Shafts for lower ball flight

NoLine

Reaction score
Handicap
I've struggled over the the years with the high tee ball, yes there are some swing faults but 60+ hours a week and 4 hotel room nights don't lend to much time for practice. Looking for opinions from the board on shafts that have helped bring down their flight. As for my game I float between a 7 and 8, not a big hitter at all, only generating low 90's in driver SS. My strength is my short game.

By way of reference the last three shafts I've spent time with are the R.I.P., Myazaki 59r, and Eban Devotation 6.

Opinions are appreciated.

Thanks

hmm, the one thing that worked wonders for lowering my ball flight was to go with something heavier, and stiffer. i don't have a high swing speed myself, average around 105 w/a driver and i have the xstiff, 72g miyazaki black and it's awesome for me.

what ball do you typically use?

Moved over to the fitting section.

Which Miyazaki was it? C. Kua?

Have you tried the Kusala Black by chance?

There are a ton of shafts that can help this of course. Its all about getting the right launch. Any chance you will be up for the THP Demo Day? You will be able to try out a TON of shafts.

Moved over to the fitting section.

Which Miyazaki was it? C. Kua?

Have you tried the Kusala Black by chance?

There are a ton of shafts that can help this of course. Its all about getting the right launch. Any chance you will be up for the THP Demo Day? You will be able to try out a TON of shafts.

Yes, the C. Kua

I'm tempted to find my way to Florida for the THP demo.

Appreciate the feedback guys

Yes, the C. Kua

I'm tempted to find my way to Florida for the THP demo.

Appreciate the feedback guys

I think that I would like to see you work with both flex and number on the Miyazaki to see about getting the launch down. Im confident we could get you dialed in at the outing.

I think that I would like to see you work with both flex and number on the Miyazaki to see about getting the launch down. Im confident we could get you dialed in at the outing.

JB's right, if there's one thing that is plentiful at the outing, it's shafts! no doubt that you'll leave knowing exaclty what works best for you.

think about it this way: where else can you hit up to 15-20 different shafts, on a launch monitor, outside on a range, with no idiot sales person standing over your shoulder?

it's a win/win situation for sure. plus, i can garauntee that everyone will have ample time to be on the launch monitor and test shafts if they so choose.

Appreciate it guys, I'm going to make an effort to be there - I certainly have enough frequent flier miles!

Appreciate it guys, I'm going to make an effort to be there - I certainly have enough frequent flier miles!

You have already got over the biggest obstacle there bro. The outing is fun as all get out!

Sent from my iPhone so please ignore my horrid typing mistakes

How did the RIP work out? Was it the alpha or gamma? I've heard these shafts lower ball flight if it's the red eyes version.

This post has been approved by OEM Kevin

I have the yellow eyes version, not awful from a dispersion standpoint just launches pretty darn high. I played 36 in Orlando this week and it was not kind to me in the wind.

hmm, the one thing that worked wonders for lowering my ball flight was to go with something heavier, and stiffer. i don't have a high swing speed myself, average around 105 w/a driver and i have the xstiff, 72g miyazaki black and it's awesome for me.

what ball do you typically use?
Forgot to answer your question, I've been playing the Penta most of the time, I love it around the greens.

Just currious, but I changed my swing to a higher ball flight off the tee because I had a slower swing speed. Any idea what degree your launch is? That's something else you will find out at the outing, along with spin rates which will help in picking those shafts.

Hope to see you there.

I have the yellow eyes version, not awful from a dispersion standpoint just launches pretty darn high. I played 36 in Orlando this week and it was not kind to me in the wind.

trutst me, i feel your pain! for me, the best thing i did was go to something heavier and stiffer in flex. it's so hard to recommend anything without having #'s and some live ball flight action. i'm not trying to push the outing on you, but i can garauntee you'll come away knowing what you need.

trutst me, i feel your pain! for me, the best thing i did was go to something heavier and stiffer in flex. it's so hard to recommend anything without having #'s and some live ball flight action. i'm not trying to push the outing on you, but i can garauntee you'll come away knowing what you need.

:good:

What a timely thread! I was at Golf Town this afternoon looking at some of my options and I ended up hitting the R9 460 the most with the new ATTAS shaft. Average launch angle was 14* with a 10.5* head. Launch peaked at over 30*. Most shots were sliced, but I did manage to hit a few straight and some of those were launching over 20*. Real distance killers. The Attas is mid-high launching, should I be looking at a lower launching shaft? SS was in the high 80s (87-88ish) and backspin was 4000-4500.

Shafts going to be tipped for an R9 again?

Shafts going to be tipped for an R9 again?

Yes. It is the only way to have quick and easy turnaround for the amount of shafts that we have.

The RIP Alphas are pretty stout so do not let your experience with the gamma stop you from trying out a red eyed version as it is a different beast. Something like a Rip a70r or even an a70s might be worth taking a look at. Like others have said not having any numbers makes it tough.

Other ones to look out would be a 75g Motore F1, or even a VS Proto. If my memory serves me correctly the VS Proto can be had in some pretty hefty weights and that can bring down the launch for some people.

john

I hated the shaft that came on my R9 SuperTri. It was the standard not the TP and that shaft was awful. While the R9 ST TP is about $100.00 more than the standard, the cost difference is worth it for the shaft options you get in the TP. That is unless you want to change out to something completely different anyway. In that case I guess it is better to save the $100.00.

The RIP shaft that comes stock in the R9 SuperDeep is wayyyyyyy better and I really like that shaft. This might be the first time in a long time that I keep the stock shaft on a driver.

The combination of shaft and head that is in the R9 SD does yield a lower trajectory than what you see with the R9 ST.

Heavier stiffer fujikura.

I sometime have this same problem, but I was wondering more for my irons? My SS with my irons is slow, 85-90. I have reg flex shafts that came with the set, but want something to keep the ball down. Any suggestions?

I sometime have this same problem, but I was wondering more for my irons? My SS with my irons is slow, 85-90. I have reg flex shafts that came with the set, but want something to keep the ball down. Any suggestions?

Sure. Get a fitting done. :alien:

There are quite a few iron shafts out there that will lower ball flight, but truth be told, the best way is to get properly fit.

i agree w/JB's recommendation but i also don't think that you have a "slow" swing speed with your irons either. 90mph w/a 6 iron is actually pretty good. that's about where i am, albeit just a touch quicker, and i go the stiff route.

Another component in choosing flex is how you load the shaft. Some golfers with 100 mph swing speeds play regular flex and some with 90 mph swing speeds need to play stiff flex because of how they load the shaft.

I had project x rifle 5.5 in my old irons and got regular flex in my new irons cause my swing speed. Think I need to go back with the stiffer flex? And do flighted shafts help much?

Back