Short hitters on Tour....

titleist981

Reaction score
Amazing interview with Kevin Kisner today. He stated that he doesn't play tournaments that he thinks he has no chance of winning. His distance off the tee is one of the deciding factors (287yds. 2021). The PGAtour does a wonderful job of mixing up the tournaments so distance and accuracy is an advantage on any course but not the over riding factor. My question is: If Brendon Todd can compete At 275 avg. off the tee, Shouldn't Kisner and other short knockers be able to compete on any course?. Maybe its a mental block on the short hitters part.

I think you also need to take into consideration the amount of roll these players get at most venues. I have seen drives that carry 275 yards, end up being 320 after the roll. If distance was the end all to be all, then Bryson would win every tournament he entered.

It matters a lot on some courses less on others but anytime you coming in much shorter clubs it matters. A friend of my son Denny McCarthy best putter on tour two years is a 290 type struggling to get ten yards of carry and is hitting gym hard. Unless you carry 300 on tour you have to pick and choose courses. Forced carries and whether or not mostly elevated greens matters. Overall distance big plus if even reasonable in accuracy.

How are we defining 'compete' in relation 'no chance of winning'. Because that's when Kisner said he doesn't play. And I get what he's saying. There's likely no mental block. There's a direct relationship to how far you can hit a ball and your ability to gain strokes, not lose strokes on a mistake, etc. It's a complicated relationship, but it's at it's core, a buffer. Take it away, and the effects are exponential. Everyone has a distance number, relative to layout of course, where their ability to score well falls off, and usually quickly. All other things equal, with shorter hitters that happens at yardages shorter than it does for the long guys. So certain tournaments are basically hail Marys for him where everything has to line up perfectly for him to even have a chance. Which means, he effectively has no chance. If you don't just want to grind a paycheck or a couple points, why bother?

Last edited:
The days are gone when golfers like Curtis Strange and Andy North can win a U.S. Open -- both short hitters in their day. The courses are too long and getting longer. The equipment readily gives the players an edge.

Why not shorten the courses? We are headed for a total 8000 yards plus. Better golf minds than mine are aware of the challenges the great courses face regarding distance ...

Good Golfing ...

A few weeks ago he said he plays in those tourneys because 20th place still pays a lot of money, surprised to hear him now state this.

How are we defining 'compete' in relation 'no chance of winning'. Because that's when Kisner said he doesn't play. And I get what he's saying. There's likely no mental block. There's a direct relationship to how far you can hit a ball and your ability to gain strokes, not lose strokes on a mistake, etc. It's a complicated relationship, but it's at it's core, a buffer. Take it away, and the effects are exponential. Everyone has a distance number, relative to layout of course, where their ability to score well falls off, and usually quickly. All other things equal, with shorter hitters that happens at yardages shorter than it does for the long guys. So certain tournaments are basically hail Marys for him where everything has to line up perfectly for him to even have a chance. Which means, he effectively has no chance. If you don't just want to grind a paycheck or a couple points, why bother?
Well, you bother because it's like Kisner says.......and I quote "The PGATOUR pays a lot of money or 20th place".

Fun stats:
Scoring average on the PGATOUR in 2001 was 71.29......Scoring avg. in 2021 is 71.14.
In 2001 scoring leader was TW. Scoring leader in 2021 is Webb S.

Getting the ball in the hole is the most important thing on tour not bombing it into the rough.

The days are gone when golfers like Curtis Strange and Andy North can win a U.S. Open -- both short hitters in their day. The courses are too long and getting longer. The equipment readily gives the players an edge.

Why not shorten the courses? We are headed for a total 8000 yards plus. Better golf minds than mine are aware of the challenges the great courses face regarding distance ...

Good Golfing ...
You do realize that they're playing a 6800 yard golf course today... a far cry from 8000 yards.

I just wonder if it's their approach shots (2nd shot) that might be a concern of the shorter hitters on tour. If they are shorter iff the tee, then they will be using less lofted clubs into par 4 greens, when compared to the longer hitters.

That, or needing 3 shots to get to the green on longer par 5s, where as the long knockers are getting to these greens in two.

I just wonder if it's their approach shots (2nd shot) that might be a concern of the shorter hitters on tour. If they are shorter iff the tee, then they will be using less lofted clubs into par 4 greens, when compared to the longer hitters.

That, or needing 3 shots to get to the green on longer par 5s, where as the long knockers are getting to these greens in two.
Zack Johnson can't reach all par 5s in two but he does alright with wedge. He makes his share of birdies.

Back