Short Game Strategy

Jeanthemachine

Earl of Limerick
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.7
On full shots I often consider where I want my "miss" to end up. I would rather be 20 feet long on the green rather than 10 feet short in a bunker.

On short pitches, chips, sand shots and long putts I am trying to make or get as close as possible regardless of where my "miss" might end up.

Is this an appropriate strategy or should I think more about where I want to play my next pitt from rather than just trying to make it as short as I can?

this is going to be much easier to say than to do, but when I used to be able to play pretty well, I was a huge believer in positive thoughts and visualization....I will agree that this is pretty much a game of "misses", but I still feel we need to pick out a specific positive target and focus on that....I guess what I am suggesting is that on some full shots, maybe "20 feet long" should be your target instead of being considered a "miss"... (a "miss" might just end up pretty tight then..:clap:)

Close is the best strategy, but do keep in mind the green you're going to. If there's no danger, be aggressive. Don't worry too much about your miss other than to keep in mind places on the green that are likely to lead to extra strokes (i.e. false fronts, downhill putts, wrong tier, thick rough if you miss the green). When in doubt, be aggressive when an easy shot, and aim centre of green when not.

Welcome to THP guys, but this is the ask the pro thread, please keep it clean until Andy the resident pro gets a chance to answer, thanks!

Sorry, never noticed the thread! Will pay more attention next time. :)

sorry...it won't happen again

Back