Esox

Reaction score
Handicap
We went to Golf Galaxy last night to pick up Junior Lancer's clubs which we're being regripped. As always we were looking at drivers. When we played on Sunday, it looked to me like she's swinging awfully hard for the ladies shaft in her Big Bertha driver. At the ladies night a couple of weeks ago they had her at 75 mph on the launch monitor. Last night, in flip flops, she was hitting Diablo and Diablo Edge drivers into the simulator and showing a ball speed of 115 to 117 mph.

I'm not sure of the accuracy of the simulators, not the launch monitor, but she was hitting really nice shots in the 185 to 195 yard range. She hit an 11* draw Diablo in a senior flex, and a 10* Diablo Edge in a regular flex. She said she felt like she had to swing the regular flex harder. There's no doubt she can handle the senior shaft, but I'm wondering if it's a big drawback to swing the regular if she's just below the swing speed generally recommended.

While I would like 11* of loft, the Diablo does not come with a neutral face in that loft. The Edge does. But if I pay more for the Edge and buy a senior flex, then she makes a quick step forward with her game, I'm stuck with a driver with too soft a shaft for which I paid $300.00.

What would be worse, a shaft that's too flexible, or one that is a slightly too stiff? Avoid the obvious jokes when you answer, this is my almost 13 year old daughter we're talking about.

Kevin

interesting predicament esox, but a very cool one indeed. impressive numbers for jr. i would almost think that either option would be ok. sounds like the diablo would suit her best now, but then i think that the edge could be something she could get into fairly quickly. if you purchased the edge and it just didn't work, i'd say you could recoup 80-90% of your money by selling it on ebay.

Esox,
If you get a chance listen to the last radio show we did with Tim Gillis from Miyazaki shafts as he discussed topics very similar to this. You want the shaft to be as flexible as it can be without causing issues. Swing Speed aside, has she been fit for a shaft? Because as many know, not all regulars are the same and one companies regular can be another companies stiff. Andy in the Ask the Pro section will be able to handle this better than most since this is what he does daily, but I am personally never a person that thinks people should buy clubs to "grow into", especially juniors that are serious about the game. The reason being, is that if it does not work now, frustration will set in. Have you thought about a driver with interchangeable shaft technology that way she could switch out as needed?

Esox,
If you get a chance listen to the last radio show we did with Tim Gillis from Miyazaki shafts as he discussed topics very similar to this. You want the shaft to be as flexible as it can be without causing issues. Swing Speed aside, has she been fit for a shaft? Because as many know, not all regulars are the same and one companies regular can be another companies stiff. Andy in the Ask the Pro section will be able to handle this better than most since this is what he does daily, but I am personally never a person that thinks people should buy clubs to "grow into", especially juniors that are serious about the game. The reason being, is that if it does not work now, frustration will set in. Have you thought about a driver with interchangeable shaft technology that way she could switch out as needed?

That's what I was thinking. A driver with interchangeable shafts would solve the problem and offer a lot more versatility for the future.

Esox,

She hasn't been fitted, and should be I suppose, but she has grown 3-4 inches over the last eight months, gotten so much stronger, and improved rather quickly, that any fitting we would have had done last year would have been obsolete in a couple months. I need to get her somewhere I guess, as I think she's being hurt by her current driver. She hit a couple hooks on Saturday where the club head came through funny if you know what I mean, and she did it with swings that would have been good shots at the end of last year. As far as interchangeable shafts, she's kind of funny about how she wants her clubs to look. Right now she thinks one of these Diablos are what pleases her eye. I not sure I want to fight that because I'm kind of the same way.

Maybe I should ask Andy. Can you move this, or should I start a new thread there? I would like the responses of the general forum, and the ask the pro threads stay pretty focused.

Kevin

I would say cut and paste your thoughts in the Ask the Pro section and we will keep this one open for everybody. I have a Callaway Diablo Edge 10* with a Miyazaki Regular Flex shaft in it...hehe

I would say cut and paste your thoughts in the Ask the Pro section and we will keep this one open for everybody. I have a Callaway Diablo Edge 10* with a Miyazaki Regular Flex shaft in it...hehe

She hit that same club with the Habanero regular flex shaft yesterday. Struggled with the first couple, then unloaded on three in a row. I need to talk to her coach, but after seeing her hit yesterday I get a little obsessed and get a little ahead of myself. Her mother keeps telling me to relax, but tournament season will be here before we know what happened.

Right now she's focusing on swing plane. When she's on plane, her power is considerably better than when she's does the inside takeaway. We have a new discount golf shop near us where they'll let you go down the street to a driving range and try clubs out. I would like to see her hit some outside, so maybe we'll do that over the next couple days.

I'll post this for Andy. Thanks JB.

Kevin

impressive for 13! she could probably outdrive me...

I was thinking the same thing China. Congrats on having such a great junior golfer Esox.

Shaft flex isn't just about swing speed. A lot has to do with how the player loads the shaft as well as other variables. I know a 12 years old girl who plays stiff flex. I know a fellow with a 105 mph swing speed who plays regular flex.

Shaft flex isn't just about swing speed. A lot has to do with how the player loads the shaft as well as other variables. I know a 12 years old girl who plays stiff flex. I know a fellow with a 105 mph swing speed who plays regular flex.

That is exactly what Tim spoke about in the magazine. Comparing John Daly with another golfer that both have the same SS, but different tempo.

Lots of options here I think, a fitting though would be beneficial. I was wondering if you could get a cuople of the drivers she likes so she can hit them with her coach and then see what they both think and might recommend. I would not stay far though from from what she finds visually appealing.

im 14 and use a stiff shaft but im also a male. anyway she is probaly not done growing and getting stronger yet so i would get a regular shaft

Back