Shipping via PODS or some similar thing?

JW Smoove

Waffles, always waffles
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
🧇
So, my kid from New Orleans was here this week, told us what she wants to keep furniture wise. So, is best to just take it with us then she has to get a truck to drive from Charleston to New Orleans (after it's been in storage for 6ish months?

O, should I get a pod or (again) similar competitor thing and fill it up and ship directly to her house?

I have not dealt with PODS but have considered them a couple times. I don't know if the amount or furniture would be enough to safely pack one. Right now there are 2 dressers (tall and wide) one table, 2 boxes of clothes and stuff, and, in the basement a few other odds and ends.

If I had a pod delivered - I assume it would get where it needs to be and would be unpacked relatively fast.

Anyone have insight being in the industry or from experience?

Thanks!

I've moved a lot of times, and some pretty good distances.

I have done shipping twice and neither time did I like it. Neither were the PODS, both were moving trucks paid for by my company, they were more expensive and took longer and I had no control over how messy everything was.

If I had my choice, I would just rent a Penske (or Uhaul) truck and do it myself, it's not that big of a deal for me and it doesn't look like you really have a ton of distance either - just get a one way and go for it.

I’ve used PODS several times and wouldn’t do a big move without one. No ramp to climb, no worry about balancing the load and you don’t have to drive the thing. They’ll position it just about anywhere. Slopes are tricky though. It’s too easy.

I've moved a lot of times, and some pretty good distances.

I have done shipping twice and neither time did I like it. Neither were the PODS, both were moving trucks paid for by my company, they were more expensive and took longer and I had no control over how messy everything was.

If I had my choice, I would just rent a Penske (or Uhaul) truck and do it myself, it's not that big of a deal for me and it doesn't look like you really have a ton of distance either - just get a one way and go for it.
Thanks, we are renting a furnished condo for about 6 mos so it's all going into storage with whatever mover we choose - we are 'old' so less inclined to do most of the heavy lifting. But the stuff that will go from us to my kid - that's a small 'pod' of stuff, I am happy to store it but wonder about damage - in storage. That was my reason for the thread. I was thinking PODs for us - but the storage part and other issues changed my mind - the heavy lifting of really big heavy pieces - on this end and when they get to us at the house.

I’ve used PODS several times and wouldn’t do a big move without one. No ramp to climb, no worry about balancing the load and you don’t have to drive the thing. They’ll position it just about anywhere. Slopes are tricky though. It’s too easy.
Sounds really good - as noted above, old+lot's of steps - on both ends of move+ big heavy pieces makes it a no go for us, plus I had hernia surgery in Feb and my wife just had rotator cuff repair last week - so we are both sort on limited duty or injured reserve. But the one thing - pods small enough fit just a few (sort) of items for the kid in N.O. - I will check it out - thanks!

I'm kind of a wannabee dick. But I'm not an a-hole. Or is it the other way?:unsure: I forget.:LOL: (Regardless, I'm all talk and no action and a big softie.)[But now? Maybe I'll change that and work on really being a dick instead of a wannabee. No more mister nice guy!] (Ok. It's not really in my DNA to act like that. Dog gone it.:ROFLMAO:)

Anyway, why not tell your kid "it's yours for the taking. Make it go away. If you don't have possession of it by the time we move, too bad, so sad. Sorry, not sorry."

With the movers, how are you being charged? By the pound, room, piece, or...? If you've already decided you don't want it, and your kid does, then it should be your kids responsibility to move it. Otherwise, they lose it because you'll either leave it behind, push it down the stairs and break it, or sell it to someone else. Right?

Like I said, I'm a wannabee dick.

I'm kind of a wannabee dick. But I'm not an a-hole. Or is it the other way?:unsure: I forget.:LOL: (Regardless, I'm all talk and no action and a big softie.)[But now? Maybe I'll change that and work on really being a dick instead of a wannabee. No more mister nice guy!] (Ok. It's not really in my DNA to act like that. Dog gone it.:ROFLMAO:)

Anyway, why not tell your kid "it's yours for the taking. Make it go away. If you don't have possession of it by the time we move, too bad, so sad. Sorry, not sorry."

With the movers, how are you being charged? By the pound, room, piece, or...? If you've already decided you don't want it, and your kid does, then it should be your kids responsibility to move it. Otherwise, they lose it because you'll either leave it behind, push it down the stairs and break it, or sell it to someone else. Right?

Like I said, I'm a wannabee dick.
I hear you my friend, the kids both do so much for us, that I'm in dad mode, so I'm still in help them at all costs rather than toss it out mode.

She flew home for a week to help out with her moms convalescence how do i tell her no after that?

No worries. You don't seem to be the kind of person I described... although. Your kid might be looking ahead just a few days and seeing the increase $$ you'll get from selling your current house... and taking advantage of your good nature. Dammit. There's my pessimism again. Sorry about that.

Although as I shift into my new role of single dad, I find that I'm a lot less inclined to try to be a dick to my kids and a lot more understanding and nicer. So I totally understand you storing the furniture for them until they're able to get it after you move.

Heck, you might be able to take a road trip with them and see part of the good 'ol USA and PLAY GOLF along the way!! It's not like you won't have space in a moving truck for your clubs.:D:D

Back