ForeOnFour

Leave no birdie behind
Reaction score
Handicap
Around the greens I'm decent and rarely do I have to chip twice, in fact I would say chipping is probably one of my strongest facets of my game. I chip similar to Steve Stricker, little to no wrist hinge. Though I sometimes struggle with getting the ball to hop and stop for the most part I'm close to my intended target.

From 125 and in I have the distance most of the time but tend to pull them left. Sometime so bad I have to aim 10 yards right and still pull it to far left. These are dead pulls, no drawing of the ball involved.

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out why I pull them so bad.

So my question for you Freddie is:

Should I be using the same grip for long swings as I do for 125 and in, including chipping?

I have a strong full swing grip, seeing 2 knuckles on the left hand and both Vs pointing towards my right shoulder. I'm a right handed golfer.

Should I be using my strong grip for the long approaches, for chipping, both, none? Should I be neutral? Weak?

Thanks man!

Have you played with different grips? I use the same grip for every shot. I just manipulate the face for softer shots and stay square for spinning chips.

The pulls from 125 could be due t you club path. There is a tendency to get short with the wedge in the back swing. This gets the club path moving left instead of down the line. You could try a more neutral grip but be sure the left should still gets behind the ball so you swing path can work down or just right of the intended target line.

I haven't tried manipulating my usual grip yet. I'd prefer to use the same grip for all swings.

Chipping and approach shots I pull my lead foot back a little more to open up. I'm heading to the course tomorrow morning. I'll see if I can get a video of my current approach shots and a pic of my grip.

Thanks!

For short greenside chips, (those that don't require wrist bend), I normally use my putting grip which is LHL, ('left-hand-low' grip).

I go back to my conventional grip for longer chips when I need some wrist bend to apply the correct amount of spin. (Think of a 2-hops-and-stop type of chip shot, or what some people call a 'hinge and hold' chip shot).

So I forgot to get a video yesterday but changing to a weaker grip is not the answer for me. Threw me off and made me feel completely out of sync. Quickly went back to my strong grip.

I guess there is no short cuts to better golf :D

I tried to make sure I was getting a full turn and not shortening it up but at that point the weak grip had killed my confidence and I was thinking to much resulting in a crap approach game for the day.

More range time is in store for me.

Back