Short game practice, what would you do?

SundayHack

Reaction score
Handicap
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You’re at the short game practice area (pitch, chip, putt) with a shag bag of 50 balls. You can only hit each ball once, what are you practicing?

I’d probably go:
20 putts (15 lag and 5 within 5ft)
10 chips from rough
10 green side bunker
10 pitches between 10-50yds

10- putts (10-12’)
15- rough shots (5 flops, 10 traditional)
15- bunker shots (5 short, 10 long)
10- low launch spin shots off the fringe

Only 50 balls?

First after some stretching, and dry swings, I'd hit 10 balls to properly warm up.

Then I'd hit 10, 80 yard approach shots.

5, 50 yard approach shots.

5, 25 yarders to the green.

With the other 20 balls, I'd hit various pitches, and chips from around the green, to various pins. This, while reading the green for a ball landing area. I'd be looking hole out, or leave the ball close enough for a one 1 putt opportunity.

After each missed pitch, or chip, I would use my trusty putter to hole out. I'd want to average 2.50 strokes or less to hole out with each missed pitch/chip. (2.25 strokes is my goal)

I actually practice my short game ( sort of) this way. Only differences being I might use 70+/- balls, instead of just 50.

Assuming I have the place to myself, sling the bucket as hard as I can and take 50 shots with a 56* wedge, wherever they land.

Used to do it all the time.

Since chip shots and short pitches are areas that I need to practice, I would set up 5 stations with 10 balls each.

(assuming place to myself and I'm doing this to improve my short game and not simply warming up for a round)
It would depend upon the size and the makeup of the area but it'd be 50 random shots, each with the requisite focus and intent to hole out or at a minimum get close. Hopefully room to go out to at least 80 yards (preferably 120) with enough tough rough, moguls, and complex bunkers to make some of them difficult uneven lies. I'd never hit two in a row from a similar spot or two similar shots consecutively. This one high, then a low runner, a medium trajectory with extra spin etc... Some short sided some with run out. I'd use whatever wedge or club I thought gave me the best chance to stuff each unique shot and score them afterwards as I collected them all. How many holed, tap ins, inside 3', 8', 15', 25' ... how many missed green. (scoring them since I can't play out all 50 per your rules)

Last edited:
I'd probably toss all 50 down almost randomly, making sure that there was plenty of different lies and conditions. Alternate clubs between the shots to try and manipulate flight and roll out, and then try to one putt each of them. That actually sounds pretty good fun - might give that a go!

It's all about getting up and down, right? That's how I practice my short game. I putt the result of the chip/bunker shots. That way the pressure is similar to a real round. I take 4 balls and chip/putt them to completion, from the different areas. From the rough (buried and fluffed lies), from the short grass, from the bunker, etc. I find that this also helps narrow my focus. The last 4 I chip are exponentially better than the first 4. I do this before every round. If I don't do it, my scores are much higher.

For 50 shots I would make it simple and do 25 from 35-50 yards just kind of throw them out there, see where they land and hit them back in. Hard to know what shot I'll end up with, putting 5 in my pocket so I can have a re-do for a few of the shots in case something either exceptional happens to replicate or something bad happens to see what the failed result was all about. The final 20 putting 10 long, 5 mid, 5 short putts.

Back