short putter players ?

I'm a little over 6' and usually play a 35" putter chocked down. I tried playing a 34" putter but it just didn't seem or feel right. I know, weird!

I just started using a 34" putter. I'm 6' tall. All my previous putters were 35". It feels a bit short but with a little knee and elbow bending, I am comfortable over the ball. So far my putting is night and day with the new putter. Maybe shorter is better for me. I putted much better with this one than a 35" spider, for example. Lots of other aspects also changed with the new putter, of course. But maybe shorter works for me as part of that package? Maybe my head in this setup is in a better position for lining up putts? I am far more on target so far, esp. with longer putts.

mtcowdog;n8893627 said:
I just started using a 34" putter. I'm 6' tall. All my previous putters were 35". It feels a bit short but with a little knee and elbow bending, I am comfortable over the ball. So far my putting is night and day with the new putter. Maybe shorter is better for me. I putted much better with this one than a 35" spider, for example. Lots of other aspects also changed with the new putter, of course. But maybe shorter works for me as part of that package? Maybe my head in this setup is in a better position for lining up putts? I am far more on target so far, esp. with longer putts.

It could be a shorter shaft length is easier for you to release. I think sometimes the longer putters may promote guiding the shaft/head thru the ball (rather than releasing it).
I've been practicing often rotating between 34.5" , 35", 35.5" and 36" putters., trying to find the length which gives me the consistently best results. So far the winner is 36" with a relatively light head (315 grams) and light grip (55 grams). I don't mind the shorter length putters however on those the head weights are heavier (330 to 335 grams) but those heavier heads seem to make it harder for me to control the rhythm and tempo of the stroke.

I'm 5' 10" and use a 33.5" putter. My stance is slightly bent at the waist and let my arms hang naturally, slight bend if any in the elbows. Rock the shoulders SBST stroke, works well for me.

OGputtnfool;n8893456 said:
I'm 5'8" and play a 33" SL putter. I feel like my posture is about neutral and my arms hang free. I don't lock them like "the scientist", but not have a huge bend at the elbow. Just kinda let them hang.

You mean install a lighter grip to get the swingweight back? If you install a heavier (i.e. weighted) grip the swingweight will drop further.

I mean install a weighted grip to get the overall weight of the putter back to where it was before you cut it down.

wedgeman;n8893548 said:
I'm a little over 6' and usually play a 35" putter chocked down. I tried playing a 34" putter but it just didn't seem or feel right. I know, weird!

Not "weird". Lots of players prefer to choke down a driver or putter (rather than cutting the shaft length of these clubs). When cutting shaft length the balance of the club, swing weight, feel etc... is much different compared to choking down on the shaft of the club. You are definitely not alone in your preference for choking down rather than shorter shaft.

I'm 6'2" and have always played 35"-36" putters. Last weekend I shortened them both to 34" and have been putting way better. I tried it after this thread, and realization that I put great with my wife's putter, which is an awesome SeeMore I cut down for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badger_Golfer;n8894295 said:
I mean install a weighted grip to get the overall weight of the putter back to where it was before you cut it down.

I guess as long as it's "weighted" to a lighter weight than it was before you cut the 1" off, it'll work. If it's weighted heavier, you'll be creating an even lighter swingweight.

I am a hair above 6' and I play a 34" putter. My stance and stroke is almost dead up like Brooks Koepka. My arms are nearly strait although there is some bend in them. I played putt putt every week growing up and I learned grabbing the shorter putters really helped me hit it strait on line which is all that matters in putt putt. The longest putters in putt putt are probably 37" by the way so if you keep grabbing the longest one and don't play well it's because they are too dang long IMO.

I'm 6'0 and used to putt with a 32" putter for years. I would pretty much take a standard posture with relaxed flexed arms. Every now and then I'd putt Nichalaus style if things felt off. I actually liked the shorter putter, but I wasn't good with it on long putts. I think I needed more swing weight so I had my putter extended.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

I’m 5’10 and play a 34” putter but my hands are further down the grip. I have elbow bend for sure and have a similar posture setup to Kuchar.

5’4” with short arms. wrist to floor of 32”.
i game a 33.5” putter. Slight bend in my arms and try and keep the sides of my biceps against my body. Slight knee bend and feet apart about 13”.

Had been gaming a 32” putter but once switching to a 33.5” I’ve putted much better.

I am 5'6". My putter L/L/L = 31" / 3 Deg / 76 Deg. Head weight 380g. Long neck close to face balance answer style. Standard tour size grip. Eyes over the ball at address. Middle stance ball position. Perfect roll as I really dreamt it.

I'm 6' and have been using a 34" putter. I have a bit of bend at the waist and some elbow bend but not a lot. Seems to work pretty well, I'm considering a 33" putter but will probably stay at 34".

5' 11" and bend at waist to get eyes over the ball. Arms hang naturally, fairly straight down for pendulum motion with shoulders. Putter(s) are 33".

I play about a 33.5" putter because that's where my arms hang, and I am 6'. I use a pretty standard putting stance and my arms are bent. As long as you aren't a T-rex or 6'5", 33-34 isn't that short. The Seemore fit method states 33.5" for me is ideal due to where my arms fall.

I'm 6'0 to 6'1. Here is my story. Poor putter for over 25 years and never could figure out why. Thought I wanted to try a Fat grip on my putter so went to shop to buy one. While there I noticed a white hot-- 2 ball putter with the grip I wanted used in 9/10 shape. I putted in store with it and had success. I bought the putter for not much more then the grip alone installed. Had a great season and had some great days putting. So this past Spring, I wanted to try one of the newer 2 ball putters. Shop did not have one but they had a 33 inch spider. the 33 resonated with me but I wanted a 2 ball. Came home and measured my 2ball white at 33.5. Hmm, I sense a pattern. then I went to Calloway used golf and found a new 33 inch two ball. In July I was in a PGA superstore in Myrtle beach and tried about every putter. Nothing as good as I have and virtually not a putter in store shorter then 34. all my golf buddies now see me as a good putter. My handi has dropped roughly 10 strokes in 2 years and much to do with putting. My right arm is mostly straight but far more to the story if you care to read. My learnings

1- put your putter on a flat hard floor. that angle is the way the putter must be addressed imo. For me even with a short putter the head of the putter is not directly under my eyes. When I deviate from this setup I get bias in my putt. normally a pull. I have wondered if Professionals have access to lie angles that are far from standard and that is why they can bend way over. Maybe the toe of the putter is still on the ground

2- I'm right handed. My right hand kills my putting like it does with the driver, 5i, 9i, gw and so on. I now grip more with left hand and keep the right hand a bit under putter. I see my friends putt and I can actually see the right hand take over the face of the putt on the down swing. They aim way right of the hole because somehow they know the right hand will square and close the face prior to impact. all good until they get a putt with lots of break then they are lost. Left wrist must remain firm through impact for most people

3- Finally, I am working hard this off season to groove a shorter back swing and more force in follow-through. My playing partners tell me on birdie and eagle putts they have seen me take too big a back swing then decelerate damaging both distance control and accuracy. A ball hit square with acceleration is not nearly as likely to veer offline because of spike marks or ball marks

also--- note the 2ball is a heavy mallet putter. no issue getting distance. I can hit a 90ft putt on moderate speed greens before I have to loose reasonable form. Within 30 ft and I can use very good form on almost any speed green other then a few cow patches I play in Florida in the winter.

I’m 5’11 and play a 33.5” putter in a pretty neutral stance with little elbow bend.

It is a 375 gm head at D6 SW with a SS Fatso 5.0 grip and modified (lightened) 25 gm counter weight to get it to that SW.

My wrist to floor is 35” in my golf shoes.

5'9" 32 inches seems to be my magic I putt a bit old school kinda crouched over

My maltby ptm-4 plays at 33.5", I'm 6'1". My stance is knees slightly bent. Hands low and close to my body. Arms fully extended but not locked. I've also become a hoverer of the club at address. Has made a world of difference. Putting the best i ever have with this putter.

I'm about 5'8" and think 35" is a little long, prefer a 34" putter.

Back