Share your thought process.

Before I reach the ball, I've already noticed the pin position. If it's in back, I'll want to hit a lower-lofted wedge with low trajectory and try to land the ball short with a big hop and check. If up front, I'll hit the higher-lofted wedge and try to stop the ball next to the pin.

When I get to the ball, I'll assess the lie to make sure I can hit the shot I'm contemplating. Finally, I'll figure out the carry distance I want to achieve and the trajectory I want. I'll take a swing or two that feels up to the task of making it happen, then step in and execute.

Last week I was just horrendous with my wedges, but I never waiver from that process.

I'm usually just relaxed, taking in what's going on around me, and what's in front of me. I'm enjoying the walk. I'm having fun, playing a game.

When approaching my ball, I spend a little time looking for the best area, to land my next shot. I'm always looking a for the best area to give me my best next shot/putt. I read about this in an old book written by some old English golf guru, who's name escapes at the moment.

Once I have my targeted, landing area decided on, I don't think about my next shot until I step into my pre-shot routine to make my next swing.

In my golf game I am not one who can stay focused on my game for long periods of time. Especially not for 3.5-4.5 hours. I just focus during those few seconds it takes to hit one shot at a time.

I am out there playing just to have fun. The good scores (and bad) take care of themselves.

You have hit a good drive. The distance to the pin on your approach is a good solid wedge (you pick which one). What is your thought process or your routine as you are approaching the ball to give yourself the best chance at a realistic birdie putt?

Right now..... I pray. :rolleyes:

When I play well, I'm only focusing on seeing it and feeling it. No mechanical swing thoughts

I only shy away if the pin is tucked in bad places, and then I'll shoot towards the middle.

You have hit a good drive. The distance to the pin on your approach is a good solid wedge (you pick which one). What is your thought process or your routine as you are approaching the ball to give yourself the best chance at a realistic birdie putt?
Tempo tempo tempo.

Back