CONTEST Share Your Tips Sponsored by Golf Pride

Apply grip tape
Apply solvent
Let sit for about 15-20 seconds
Then grip and rip it on!

Roller brush paint tray under work station to collect and reuse solvent throughout procedure.

Tour wrap microsuede
Snsr contour pro or green star

Last edited:
Be warned, talk of butts and shafts to follow. Get your mind out of the gutter, we are talking regripping here!

-Go with the solvent and tape method for your grips. Provides stability and peace of mind that there will be no slippage.
-Use a hooked knife blade to protect your shaft when cutting off your old grip. Cut away from yourself, don't be an idiot.
-If your old grip tape is being finicky when trying to remove it, a quick bit of heat with a heat gun or hair dryer will help loosen the adhesive and will pull right off. Trust me, your thumb and fingertips will thank you (trying to peel off tape is probably my most hated part of a regrip.
-Give the shaft a clean up before applying new tape, no one wants a bumpy feeling grip.
-Apply your tape, in whichever manner is your preference.
-I like to have the shaft in a shaft clamp to keep everything stationary. If you have a grip station, use that, I dont so I just position a small stand under the grip end of the shaft and put a plastic tub under it to catch excess solvent.
-Get your grip ready. Peel off the wrapper, shove a tee into the hole in the butt end of the grip (this will keep solvent in the grip in the next step).
-Solvent time. Pour solvent into you grip (that has the tee shoved in the butt). Slosh it around, and then pour it out over the tape covered shaft. Remove the tee from the butt end of the grip.
-Insert the grip onto the shaft and slide it down the shaft until it reaches the butt of the grip.
-Align your grip as desired. Logo up, logo down, logo sideways, barbershop twist.... well maybe not the last two.
-Give everything a wipe down and inspection, and set aside to dry up before first use. If there are issues, now is the time to fix it.

Enjoy your new grips. Regripping yourself saves some money, is generally easy to do, and is an easy way to get sucked into the club building rabbit hole.

My favorite Golf Pride Grips? A longtime fan of the MCC (New Decade Multi Compound). My all time favorite grip. A bit of flash from the color choices and just a solid solid grip. Tour SNSR Contour Pro would be my choice if I were throwing a new grip on my flatstick right now.

Last edited:
After grip is installed, I align the marks sighting down the shaft, pop it out and set it in the address position for me to check the alignment, It HAS to look right at address .....

Favorite is the Golf Pride MCC +4 and Tour SNSR Contour

For me- The biggest is to allow new grips to set overnight, swing too soon, they will move....

Favorite is the Golf Pride MCC +4 and Tour SNSR Contour

Entry:

Don't stand in line with the shaft when you push the new grip on. If you used enough solvent some of it is going to squirt out the hole in the end, so best not to be in line with it.

Favorite Swing Grip: GP MCC +4 Midsize
Putter Grip: GP TOUR SNSR Straight

Last edited:
I use a piece of tape with a sharpie mark on it to mark the centerline of the old grips it gives me a point of reference between the old grips and the new ones. Useful for knowing how far down and when using aligned grips.

Golf Pride MCC +4 midsize
Putter: SNSR Contour

Thanks for the contest!

Last edited:
Use a sharp razor blade for removing old grips. And always cut away from yourself. (y)

I always a apply a little bit of heat to old grip tape. With a little heat it peels right off

Favorite Golf Pride grips are MCC and Tour SNSR Contour pro

I made my own re-Grip station using a counter height stool along with a extra large disposable paint tray below my vice. I put blue masking tape just below the old grip and use a small square to align the dots on old grip and mark the tape for alignment for new grip.
I use mineral spirits and kitchen squeeze bottles for applying it to the grip and shaft.
Carpet blades work great for removing old grip.

My favorite grip is CP2 Wrap in standard size.

My favorite putter grip is Tour SNSR Straight

Last edited:
The best tip for regripping is that a Sharpie Marker is the most important tool in the gripping process. Rub the side of the marker on the tape to smooth out any wrinkles and insure good adhesion of the tape to the shaft. It also makes build ups easier because it compresses the layers of tape smoothly allowing easier install of the grip!

Attachments

• iu-5.jpeg
    iu-5.jpeg
    15.6 KB · Views: 3
You don't need a vice. Just a sink and your hands. Once you have put the solvent on over the sink - put the clubhead on the ground, one hand holding the shaft, and one towards the end of the grip - as long as you have enough solvent, you can get the grip on easily.

Gripping is pretty easy once you get over the hurdle of actually trying it.

1. Solvent
2. Bucket or trough to catch solvent...why waste?
3. Tape - double sided
4. Vice
5. Hook style razor blade.
6. Tee

Once you have the above materials use the hook style razor blade to remove old grips & tape. Clamp club into vise for stability and pour solvent into open end of grip, make sure to put a tee in other hole on top of grip. Pour solvent on double sided tape & slide grip on.

Pro tip - you can never have too much solvent.

Invest in a hooked blade for grip removal. It makes cutting off the old grip easier, safer, and with less of a chance of damage to a graphite shaft. The blade always works away from you, which is the safest way to work.

Favorite grips:
MCC Align +4 and Tour SNSR Contour

While regripping last night I learned that using a heat gun to warm up the old grip tape a little helps it peel off much easier and in bigger chunks.

My favorite grips are the MCC grips for my clubs and Tour SNSR Contour Pro.

Question: What is the easiest way to remove a grip that you want to save and reuse? Also, what is the best way to clean/care for your grips?
Favorite grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Cord BCT Tour SNSR Straight

I have never re gripped before so I am pumped about this thread and all of the tips that will come across!

My entry:

What are the main items needed for re-gripping? And is it cost effective?

Favorite Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvets, but willing to explore others ;)
Putter Grip: Odyssey Mauduro Pistol

My tip:

I've not regripped clubs before so I pay someone to do it. That way I know it's done right.(y)

Favorite grip: CP2 Pro
Favorite putter grip: Tour Tradition

Stubborn grip tape after old grip has been removed?? Use a heat gun, Low-medium heat, apply for a few seconds, old tape comes right off, wipe with mineral spirits and the butt end of the shaft is cleaned and ready to go !!

Favorite Swing Grip: Tour Velvet
Favorite putter grip: SNSR Contour

What is the best way to remove old tape?

CP2 PRO
TOUR SNSR STRAIGHT

Pro tip: Never, ever use your feet to hold the clubhead in place while you push the grip down with body weight and such. If your hands slip off, you can look really foolish in front of Golf Pride marketing staff, and then need to sit down for a few minutes while you breathe it off.

Fav grips: NDMC align, tour classic putter grip.

If you have a heat gun, these work wonders in helping remove the old tape.

Hairspray instead of solvent? Yep, tried it once and it worked great. I used cheap hairspray from the dollar store and poured it liquid-form into the grip and over the tape. The grip slid on easily and dried quickly.

@Home Regrip newbie

If I were going to enter the re-grip world for the first time, what do I need to purchase and where do you commonly shop for the necessities?

I recently did the grip fitting which yielded:

Favorite Swing Grip: MCC PLUS4 ALIGN
Favorite putter grip: Tour SNSR Contour Pro

Back