Shame on all retailers open on thanksgiving

Mystery Meat

Ben Hogan Fan
Reaction score
Handicap
Bad Gas
Sitting here reading all the day after thanksgiving sales. Sadly most of the sales are today and right now

so sad these retailers that never appreciate their employees are open today. Greed at its best

just wanted to vent and see if anyone else sees this as classic case of greed

Sitting here reading all the day after thanksgiving sales. Sadly most of the sales are today and right now

so sad these retailers that never appreciate their employees are open today. Greed at its best

They would not be open if people weren't lining up to go there.

Blame the consumers.

I could honestly care less.

I don't see what the big deal is.

Many stores are open on Thanksgiving evening, I dont know too many that are open before 10am (as stated in the OP)
Employees get bonus holiday pay in most cases and frankly that is part of being in retail. 7 days makes or breaks a retailers ability to keep its doors open and keep these people employed the rest of the time.

Not everybody celebrates the day the same way. Just as years and years worth of everything being closed on Christmas when millions of people do not celebrate the holiday. Now people have choices and abilities to do things at home with the family or get out and see what is out there.

It is dictated by the shoppers. I can see the argument about it but let's not forget the jobs that NEVER have a day off. Police officers,firefighters, dispatchers,EMS etc.

Also many of these stores pay their employees extra to work on these days so that helps out through the holidays for many employees.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Shame? Why....like Fuppy said.....blame the demand not the supply

Ohh boo hoo someone has to work and get paid time and half on a holiday.

The cops and fireman protecting you and yours aren't getting extra pay for working today or Christmas Eve/day, New Year's Eve/day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, 4th of July or any holiday that I may have missed.

How about our military that is deployed or stationed over seas that aren't spending the day with their families?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the food on Thanksgiving and really love the spirit that we should be grateful for what we have.

However, this is another holiday where I have to spend time with a bunch of people that see twice a year at most. I'd rather go see a movie and hang out with my wife all day. Getting good deals is just a bonus

How do you know they don't "appreciate" there employees? Some pay more on Holidays, end of year bonus, etc.

People love to go after the "retail" stores, yet a lot of them close around mid-day & maybe reopen or are just open in the evening. Restaurants, hotels, etc all seem to get a pass. Some restaurants have 2 maybe 3 dinner seatings, Hotels need staff 24/7.

bottom line is....You have to make the $$ when you can, call it greed if you want but if that store/restaurant/Hotel/etc are not open they are not making $$ & w/o those $$ maybe that store closes & then those people don't have jobs.

Get off your high horse for a minute and actually use some thought.

I grew up in a low income family and my mother worked in retail. Most of these retailers offer time and a half or even double time to work on Thanksgiving and typically have no problem finding volunteers to work. In my case, my mother volunteered to work every Thanksgiving. Why? Because she relied on that additional money to ensure that my sister and I got that special present that we wanted on Christmas. Other families rely on that extra money to give their children a good meal for once in the year. I've seen so many people talking about boycotting those businesses who are open on Thanksgiving, but if they'd get off of their righteous soap boxes for a few minutes and think about those who it really affects, they might feel a bit different about it.

You wouldn't take a meal out of the mouth of a hungry child or take the clothes off their backs directly, so don't do it by other actions either. If no one shops, the stores close or limit their personnel and that single mother who is relying on that extra pay to make ends meet may not be able to do so.

They would not be open if people weren't lining up to go there.

Blame the consumers.

Many stores are open on Thanksgiving evening, I dont know too many that are open before 10am (as stated in the OP)
Employees get bonus holiday pay in most cases and frankly that is part of being in retail. 7 days makes or breaks a retailers ability to keep its doors open and keep these people employed the rest of the time.

Not everybody celebrates the day the same way. Just as years and years worth of everything being closed on Christmas when millions of people do not celebrate the holiday. Now people have choices and abilities to do things at home with the family or get out and see what is out there.

Fuppy and JB have both hit the nail right on the head, it is all part of retail and the demand is obviously there otherwise stores wouldn't open

Slightly off-topic, but it always makes me laugh when you get to a holiday season and you see people buying ridiculous amounts of everything when the shops will only be shut for a day or so. The way some people buy, you would think the shops were going to be shut for a month

Wow ...

well some of the jobs listed above get paid way way more than retail jobs. And I asked one of the employees at Walmart the other day . They don't get holiday pay for working this, they are livid about working on thanksgiving.

I work as field management in retail and have my entire working life. I can honestly say that, for many locations, breaking even (after paying all of the overhead associated with running the store) on a day like Thanksgiving or Christmas is a good day. In larger cities in locations that do a good day to day volume it pays to be open on these religious holidays, but in smaller towns and low volume stores in large cities, it just does not.

I wish stores wouldn't open, but its not up to me. Next we will be open on Xmas. I don't see the need to shop on black Friday, respective since the deals are not that great and many have started days earlier .

I will also add it's no secret these stores will be open, so no employees should be surprised by this.

I remember once many years ago interviewing for a seasonal job & was told "the is our busy season & we are busiest around the holidays, so don't ask for any time off"

Walmart does bonus based on holidays worked to their full time staff.

Wow ...

well some of the jobs listed above get paid way way more than retail jobs. And I asked one of the employees at Walmart the other day . They don't get holiday pay for working this, they are livid about working on thanksgiving.

My son worked for Walmart last year and he did get holiday pay for Thanksgiving and Christmas, so I don't know who you were talking to.

If idiotic consumers stop shopping today that would give them no reason to be open.

I do however hate the retailers slowly opening earlier and earlier on thursdays it seems

I'm going to disagree that it's the consumer. There is SO much hype about Black Friday and the sales (even though, truthfully, the deals aren't that great) it's disgusting. Sorry, but if all the stores were closed, nobody would be shopping. Chicken or the egg?

I'm going to disagree that it's the consumer. There is SO much hype about Black Friday and the sales (even though, truthfully, the deals aren't that great) it's disgusting. Sorry, but if all the stores were closed, nobody would be shopping. Chicken or the egg?

Stores cant close because the internet isnt closed.
For all of the "I wish it was closed" and "think of the staff", lets remember that without these stores, many go without income. Anybody think Amazon cares if a local store closes down and those employees have no place to work?

How about we go a bit further.
How dare the NFL make their players work on Thanksgiving.

I bet if the NFL stopped with Thanksgiving games, the outcry would be "what the hell"

As long as there are people who want to make money, others that want to spend money and those who want to earn money, stores will be open. I have no problem with it and I am happy that Walmart is open because I forgot paper plates and cranberry sauce so the wife is going to stop on her way home............ from work.

And she doesn't work retail.

Back