Shipping/Shippers

JW Smoove

Waffles, always waffles
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
🧇
Just restating what others have noted (or not?)

1. Order from CA - sent on 6/8 (picked up on 6/9) is out for delivery today (6/14) west coast to east coast, sent UPS ground. Good.

2. Order from TX - sent on 6/9 picked up on 6/10 and 6/11 (no idea why - was 3 dozen balls from same company). Still out there in the shipping world, one went from TX, to AR, to MS, to TN and now not moving. The other went from TX, to TN to OH and is now in PA (hmm, did I mention that they both originated at the same location and are being sent to the same location as well? Thanks FEDEX.

3 USPS - I have sold a lot of just stuff that I had laying around, via ebay. Have shipped it all USPS Priority mail, picked up at my house TX 4 days, SC 4 days, CA 4 days, NY 4 days, CA 5 days, OH 5 days, IL 5 days. Ok, I'll stop now. And, all of these I noted - were sent before the Memorial Day weekend so that includes 2 non working days (for normal stuff, for USPS). I will also admit that back in the craziness - when the south/west had a lot of snow, I had both incoming and outgoing stuff delayed. I sent a putter head to HI and it took close to 2 weeks including multiple days in Guam. So, they are by no means perfect. One of the USPS packages was a box that I cut down from another box to send a driver (to IL), it arrived in perfect condition - I was surprised. I had to cut it down to get under the oversize charges (from $14 to $44 difference).

Ok, I am about done on this. I am just really stunned that FEDEX has become so, well, average to poor - and while USPS has slipped a lot compared to years past (pre-COVID), they are still (overall) pretty consistent. UPS as well - other than delays outside of their control they are consistent - slow as can be, but consistent.

I wonder how much longer until Amazon makes a play for commercial (non-Amazon purchased) shipping - they remain the gold standard.

If Amazon gets into non-Amazon shipping business, it’s over for UPS and FedEx. USPS will always have a spot due to its logistics into po-dunk towns with populations of 10.

Amazon’s logistics are amazing and just continue to get better.

I have had good and bad luck with all shipping methods lately.

Shipped a club via USPS to California, got there ahead of schedule.
Shipped a club to Pittsburgh, got there a day ahead of initial prediciton.
Shipped a club to Texas, arrived in 2 days.

Then I had some shoes shipped to me via USPS from Wisconsin, and they were stuck in USPS purgatory for over a week. I know the post office in Cleveland has been having issues with packages backing up, but that was really bad around Christmas, and cleared up since then.

Just have to hope for good luck, I guess. And get insurance!

If Amazon gets into non-Amazon shipping business, it’s over for UPS and FedEx. USPS will always have a spot due to its logistics into po-dunk towns with populations of 10.

Amazon’s logistics are amazing and just continue to get better.
You may be right - I think there would always be a place for UPS - as they can undercut prices with their ground shipping and larger packages/parcels.

Fedex - maybe having an new shipper (Amazon) would force to clean up in order to remain competitive - otherwise I guess they merge into UPS or Amazon for the trucks/planes/etc that they have.

I have had good and bad luck with all shipping methods lately.

Shipped a club via USPS to California, got there ahead of schedule.
Shipped a club to Pittsburgh, got there a day ahead of initial prediciton.
Shipped a club to Texas, arrived in 2 days.

Then I had some shoes shipped to me via USPS from Wisconsin, and they were stuck in USPS purgatory for over a week. I know the post office in Cleveland has been having issues with packages backing up, but that was really bad around Christmas, and cleared up since then.

Just have to hope for good luck, I guess. And get insurance!
Get insurance - you bet! Every golf club I have sent has had it since all the weirdness began.

Side note, my sister sent cash $200 to my daughters for a gift about a year ago. It was well concealed (2 or 3 sheets of paper and in one of the envelopes that further mask content. Magically it was damaged by the USPS and we received a empty 1/2 envelope with a torn letter and no cash.

Do their machines know or have some way of finding currency? I know the odds are that everyone has an issue someday - but a simple envelope - I have been leery of the USPS since, and yes, my sister was stupid to send cash.

I am just really stunned that FEDEX has become so, well, average to poor ...
That's because it's not your father's FedEx. It's FedEx Ground. FedEx Ground is really RPS (Roadway Package System) renamed "FedEx Ground." Just as the thing that calls itself "AT&T" these days isn't really AT&T, but SBC (Southwestern Bell Corporation) renamed "AT&T."

Corporations have somehow gotten the idea that "A rose by any other name..." does not apply to them
shake.gif

I wonder how much longer until Amazon makes a play for commercial (non-Amazon purchased) shipping - they remain the gold standard.
Hardly. The gold standard is and always has been the real FedEx. The FedEx of "When it absolutely, positively has to be there overnight." UPS Red Label is roughly equivalent.

As for Amazon Logistics (that's what they call their in-house shipping system): Maybe. Maybe not. Wait until they have to handle the same volume as those other shippers and see how they do ;) Amazon did briefly try competing with UPS and FedEx in selected cities, then dropped it.

I have no idea... I keep hearing about people having issues with FEDEX, UPS, USPS, and Amazon. Some never get their stuff. Some get their stuff late.

I know I liked getting stuff a couple of days after ordering it but lately it's taken a while. I guess it's Covid and there are no truck drivers?

They are all a hot mess these days. I have personally had much better luck with FedEx then USPS, but it's also twice the cost. I will ship something to Jman USPS and it takes 2 weeks, but FedEx takes 2 days. But then I can ship something smaller via USPS to CA, regular mail, not even priority, and it gets there in 2 days.

You’re right. I was trying to discount weather and some COVID issues.

but to some degree, yes they are all spotty.

we’ve got friends in Pawleys island. FedEx point “out for delivery” is Florence, 100 ? Miles away. They say that FedEx is just awful for them. Isaiah get their packages from a local delivery person who goes to Florence weekly to get the “lost” packages.

maybe hot mess is putting it kindly.

They are all a hot mess these days. I have personally had much better luck with FedEx then USPS, but it's also twice the cost. I will ship something to Jman USPS and it takes 2 weeks, but FedEx takes 2 days.
I presume that, when you ship FedEx, you're shipping FedEx, not FedEx Ground?

Update, my two packages sent the same day from the same location are now both on the truck (actually 2 trucks) for delivery. One left Hagerstown MD an hour after the other - yet, both were in Hagerstown MD at the same time (for several hours it seems - but is not totally clear).

For the record 1 package is 2 dozen balls and the other is 1 dozen. Same brand, same model but different colors (supposedly).

Kinda makes me scratch my head and wonder. Or,:banghead:

FedEx is the most reliable for me followed by USPS and UPS is a distant third.

Back