Shopping for Hybrids - Questions, lots of questions

Dartgod

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I've been having issues hitting my irons for quite some time. A month or so ago I was on a work trip and had an unexpected down day. I hit one of the local gold courses and rented clubs. The set had a couple of hybrids in it and I seemed to hit them pretty well. So I'm thinking about replacing my 4 and 5 irons with a 4H and 5H. I struggle the most with my long irons and even on the rare occasion I hit them well, I don't get the distance I'd like out of them.

I don't have a huge budget for these so any of the more recent releases are out of the question. I was browsing on Golf Galaxy's web site and they have Callaway Steelhead XR hybrids on clearance for $129. I stopped by on my way home from work tonight to take a few swings with them. I first hit the 4H with a stiff shaft and after a few swings got into a groove with it. I was carrying around 170 and averaged about 183 total. I expected to need the regular shaft, but the sales guy said with my club head speed (avg 83 mph) I should be using a stiff shaft

Now, the problem is they didn't have the 5H in stiff, only regular and senior. I did hit the 5H with the regular shaft and I was getting good distance (avg 178 total) but side spin was noticeably higher. I was surprised the distance was so close to that of the 4H and he told me I would get more distance with the regular shaft but better control with the stiff.

Anyway, I'd like to hear some opinions about what the sales guy was telling me. I don't know much about shafts and all that so he could have been BSing me.

• Is what he is telling me about the swing speed right? Should I be in a stiff shaft with that speed?
  • Should I expect the 5H in a stiff shaft to get me a little less distance than with a regular shaft? I would expect at least 10 yards difference between the 4 and 5.
  • Opinions on the Steelhead XR Hybrid?
  • Any other suggestions on hybrids? My budget for both clubs is $300.
  • I did see that Budget Golf has Cleveland Launcher HB Hybrids that I can get in the lofts and stiff shafts for $240 with the THP discount. I don't know much about them, but that seems like a pretty good price.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

No, what he is telling you was not hard and fast in terms of ball flight. Its not a downright untruth, but fit will play more of a role.
The Cleveland Launcher HB hybrids are very solid and the reviews in that thread have a lot of positives.

No, what he is telling you was not hard and fast in terms of ball flight. Its not a downright untruth, but fit will play more of a role.
The Cleveland Launcher HB hybrids are very solid and the reviews in that thread have a lot of positives.

Thanks. I did hit the stiff shaft with less side spin, but we're not talking about a huge sample size. Maybe 5-6 good swings with each club.

I really love the Calloway Rogue Hybrids. I have seen them priced in the $170 range at sale price. Ball really flies off the face with the jailbreak tech and I just like the club head shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1 - There is no industry standard for when a shaft manufacturer puts an "S" or an "R" on a shaft. So any rule of thumb on when you should use one versus another is a gross rule of thumb at best.

#2 - In irons or in this case iron substitutes always value accuracy over distance. These are your scoring clubs. Minimum dispersion (long vs. short and left to right) is most important. Gapping is next. So, distance is at best third on the list.

#3 - IMO any retailer who gives you a choice of two shafts, one with an S and another with an R is a retailer you should run from as quick as you can. With tens of thousands of shaft/head combinations, what are the chances either one of these are close to an optimum or even good fit for you? Not very good.

I'd personally rather have a 5-year-old head and shaft that is a proper fit (even if the components are used) than a shiny new club that isn't. Not everyone looks at this the same way. But for me, it's a tool and I want the tool to work the best.

#1 - There is no industry standard for when a shaft manufacturer puts an "S" or an "R" on a shaft. So any rule of thumb on when you should use one versus another is a gross rule of thumb at best.

#2 - In irons or in this case iron substitutes always value accuracy over distance. These are your scoring clubs. Minimum dispersion (long vs. short and left to right) is most important. Gapping is next. So, distance is at best third on the list.

#3 - IMO any retailer who gives you a choice of two shafts, one with an S and another with an R is a retailer you should run from as quick as you can. With tens of thousands of shaft/head combinations, what are the chances either one of these are close to an optimum or even good fit for you? Not very good.

I'd personally rather have a 5-year-old head and shaft that is a proper fit (even if the components are used) than a shiny new club that isn't. Not everyone looks at this the same way. But for me, it's a tool and I want the tool to work the best.

I understand what you are saying, but getting fit is just not an option for me at this time.

Thanks for the input!

You can still try different brands/models and shaft offerings for each model. Given your budget constraints, finding the different shaft offerings for each model and loft may be a challenge as they aren't current year models.

I played the XR Steelheads for a year and loved them. I traded up for the Rogues, which were longer. But the XRs are quite good.

If you go a Callaway route, checkout callawaygolfpreowned.com first. The XRs are listed in "outlet" for 110, and I think they are currently 20% off.

I had a coworker pick up two XR hybrids in "like new" last year for 55 each during a 40% off sale.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The Launcher HB hybrids are very solid. And the stock shafts for them are pretty good as well.

I'm a huge Rogue hybrid fan but you should try to hit whatever you can find. Distance will depend on the head/shaft combo and one may play better in regular for you while one plays better in stiff. Just have to hit as many as you can (I understand this can be a challenge). I will say that if you end up in a stiff, 5H will almost certainly have to be ordered or lucked into on eBay, CPO, etc. You'll rarely if ever run into that combo on the store floor.

OP, what were the rental hybrids that you hit well? Why not just start there, either new or used?

I played the Steelhead XR hybrids for a while and thought they were great. I wouldn't get too hung up on the shaft - at your speed I don't think you'll see much of a difference, so just play whatever feels more comfortable to you. I played the stock stiff in the 4h (roughly 200 carry), and also hit the regular in store. I felt like I could have played either.

I just bought the F8 hybrids off the Cobra website. $149 each with a large selection of shafts to upgrade. The stock shaft is decent as well. I bought the 3 hybrid a while back, and the rails do an amazing job of keeping speed consistent which leads to consistent distance as well. I went with the Hzrdus shaft. Super stable..

I'm a huge Rogue hybrid fan but you should try to hit whatever you can find. Distance will depend on the head/shaft combo and one may play better in regular for you while one plays better in stiff. Just have to hit as many as you can (I understand this can be a challenge). I will say that if you end up in a stiff, 5H will almost certainly have to be ordered or lucked into on eBay, CPO, etc. You'll rarely if ever run into that combo on the store floor.

Yeah, that's the problem I'm running into. I can't find the 5H in a stiff shaft anywhere. I'm considering the HB Launcher hybrids over the Steelheads now anyway. I can get the shaft combo I like and for a better price @ Budget Golf. I just wish I could hit them first.

OP, what were the rental hybrids that you hit well? Why not just start there, either new or used?

They were some el cheapo Strata clubs. Not interested.

I just bought the F8 hybrids off the Cobra website. $149 each with a large selection of shafts to upgrade. The stock shaft is decent as well. I bought the 3 hybrid a while back, and the rails do an amazing job of keeping speed consistent which leads to consistent distance as well. I went with the Hzrdus shaft. Super stable..

Well, they are in my budget and have just been put into consideration. Now I just need to find some I can hit first.

Back