Shoe cleaning, black marks from eyelets.

Chesnutt

Liv'in the Dream...
Reaction score
Handicap
the swing
We have a pair of Footjoys with metal eyelets. The eyelet has created a black mark on the shoe. I have tried putting polish on it but without success. Has anyone had this problem and found a way to remove or hide this? A plastic or nylon eyelet would have been a better choice.

Do you by chance have a picture showing what the black marks are and exactly where they are? I may have a few ideas.

As it turns out I do... well I'm multi tasking.

picture.php

Although most of the black is hidden when the shoe is laced, some does show and I expect it to grow as these shoes only have about 12 rounds of golf on them. Next thing someone is going to want her shoes replaced.

I am actually surprised the polish did not work. This may sound a little odd, but i would try two different things.

1. Magic Eraser - It works VERY WELL on leather, but must be treated afterward.
2. Auto Supply Leather Cleaner - This is usually mildly abrasive and should take away those stains in no time.

Thanks JB,

I keep hearing about Magic Eraser and never think to try it. Too bad I'm so far from FL. I could help you organize the auto detailing supplies. There's probably some cleaner in there... somewhere.

Back