Shooting par with no birdies??

Gus R

Reaction score
Handicap
none
I got to thinking about this and just wondered if anyone here has ever shot even par with no birdies and obvious no other score except par. I know I have not and don't ever remember coming even coming close. 18 pars just seems extremely difficult for me to grasp. I wonder what the odds are in doing that and if it would be harder than say making a hole in one.

I had a thread asking how many pars everyone had made in a round. I think a couple shifts they'd had 18.

I don't know about it being harder, per se, but I'd guess it's less likely.

My middle son, now a very good golfer (probably would be ~ if not for his mom and I breaking up, and me having a major auto accident and almost dying at the end of his Freshman season) once asked me 12 holes into the round if I’d “ever play good when he was with me”

I replied “are my 12 straight pars not good enough?”

Good golf is pretty boring. FW. Green. Two putts. I guess because I hadn’t done anything exciting it didn’t seem like it was good? It really wasn’t very exciting for me either. Driver on? Check. Irons on? Check-but not that on. Putter? No three putts but not making anything either.

I think I had 12 straight tap ins too. Of course he said something and I started pressing a little harder then. Made a birdie on 13 and then the wheels came off. I was pretty content with 12 straight pars but it wasn’t exciting to the 7 year old phenom. He had no clue if I was even par or even with bogey golf. He just knew I hadn’t done anything exciting.

He’d have much rather seen me alternately go eagle/double bogey on every other hole. Back then doubles were reserved for OOB shots only. Now I can make a double hitting a GIR.

I highly doubt I’ll ever make 12 pars in a row again let alone 18. Hell, at this point in my life and golf game I’d be super happy with 12 pars and 6 doubles in a round.

Fairly sure my best ever round as a teenager was +6 with 12 pars and 6 bogeys.
Strangely I was a much better player then but rarely made any birdies. These days I'm much more likely to get a birdie, but could easily follow that up with a quad.

My middle son, now a very good golfer (probably would be ~ if not for his mom and I breaking up, and me having a major auto accident and almost dying at the end of his Freshman season) once asked me 12 holes into the round if I’d “ever play good when he was with me”

I replied “are my 12 straight pars not good enough?”

Good golf is pretty boring. FW. Green. Two putts. I guess because I hadn’t done anything exciting it didn’t seem like it was good? It really wasn’t very exciting for me either. Driver on? Check. Irons on? Check-but not that on. Putter? No three putts but not making anything either.

I think I had 12 straight tap ins too. Of course he said something and I started pressing a little harder then. Made a birdie on 13 and then the wheels came off. I was pretty content with 12 straight pars but it wasn’t exciting to the 7 year old phenom. He had no clue if I was even par or even with bogey golf. He just knew I hadn’t done anything exciting.

He’d have much rather seen me alternately go eagle/double bogey on every other hole. Back then doubles were reserved for OOB shots only. Now I can make a double hitting a GIR.

I highly doubt I’ll ever make 12 pars in a row again let alone 18. Hell, at this point in my life and golf game I’d be super happy with 12 pars and 6 doubles in a round.

I have had some really exciting double bogeys and some boring pars :ROFLMAO::LOL:

I believe 16 pars in a round is the most I have ever had.

I’ve had 18 pars in a round at least a handful of times. Missing that many birdie putts is disheartening.

I’ve had 18 pars in a round at least a handful of times. Missing that many birdie putts is disheartening.

If anyone had done this I would have thought they would be at scratch or better. The lowest I ever had was 5.0 and I can't remember being close to 18 pars in a round.

I had a thread asking how many pars everyone had made in a round. I think a couple shifts they'd had 18.

I don't know about it being harder, per se, but I'd guess it's less likely.

If you stop and think about it a hole in one is just one great and lucky shot. 18 pars is hitting very good shots on each hole and making two puts for the whole round. One little mistake and poof it is all over.

My brother once shot even with 18 greens and 18 pars in a junior event. I can’t imagine anything more infuriating than that.

I think anytime I've been par or around par, have had a bunch of different scores on the card, several birdies mixed with bogies and a double or something.

I did however post an even par 36 (standard 2 5s, 2 3s), and did not write down a 4. Just had a bunch of 3s mixed with a couple 5s and 6.

My brother once shot even with 18 greens and 18 pars in a junior event. I can’t imagine anything more infuriating than that.

I shot 1 over hitting 17 GIR in August of this year, lol.

I shot 1 over hitting 17 GIR in August of this year, lol.

A few years ago I had 14 fairways and 16 greens in regulation and shot 3 over 75. some birdies some bogies including 3 three putts. For me it is hard to stay clean during a round.

Closet I have come is a 2 under 70 with 2 birdie and 16 pars.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I’m sure it happens from time to time but like others have said, it would be so hard to be that on all day

I have shot 72 with 18 pars. It was pretty frustrating to not make some putts. I had a round of 68 with 14 pars and 4 birdies also.

Closet I have come is a 2 under 70 with 2 birdie and 16 pars.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rats huh? Lol. Grind a little less hard and you coulda had 18 straight:)

Back