Shoe recommendations?

ketron10a

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My 3 year old adidas BOA shoe liners are torn in the back of the heel and starting to rub a bit on longer walking days. I just sold an older driver and have about 120-140 to spend on a new set. I’m really looking at the footjoy brand. I’ve had Puma, Adidas, and I believe some cheapo footjoys many many years ago when I first started out.

If you were operating within that price range what would you recommend? I’ve looked at the Pro SL BOA shoes and like them and see last years version on sale in that range. I’m unsure about non replaceable cleat shoes and their longevity.

I play usually once a week (but if I rejoin my local club this year it could be more) and I mix between walking and riding. BOA isn’t a necessity but damn the last few years has been awfully nice with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puma PWRADPT with boa are great, very comfy plenty of traction. The issue was if they have the pod the spike sits in fixed. (the pods would crack)
Nike Lunar Command 2 are great, great waterproofing, awesome traction, comfortable walking 18 holes no problem.

Shoe recommendations?

Get last years puma titan premium disc, great shoes

The Pro SL are great shoes and very comfortable. I play 3-6 times a week and my first pair has lasted about a year now and still has some life left. I just bought the most recent model. The spineless soles last much longer than soft spikes. I was concerned about traction when first trying to go back to spineless, but it hasn’t been a problem despite me weighing 250 and swinging my driver over 120 mph on average.

I like BOA on shoes, but wish they offered more color options or didn’t upcharge for MyJoys. I’m not sure what your club pro shop has them listed at, but they are $130 here:

https://www.budgetgolf.com/footjoy-pro-sl-boa-spikeless-golf-shoes-white-black.html

Get last years puma titan premium disc, great shoes

I had the Puma Amp Cell in black and orange about 6 years ago. Had them for 3 years and while they were eye popping they never gave me that “wow these are some Comfortable shoes!” while I was wearing them. They actually gave me some nasty blisters while walking 54 during a college tournament. They were always much better cart shoes I thought. My adidas were way more comfortable in both the current Traxion boas and the 2011 tour360 models I wore. Idk if I’m ready to go out on a limb with Puma again.

I tried on a few sets of FJs today and they all felt great. That’s why I was kinda leaning Towards them.

The Pro SL are great shoes and very comfortable. I play 3-6 times a week and my first pair has lasted about a year now and still has some life left. I just bought the most recent model. The spineless soles last much longer than soft spikes. I was concerned about traction when first trying to go back to spineless, but it hasn’t been a problem despite me weighing 250 and swinging my driver over 120 mph on average.

I like BOA on shoes, but wish they offered more color options or didn’t upcharge for MyJoys. I’m not sure what your club pro shop has them listed at, but they are $130 here:

https://www.budgetgolf.com/footjoy-pro-sl-boa-spikeless-golf-shoes-white-black.html

Those are actually what I was looking at. Wish I could use the extra THP discount on them for a no brainer. I agree on the color options as well. I’m not a huge white shoe person because they get disgusting quickly.

It’s good to know about the traction because I’m a touch bigger than you but my driver swing is just a touch slower. So your info is very helpful!

Shoe recommendations?

Actually doing some online research...I might even throw a nod at the Helix DNA as even tho not spikeless, they have a really low pro look to them

I had the Puma Amp Cell in black and orange about 6 years ago. Had them for 3 years and while they were eye popping they never gave me that “wow these are some Comfortable shoes!” while I was wearing them. They actually gave me some nasty blisters while walking 54 during a college tournament. They were always much better cart shoes I thought. My adidas were way more comfortable in both the current Traxion boas and the 2011 tour360 models I wore. Idk if I’m ready to go out on a limb with Puma again.

I tried on a few sets of FJs today and they all felt great. That’s why I was kinda leaning Towards them.
I’ve been wearing Puma almost exclusively the past couple of years, multiple models. They are extremely comfortable. Definitely prefer them over the Adidas, FJ and Nike shoes I have tried. I suggest giving Puma another shot. 6 years ago was, well, 6 years ago.

I’ve been wearing Puma almost exclusively the past couple of years, multiple models. They are extremely comfortable. Definitely prefer them over the Adidas, FJ and Nike shoes I have tried. I suggest giving Puma another shot. 6 years ago was, well, 6 years ago.

No doubt. I mean 6 years ago if I told all my friends I wanted all my clubs to be one length they would have told me I’m crazy lol

... I have used FootJoy athletic shoes for many years now. Same style and always have 2 pair in reserve in case they stop making them. I walk most of the time and FootJoys are the only shoe that is comfortable right out of the box and never give me blisters. But I just took a chance on 2 pair True Linkswear Outsiders that were on sale for $99. Hopefully they come in the next few days and I can post how comfortable they are.

An update....

Got to go to NY Golf Center. I tried on the following:

Footjoy Pro S/L BOA - liked the shoe. Felt super comfortable. Wore it around the store for a little while testing it out. Solid shoe out the box. Can definitely see long term walking comfort in these shoes. The backside BOA started to get to me. As I took them off and on the reaching awkwardly to tighten them made me feel as if the shoe wasn’t ever on as tight as I would like it. I prefer the BoA on the top for sure like every other manufacturer.

Puma PWRADAPT Ignite (non-disc model) - once again Puma hyped me up then disappointed me. Comfort wise they felt good and if I had a different shaped foot they’d be amazing. But because of that sock neoprene thing it bothered me. It was too tight around that portion of my foot for me to comfortably put on a 9.5 which was still slightly long on the toe box and way too narrow. And the 10 would go on comfortably but was way to big in the toes. I think realistically 9 or 9.5 wide would be the way to go but they don’t make wides according to website. I will say that if the shoe was made in wide I think it would give it the edge over the Footjoy. And the subtle hidden spikes making it an almost spikeless shoe is another pro that I really liked.

So with that said....what did I end up with???

ECCO Biom Hybrid 3 BOA!

I know it was slightly higher than I wanted to spend. But they gave me 20% off MSRP so after I took the money I made off the driver sale I was only out roughly $70 bucks out of pocket including tax. Not a bad deal for me.

These things are f-ing ridiculous. None of the other options I considered even came close to these. Like they aren’t even in the same zip code. Immediately they felt like a pair of slippers. Great cushioning. The spikeless design looks great. I’m not a fan of white as that’s all they had but I’ll try and keep them clean. The YAK leather is super soft and they have goretex waterproofing. This shoe is the best kept secret in golf. I have hardly heard of them and would have never thought about trying them and no one around me even carries them. BOA is on top so I like that as well. I can’t wait for spring to try them out. Heck I can’t wait to even hit some balls in the simulator.

I highly recommend if you haven’t tried them give it a shot.

8139c885f652d473accfd43610969a99.jpg

I suggest going to Budget Golf knowing you have the THP discount if you find something. Brand wise I’ve had great luck with Adidas. Comfortable and long wearing. Also they have styles with Boa. If you’ve liked BOA I think you’ll want it again. The Puma PWRADApt has been awesome too. Light and super comfy. Disc is their version of Boa.
Whatever you buy also get a good pair of replacement insoles and put them in from the onset. 90% of the insoles that come with the shoe are cheap and offer no support. Implus, Superfeet,Spenco are some of the better brands. You can take an ok shoe and really enhance it with a good insole.

An update....

Got to go to NY Golf Center. I tried on the following:

ECCO Biom Hybrid 3 BOA!

I know it was slightly higher than I wanted to spend. But they gave me 20% off MSRP so after I took the money I made off the driver sale I was only out roughly $70 bucks out of pocket including tax. Not a bad deal for me.

These things are f-ing ridiculous. None of the other options I considered even came close to these. Like they aren’t even in the same zip code. Immediately they felt like a pair of slippers. Great cushioning. The spikeless design looks great. I’m not a fan of white as that’s all they had but I’ll try and keep them clean. The YAK leather is super soft and they have goretex waterproofing. This shoe is the best kept secret in golf. I have hardly heard of them and would have never thought about trying them and no one around me even carries them. BOA is on top so I like that as well. I can’t wait for spring to try them out. Heck I can’t wait to even hit some balls in the simulator.

I highly recommend if you haven’t tried them give it a shot.

8139c885f652d473accfd43610969a99.jpg

Yes - I've had the same model since late winter - leather is extremely soft, super comfortable, sometimes I wear them to the store because they are just easy to slip on - as you said, like a slipper.

Just picked up a pair of the non-BOA in Black/Blue for winter - through BudgetGolf.

Last edited:
I suggest going to Budget Golf knowing you have the THP discount if you find something. Brand wise I’ve had great luck with Adidas. Comfortable and long wearing. Also they have styles with Boa. If you’ve liked BOA I think you’ll want it again. The Puma PWRADApt has been awesome too. Light and super comfy. Disc is their version of Boa.
Whatever you buy also get a good pair of replacement insoles and put them in from the onset. 90% of the insoles that come with the shoe are cheap and offer no support. Implus, Superfeet,Spenco are some of the better brands. You can take an ok shoe and really enhance it with a good insole.

Yeah I would have used budget golf for the order using their discount but I got a slightly better one in person at the store. But I had no clue what size I would be in for either Puma or Ecco, the brand I ended up in. Going forward and knowing for sure the size I need I will definitely use the discount available online and support a THP friendly vendor

These fit better than the BOA - a bit more secure - Ecco Biom Hybrid 3

Attachments

• Ecco Biom Hybrid 3 pic.jpg
    Ecco Biom Hybrid 3 pic.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 1
Ecco is a solid shoe. I had a pair years ago when Freddie first wore them. It’s one brand where I think they spent money for a good insole.

Ecco is a solid shoe. I had a pair years ago when Freddie first wore them. It’s one brand where I think they spent money for a good insole.

They now have sort of a 2 insole scheme -- the regular insole fits up to D width, take out the regular insole and they have an insole below it for widths greater than D.

I can’t do laces anymore. I’ve been spoiled. But I do wish they had more color options for the boa. I let my roommate try them on when I got home from NYC since we are the same shoe size. He was like “holy hell those are so light and comfortable!”

Thanks for the recommendations here! I didn't find shoes I want here in LV but I found eBay sellers nearby in Utah. Hope they'll send them to my zip code https://worldpostalcode.com/united-states/nevada/las-vegas soon without any delay. My current sneakers are barely living.

Dude. If you can get your hands on those echos.....they are like foot butter....idk how else to describe them lol. They feel so good

Back