Shook

Shooktacular
Reaction score
Handicap
Ever since I started playing golf I just had whatever was off the rack. When I started buying new clubs a few months ago I didn't think I needed anything other than stock shafts in regular flex. I thought to myself "I'll never end up like the pros with the extra-stiff flex". But then after I'd purchased most of my equipment I found a Cleveland Mashie 2hy with an Extra Stiff Miyazaki C Kua 83x shaft. I hit it amazing and perfect my first time on the range. I then bought a 3 wood with the same shaft, then a Cleveland Classic Custom XL driver with the Miyazaki Kusala Blue extra stiff shaft. I continue to hit all of these far better than any other shaft, and they've really helped me boost my game. I'd like to get my irons reshafted (or maybe just buy some new ones?).

My quandary is - I've only ever tried stock regular flex, and now the Miyazaki extra-stiffs. I'd like to try other brands, but I'm still new to the world of customizing. What brands are comparable? And what would I tell a clubfitter about my shafts?

Ever since I started playing golf I just had whatever was off the rack. When I started buying new clubs a few months ago I didn't think I needed anything other than stock shafts in regular flex. I thought to myself "I'll never end up like the pros with the extra-stiff flex". But then after I'd purchased most of my equipment I found a Cleveland Mashie 2hy with an Extra Stiff Miyazaki C Kua 83x shaft. I hit it amazing and perfect my first time on the range. I then bought a 3 wood with the same shaft, then a Cleveland Classic Custom XL driver with the Miyazaki Kusala Blue extra stiff shaft. I continue to hit all of these far better than any other shaft, and they've really helped me boost my game. I'd like to get my irons reshafted (or maybe just buy some new ones?).

My quandary is - I've only ever tried stock regular flex, and now the Miyazaki extra-stiffs. I'd like to try other brands, but I'm still new to the world of customizing. What brands are comparable? And what would I tell a clubfitter about my shafts?

Welcome to the fun and expensive world of custom shafts. Something quick and easy to do to figure out the range of shafts that will work for you is to go to a golf galaxy or golfsmith or some other big box store that has the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer. Essentially, you take 3 swings with a 6 iron that has the optimizer attached to the shaft, and it will compute the best 3 shafts for your swing. It uses stats like tempo, swing speed and other factors to give you that estimate. It will help you figure out with X stiff is indeed best for your swing versus stiff and how heavy a shaft and whether you need something to help hit the ball higher or lower.

Outside of that, a good fitter with a launch monitor should be able to dial you in to a good shaft pretty quickly too.

Back