Shoe Protector and/or Water Shield

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I've got a couple pairs of shoes that have some materials that will not only take on dirt, but also water. Wondering if any of you guys protect your footwear against the elements, and if so, what you use?

Looks like Scotchgard and Kiwi are the big players out there.

Scotchgaurd for anything not leather. I've used it before on suede boots and some tennis shoes. It seems to be very good. I've never used the kiwi stuff, but I'm sure it shouldn't be that bad. When it comes to leather, I've never had issues keeping them water proof, with quality leather that is.

For smooth leather Atsko Sno-Seal is my favorite. It has a beeswax base. For suede, either Nikwax or Scotchgard Nubuck/Suede protector are my go to.

Seconded on Scotchgard for fabrics. I've never used it, but have heard a lot of recommendations for Sno-Seal. Beeswax is good stuff for waterproofing leather, so any good quality product with beeswax should work.

Only a couple thoughts on this one so far.

Anyone else with opinions?
I stay out of dirt, mud and water.
Are these golf, work or casual shoes? What kind of shoes are these??

15863189740384618862479461123546.jpg
The Saphir works great on suede. I used the Kiwi a Callaway bucket hat for "winter" and it repelled the light rain without a problem.

For my winter field boots I always used SnoSeal. Caution, once you apply SnoSeal the leather is permanently changed.

I put neverwet on my mesh Adidas and had really good luck with it so far. A year later and I need to reapply.

golf shoes for sure.

For non-leather shoes or gear I like Rust-Oleum Neverwet. I use it on my hunting gloves and other fabric hunting clothing and it works great.

For non-leather shoes or gear I like Rust-Oleum Neverwet. I use it on my hunting gloves and other fabric hunting clothing and it works great.
Thanks! Only one really negative bit of feedback from leather boots on Amazon for this stuff.

Plus one on Ecco repel for all finishes. Not just for water, but any waterproofing spray helps prevent dirt getting ground in, often just a wipe with a slightly damp cloth gets it off. If you have Goretex shoes the Ecco one allows them to breath too. ( I was told by Ecco that the Ecco Goretex have a leather exterior that one one wants to protect withn spray, the Goretex is inside).

Also a big thumbs up for the Ecco shoe cream. Their products aren't cheap but it puts a shine and condition on even an older pair of shoes, including leather sneakers, that can make them look like new.

One last point....I learned that Footjoy's waterproof warranty is voided if one uses waterproof spray. Attached are a picture of Footjoy shoes that I've had for almost two years...not my only pair but ones worn frequently. No waterproof spray but just the Ecco shoe cream. I think you will agree the leather still looks terrific.

Attachments

• IMG_0340.JPG
    IMG_0340.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
View attachment 8936260
The Saphir works great on suede. I used the Kiwi a Callaway bucket hat for "winter" and it repelled the light rain without a problem.

For my winter field boots I always used SnoSeal. Caution, once you apply SnoSeal the leather is permanently changed.

I started using Saphir on my good city boots -- it works great. It is the most expensive out there.

I also have used the NikWax ... and Ecco Repel. Can't remember the results. I used Sno-Seal about 30 yrs ago when I went skiing - not for golf.

I'd rather try the Saphir - if it does not work for golf, I know it will work on leather and suede shoes -- If your shoes are textile, I'd go NikWax.

I spray mine with water repellent stuff but thats as far as I go.

The shoe brand Ugg's make a good waterproofer. New Balance has one in their accessory line that works well too.

I don't use anything. But I also live in a desert. haha.

Kiwi Sneaker Protector appears to work pretty well. I used to use Scotchgard but, on light colored shoes, it leaves brown spots / lines after they get wet from the inside via sweat or water. It goes on clear, but doesn't stay that way from my experience. Probably going to get some NeverWet to use next time the need arises.

I spray mine with water repellent stuff but thats as far as I go.
That's all I've done. I don't dare go farther based on comments that is changes the leather.

I put neverwet on my mesh Adidas and had really good luck with it so far. A year later and I need to reapply.
Does it help with keeping dirt off or just with water? I have white Adidas mesh shoes and need something to put them.

Does it help with keeping dirt off or just with water? I have white Adidas mesh shoes and need something to put them.
It waterproofed them, it does depend on how tight the mesh is though. Mine is a tighter weave and it worked. My wife's shoes are a looser mesh and it helped, but didn't seal them completely.

rustoleum never wet

Back