CONTEST Share Your Tips Sponsored by Golf Pride

Similar to a earlier tip, I use a small marker to make a line on the shaft at the end of the old grip and use the center mark of the old grip to mark a small center mark though the first line, like a “T”. This helps me make sure I get the new grip all the way down.

My favorite Golf Pride grip is the MCC+4, great for those humid Florida days.
My favorite Golf Pride putter grip is the Tour SNSR Straight 140cc.

@Home Regrip newbie

If I were going to enter the re-grip world for the first time, what do I need to purchase and where do you commonly shop for the necessities?

I recently did the grip fitting which yielded:

Favorite Swing Grip: MCC PLUS4 ALIGN
Favorite putter grip: Tour SNSR Contour Pro

Golfworks.com
Razor blade set- their's comes with both hook & straight blades for about $8
Shaft Vice Clamp
2 sided tape
Grips

Home Depot
Odorless clear mineral spirits
Plastic paint roller tray to catch solvent
Spray bottle-make sure it's made to hold chemicals & not just water
Sharpie- See my gripping tip

Harbor Freight
Heat Gun-Get their 20% off coupon & wait for sale probably $10
Rags

I clamp a drywall mud tray to the end of my bench to catch the excess mineral spirits which can then be reused since it's clean.

Favourite Grip: MCC
Favourite Putter: Tour Tradition

I clamp a drywall mud tray to the end of my bench to catch the excess mineral spirits which can then be reused since it's clean.

Favourite Grip: MCC
Favourite Putter: Tour Tradition
I have at least three of these laying around and its so obvious, but I never thought of it. Thanks for this tip.

Would love some new grips but I’ve never done it before, so no tips from me. My small apartment doesn’t seem like the ideal place to try to figure it out. Someday though I will learn!

Tip #4: wear nitrile gloves so you don't get oils from your hands on the tape.

My favorite grip is the standard size Golf Pride MCC +4 which takes Arccos sensors and for putter it is the Tour SNSR Contour
Is this really that big of a deal? I ask because I have sweaty hands and this would make them worse... concentrating and nervousness and all that raising anxiety.

Wouldn't the mineral spirits or solvent remove the oils from the tape?

How sticky is the double sided tape? I've never worked with it... I'd be fearful the gloves would stick to it.

Is this really that big of a deal? I ask because I have sweaty hands and this would make them worse... concentrating and nervousness and all that raising anxiety.

How sticky is the double sided tape? I've never worked with it... I'd be fearful the gloves would stick to it.
I can't say that it's absolutely necessary and it may be all in my head. I like to keep my hands off the tape so it works for me

This is a good idea for another thread.

Would love some new grips but I’ve never done it before, so no tips from me. My small apartment doesn’t seem like the ideal place to try to figure it out. Someday though I will learn!

You can still enter with a question or maybe some of these tips help

Is it necessary to remove prior grip tape?

Favorite GP Grip: MCC
Putter: Pro Green Star

question would be: do you all have a favorite how to video for us regrouping newbies? I’m a visual learner (also sorry if this has been already asked)

loved the tools needed question

Grip: MCC +4 Align, tour snsr contour pro

when I started, I didn’t have much space either, I picked up a small portable vice ( one that can clamp onto a counter or table) and a workmate table. Had the utility knife so picked up some hook blades, ordered grips w/ grip kit to have the tape and rubber clamp. Had mineral spirits and plenty of rags and used an old bucket to catch the run off from the mineral spirits .

Is it necessary to remove prior grip tape?

Favorite GP Grip: MCC
Putter: Pro Green Star

If you are not building up your grip with extra wraps, I would remove the old tape and put on a new piece. If you are building up and the old grip tape remained completely intact after removing the grip, you can put a new piece of tape over the old tape.

Push a new grip on from the butt end of the grip rather then pulling it on from the bottom of the grip to avoid stretching the grip. Also, tap the butt of the installed grip on the ground a few times to make sure the grip is fully seated on the shaft.
Favorite grips: Tour Velvet Cord and Pro Only Red Star.

Question: is it better to re grip with tape and solvent or to re grip with painters tape and compressed air?

MCC Plus4 standard in red.
Tour SNSR Contour 104 cc

Really comes down to personal preference. I prefer the security of knowing the grip is glued on with my swing grips but do install putter grips with air.

Question: What is the easiest way to remove a grip that you want to save and reuse? Also, what is the best way to clean/care for your grips?
Favorite grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Cord BCT Tour SNSR Straight

1. I have a grip removal tool that slides up through the bottom of the grip that loosens the grip from the tape. Believe I purchased it from Golf Works. Do that about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up the grip them squirt mineral spirits in the hole of the butt end of the grip and then put the air compressor in the hole to distribute the mineral spirts to loosen the top part of the grip.
2. I use Lamkin Gripes to clean grips about every 15 or 20 rounds. Mild detergent in water and a nylon bristle scrub brush is certainly a good option also.

What is the best way to remove old tape?

CP2 PRO
TOUR SNSR STRAIGHT

Heating the old tape with a heat gun, or even a hair dryer, makes it come off much easier.

If you are not building up your grip with extra wraps, I would remove the old tape and put on a new piece. If you are building up and the old grip tape remained completely intact after removing the grip, you can put a new piece of tape over the old tape.
Considering the tape is about .025mm thick, it's not going to really increase the size that much. You would have to do that a number of times to build up the grip. To build the grip up properly, you would put a thicker masking tape on first a number of times, then the double sided tape once you have the desired thickness. So in short, you can put tape over the old tape at least once or twice before you would have to remove it. I've done it for years ;)

You don’t need a fancy grip station or alot space. A portable vice will work fine attached to a table or kitchen counter. But do use .60 core size grips unless you want a bunch of grips to get stuck.

Golf Pride Tour Velvet Cord and Tour SNSR Straight.

BEB013A3-FB79-46A5-BDBA-FDBDC9AD3231.jpeg

I've never seen a grip come loose (proper use of that word BTW) because I applied the tape with bare hands. Also, I don't ever see tour truck guys regripping with rubber gloves on and they do it hundreds of times a day, so regripping a couple times a year is probably not going to hurt you.

You don’t need a fancy grip station or alot space. A portable vice will work fine attached to a table or kitchen counter. But do use .60 core size grips unless you want a bunch of grips to get stuck.

Golf Pride Tour Velvet Cord and Tour SNSR Straight.

View attachment 8934962

I love the cardboard.

I love the cardboard.
I would make a joke but I use cardboard as well when clamping to our nice table.. I thought I was the only one

Ok. Liking the portable vice idea. It didn’t cross my mind. I was wondering how I’d grip the shaft in my regular vice without hurting it.

Looks like harbor freight may be the answer... or even amazon. I’ll just order one. Ha!

Ok. Liking the portable vice idea. It didn’t cross my mind. I was wondering how I’d grip the shaft in my regular vice without hurting it.

Looks like harbor freight may be the answer... or even amazon. I’ll just order one. Ha!

There are a number of rubber pieces that hold the shaft in place inside your vice.

Back