank you @fuffle master you were great as well and lets meet up again somewhere and get some golf in. Write up forthcoming. I thought i did not have to work today but I thought wrong

Quick recap on the fittings from my perspective. @fuffle master and @rlefig were the easiest fittings in a long time!

@fuffle master was first. Numbers from his gamer (not to be named):
  • Launch = 16-20
  • Spin 3500-4000
  • Ball Speed = 125-130
He hit it pretty straight with this combo with the occasional push slice.

Put him into the Mizuno ST-X 10.5. First shaft up was Quantum 4F3 to see if we can pick up some ball speed. He hit this combination ok. We saw lower launch and spin and little bit more speed. I expected this but wanted to pick up even more ball speed. Next up was LIN-Q Blue and wow...first swing was dead straight and numbers looked even better. This was repeated over the next 3 swings. I felt comfortable with this combo but wanted to check with Helium Black and whille it was good, it was not going to knock LIN-Q Blue out of the bag.

Final numbers with the Mizuno ST-X 10.5 LIN-Q Blue combo:
  • Launch = 12-16
  • Spin = 2000-3000
  • Ball Speed = 130-135
The net result was more carry and total distance but much better dispersion.

@rlefig upcoming. Numbers from his gamer (not be named):
  • Launch = 6-10
  • Spin 3500-4000
  • Ball Speed = 140-145
His gamer was a push cut over and over. He generated decent ball speed but needed to increase launch and decrease spin if possible...pretty hard combo.

Mizuno ST-X 10.5 with LIN-Q Black. Immediate improvement on all counts and he was liking this combination a ton. His launch was still a little low for what I want to see at that speed. I changed the head out to the ST-X 12 head and wow...he started to hit this combination even better. At this point, I wanted to test the Helium Black and first swing was a dead straight rope...first one of the bunch. He repeated this for the next 3-4 swings and you can see it on his face this was the right combo.

Mizuno ST-X 12 with Helium Black
  • Launch = 10-14
  • Spin 2000-2600
  • Ball Speed = 145-150
The net result was the same...more distance and better dispersion.

Quick recap on the fittings from my perspective. @fuffle master and @rlefig were the easiest fittings in a long time!

• Launch = 16-20
  • Spin 3500-4000
  • Ball Speed = 125-130

Put him into the Mizuno ST-X 10.5. First shaft up was Quantum 4F3 to see if we can pick up some ball speed. He hit this combination ok. We saw lower launch and spin and little bit more speed. I expected this but wanted to pick up even more ball speed. Next up was LIN-Q Blue and wow...first swing was dead straight and numbers looked even better. This was repeated over the next 3 swings. I felt comfortable with this combo but wanted to check with Helium Black and whille it was good, it was not going to knock LIN-Q Blue out of the bag.

• Launch = 12-16
  • Spin = 2000-3000
  • Ball Speed = 130-135

• Launch = 6-10
  • Spin 3500-4000
  • Ball Speed = 140-145
His gamer was a push cut over and over. He generated decent ball speed but needed to increase launch and decrease spin if possible...pretty hard combo.

Mizuno ST-X 10.5 with LIN-Q Black. Immediate improvement on all counts and he was liking this combination a ton. His launch was still a little low for what I want to see at that speed. I changed the head out to the ST-X 12 head and wow...he started to hit this combination even better. At this point, I wanted to test the Helium Black and first swing was a dead straight rope...first one of the bunch. He repeated this for the next 3-4 swings and you can see it on his face this was the right combo.

• Launch = 10-14
  • Spin 2000-2600
  • Ball Speed = 145-150
Love this recap! I think these guys will be enjoying their new driver set up for some time to come!

• Launch = 16-20
  • Spin 3500-4000
  • Ball Speed = 125-130

• Launch = 12-16
  • Spin = 2000-3000
  • Ball Speed = 130-135

• Launch = 6-10
  • Spin 3500-4000
  • Ball Speed = 140-145

• Launch = 10-14
  • Spin 2000-2600
  • Ball Speed = 145-150

I love hearing this recap from the perspective of the fitter. Thanks!

Shaft-UP #2 write up

What a great experience, I can not say enough great things about the whole trip and @JB @DannyLe @fuffle master and @JDSPGA are all wonderful people.

Left Boston on Tuesday and met up with @fuffle master in Philly prior to flying to Saint Louis. So @fuffle master and I board the plane to leave for Saint Louis and he says "man I hope the person who sits next to me is small" or something like that. Little did he know the person that was sitting next to him was right there and was not that small, but not too big either. That was quite funny.

When we got to Saint Louis I thought one of my bags did not make the trip, but we found it in the AA office. I have a bad rep so they might have been trying to bust me. Tried to grab an Uber to the hotel but it was $100, Lyft was $40 or something, remember folks price shop. Unfortunately, we gave the Lyft guy the wrong address, fortunately the correct hotel was the way we were going. I think we got in about 11pm. I did not sleep much the night before and was gassed.

Woke up Thursday morning at like 6am again could not sleep and we met up with @JB and @DannyLe in the parking lot, albeit in the wrong spot, and off to breakfast we go. After Breakfast went to Bellerive and had a great tour of the place, thanks to @JDSPGA . As soon as you get close to Bellerive you can see how nice it is. Then you drive through the brick posts and the gates and heaven! There is so much history there, great pictures and memorabilia and trophies. The facilities were pristine! Always enter these contests, I was lackadaisical on these in the past never again.

@fuffle master got fitted first and I was trying to listen what @DannyLe was saying. But I kept on getting distracted by the view. I was next up and we tried the ST-x, I don't think we ever did the Z. When hitting my BB Fusion driver @DannyLe could see the slice at the end. With the ST-X head we tried a number of shafts and each time hitting them you could see it getting dialed in a bit better. I was starting to really connect and get a good ball speed # (146-147 consistently) and good spin. Eventually the Helium 5F4 was the winning shaft. The head was an ST-X 12* and holy moly that is a nice looking club! That fitting was the start of a great summer o' golf.

After the fitting we had a great lunch at the course, I got the cobb salad but I am still thinking about the adult grill cheese with bacon and sweet potato fries. Then we tee off at 12:50 I think. My golfing was not the greatest but @fuffle master carried us the front nine. Luckily I was better on the back nine and helped out. I have a tendency to pull to much with my shoulders which leads to poor golf shots.

We lost the match which stinks, but I feel like we won the day as it was great.

Went back, showered, and out to dinner at Firebirds which was so tasty, I nice Pineapple Martini, couple of G&T's some great steak, deviled eggs, toasted ravioli's and topped off with Creme Brulee Cheesecake. OMG how good. There are so many good food pics. We just all talked and laughed and drank and ate, what could be better!

I think I crashed by 10pm, lightweight.

Thursday was another 6am wakeup, ready to go for an 8:20 or so tee time. The weather was a bit sunnier and temps were a bit warmer. Another day of great company and great golf. @JB @DannyLe and @JDSPGA all could really hit the ball. That was fun to watch. @fuffle master was d@mn good too. I think we all discovered we have a peanuts (nis?) allergy that day. The match Thursday was not as close as Wednesday's but just as fun. So many great memories and pictures.

The fitting was truly eye opening, I had never been fitted before but will never make that mistake again. I was telling @DannyLe how I was looking at getting fit and purchasing the 921 HMP's and by then he had seen enough of my swing to recommend the recoil 95 F4 shafts with all other settings standard. Those are now ordered.

After sweet goodbye's and safe travels and gratitudes to @JB and @JDSPGA @DannyLe drove @fuffle master and myself to the airport. Unfortunately all of our flights were delayed, @fuffle master got out first, so @DannyLe and myself drank. I got out next a couple of hours late and landed in DC to find out my Boston flight was not leaving until 1:20am, 3 hours late. So I sat at the bar and drank LOL, "I don't got no problems, shut up", "I love ya, man". Watched the B's win and the Lakers lose landed in Boston at 3am and now back to real life and work and such.

But all is good as I got to go on a great experience. I was just trying to read through all the thread and look at all the pictures we took and its all smiles.

Thank you to the forum, @JB @DannyLe @fuffle master and @JDSPGA you guys are awesome.

Shaft-UP #2 write up

What a great experience, I can not say enough great things about the whole trip and @JB @DannyLe @fuffle master and @JDSPGA are all wonderful people.

Left Boston on Tuesday and met up with @fuffle master in Philly prior to flying to Saint Louis. So @fuffle master and I board the plane to leave for Saint Louis and he says "man I hope the person who sits next to me is small" or something like that. Little did he know the person that was sitting next to him was right there and was not that small, but not too big either. That was quite funny.

When we got to Saint Louis I thought one of my bags did not make the trip, but we found it in the AA office. I have a bad rep so they might have been trying to bust me. Tried to grab an Uber to the hotel but it was $100, Lyft was $40 or something, remember folks price shop. Unfortunately, we gave the Lyft guy the wrong address, fortunately the correct hotel was the way we were going. I think we got in about 11pm. I did not sleep much the night before and was gassed.

Woke up Thursday morning at like 6am again could not sleep and we met up with @JB and @DannyLe in the parking lot, albeit in the wrong spot, and off to breakfast we go. After Breakfast went to Bellerive and had a great tour of the place, thanks to @JDSPGA . As soon as you get close to Bellerive you can see how nice it is. Then you drive through the brick posts and the gates and heaven! There is so much history there, great pictures and memorabilia and trophies. The facilities were pristine! Always enter these contests, I was lackadaisical on these in the past never again.

@fuffle master got fitted first and I was trying to listen what @DannyLe was saying. But I kept on getting distracted by the view. I was next up and we tried the ST-x, I don't think we ever did the Z. When hitting my BB Fusion driver @DannyLe could see the slice at the end. With the ST-X head we tried a number of shafts and each time hitting them you could see it getting dialed in a bit better. I was starting to really connect and get a good ball speed # (146-147 consistently) and good spin. Eventually the Helium 5F4 was the winning shaft. The head was an ST-X 12* and holy moly that is a nice looking club! That fitting was the start of a great summer o' golf.

After the fitting we had a great lunch at the course, I got the cobb salad but I am still thinking about the adult grill cheese with bacon and sweet potato fries. Then we tee off at 12:50 I think. My golfing was not the greatest but @fuffle master carried us the front nine. Luckily I was better on the back nine and helped out. I have a tendency to pull to much with my shoulders which leads to poor golf shots.

We lost the match which stinks, but I feel like we won the day as it was great.

Went back, showered, and out to dinner at Firebirds which was so tasty, I nice Pineapple Martini, couple of G&T's some great steak, deviled eggs, toasted ravioli's and topped off with Creme Brulee Cheesecake. OMG how good. There are so many good food pics. We just all talked and laughed and drank and ate, what could be better!

I think I crashed by 10pm, lightweight.

Thursday was another 6am wakeup, ready to go for an 8:20 or so tee time. The weather was a bit sunnier and temps were a bit warmer. Another day of great company and great golf. @JB @DannyLe and @JDSPGA all could really hit the ball. That was fun to watch. @fuffle master was d@mn good too. I think we all discovered we have a peanuts (nis?) allergy that day. The match Thursday was not as close as Wednesday's but just as fun. So many great memories and pictures.

The fitting was truly eye opening, I had never been fitted before but will never make that mistake again. I was telling @DannyLe how I was looking at getting fit and purchasing the 921 HMP's and by then he had seen enough of my swing to recommend the recoil 95 F4 shafts with all other settings standard. Those are now ordered.

After sweet goodbye's and safe travels and gratitudes to @JB and @JDSPGA @DannyLe drove @fuffle master and myself to the airport. Unfortunately all of our flights were delayed, @fuffle master got out first, so @DannyLe and myself drank. I got out next a couple of hours late and landed in DC to find out my Boston flight was not leaving until 1:20am, 3 hours late. So I sat at the bar and drank LOL, "I don't got no problems, shut up", "I love ya, man". Watched the B's win and the Lakers lose landed in Boston at 3am and now back to real life and work and such.

But all is good as I got to go on a great experience. I was just trying to read through all the thread and look at all the pictures we took and its all smiles.

Thank you to the forum, @JB @DannyLe @fuffle master and @JDSPGA you guys are awesome.

Thanks for the recap. Hope the ST-X with the Helium 5F4 is a game changer for you.

I know @JB gave you a hard time about that. He says my eggs look like a crime scene haha.
My dad and my kids do that, not me. Salt and pepper or may Hot sauce.

Ketchup on Baked Beans now that is a must!

• Launch = 16-20
  • Spin 3500-4000
  • Ball Speed = 125-130

• Launch = 12-16
  • Spin = 2000-3000
  • Ball Speed = 130-135

• Launch = 6-10
  • Spin 3500-4000
  • Ball Speed = 140-145

• Launch = 10-14
  • Spin 2000-2600
  • Ball Speed = 145-150

Appreciate the feedback, Danny! It's great to hear your thoughts on the different options. Take care.

Back